Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 257873 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.65a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #315 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:30 AM »

Is there a better way to handle the ship skin system (especially the D models)? Currently they tend to clutter the codex with lots of largely redundant entries, and the damaged versions are all the same.

It'd be nice if the damage hullmods were randomly assigned to a ship marked as defective, so you could have one Hammerhead (D) with broken engines, another with missing weapon mounts, etc.

How about a tab system? Each ship gets one entry in the codex but inside the entry there are tabs for each variant. It can have stuff like damaged/civilian/military/prototype/etc.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 22, 2014, 04:37:05 AM »

I also recently chased down a single pirate ship, some kind of smuggler, engaged it, used the "pursue" option, ran it down, destroyed it, and when I came out of combat I saw a notice of losing -156 faction with independents, and since the game was paused, I got to see that the now empty pirate fleet (of one ship) I had just killed had turned independent after I engaged it.

On a related note, I think I've experienced a bounty expiring during the short period that it takes for the empty fleet to disappear after it's destruction.
Not absolutely sure though, needs confirmation before I report if as a bug.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 22, 2014, 08:06:29 AM »

Toll ping response may be too short sometimes.

One time, when leaving an Independent station with my frigate swarm, an Independent pinged me while very close to me.  It took me about a second or two to realize what happened, and I turned back to chat.  The moment before our fleets met, I heard the relation down sound, and when I chatted, I read the stock friendly response (i.e, was too late to pay the toll).

I felt like I played a game of Hogan's Alley or other light-gun arcade game where I failed to zap the bad guy in time.

As experienced by others, I too had times where toll trolls ping me after I start warping to hyperspace, and suffer an unavoidable relations penalty.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2014, 09:55:26 AM »

Oooh, update. I only played a bit today but one piece of feedback I have is this: The Intel screen is completely missing any kind of info on which factions control which systems. I looked at that screen thinking to myself, "I wanna get in bed with Tri-Tachyon, let's see which system I need to go." Eventually I just had to fly around and find them the old-fashioned way.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:13 AM »

Oooh, update. I only played a bit today but one piece of feedback I have is this: The Intel screen is completely missing any kind of info on which factions control which systems. I looked at that screen thinking to myself, "I wanna get in bed with Tri-Tachyon, let's see which system I need to go." Eventually I just had to fly around and find them the old-fashioned way.

Seconding this, a list of stations/planets of each faction in the intel screen would be much appreciated.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:20 AM »

HELL YEAH!!!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »

Modders: just posted documentation for rule scripting.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »

Good... goood...

HighAsASlothPie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 22, 2014, 12:15:25 PM »

Not sure if this is working as intended or not but trading with pirates affects relations with factions only in that system (e.g. trading with umbra only hits sindrian relations). Also trading with umbra (only open market) triggers smuggling investigation events very frequently, of course I'm found guilty every time despite the amnesty towards using their black market.

On a side note, is umbra supposed to be missing free port? 

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 22, 2014, 04:26:28 PM »

Finally got the opportunity to delve into the game a bit deeper today, and I am very happy with what I found there.  Especially the atmospheric density is impressive, the game world feels so alive and dynamic. Trading is actually really quite entertaining (which is no something I'd say about many games that have it), though not yet quite as convenient as it could be. Combat is much more fun too, mainly due to the missile changes. Looking forward to spending more time in the Sector in the coming weeks.

There's one lovely detail I want to mention because, I think, nobody else did yet: The individual, fitting sound each commodity item makes when dropped is just perfect. :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 22, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »

Seeing as I couldn't sleep last night I spent that time playing this update. Here are some observations on things that've become rather obviously different between versions, nothing glaringly problematic but a little worrisome nevertheless.

Would just like to note that for mid-size fleets, despite having plenty of cash, there's nearly no supplies to get for said fleet at times unless in very specific systems. (medium as in 2 destroyers, 3 frigates, usage about 0.8 per day and I find myself, at least right after hitting this point, a little strapped for places to buy supplies)

Another issue I'm having is the lack of available hulls in general.
There's a bucketload of tugs, repair rigs and shuttles, but there's at most one or two available ships of a kind concerning other classes. black market is almost all damaged frigates and even the faction military tabs do not appear to refresh stock like it used to. (back before trading was implemented, new ships would occationally refill with the supply convoys, now they don't).

Which leads me to another point, While the diktat now sells onslaughts. Conquests do not appear in any port and odyssey has only appeared once in any market, on my end.
Is it restricted what they keep in stock, and if so, what is the refresh rate?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 22, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »

There's a bucketload of tugs, repair rigs and shuttles, but there's at most one or two available ships of a kind concerning other classes. black market is almost all damaged frigates and even the faction military tabs do not appear to refresh stock like it used to. (back before trading was implemented, new ships would occationally refill with the supply convoys, now they don't).

Which leads me to another point, While the diktat now sells onslaughts. Conquests do not appear in any port and odyssey has only appeared once in any market, on my end.
Is it restricted what they keep in stock, and if so, what is the refresh rate?
I too have noticed this. High and even some med tech ships, especially larger ones are very hard to find, along with high tech weapons. I think this is mainly because we have several low tech factions (Heg, pirates, Ludd) but only one mid and one high faction. And what is worse is that the pirates rarely ever get any high tech ships, which means you have to buddy up with the TT in order to get your odyssey, paragon or hyperion
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:09 PM »

Yeah, the general tech level feels much lower than before. The rarity of high tech ships and  the "D-hulls" contribute a lot to that. I think it's great for the whole post-apocalyptic setting thing.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »

Fortunately high tech ship's reliance upon energy weapons means they all suck anyway, so nothing lost ;D

Seriously though, energy weapons have been lackluster for so long, I can only conclude that there's a mechanic yet to go into the game that'll offset their poor range and pathetic flux efficiency.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 22, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

Fortunately high tech ship's reliance upon energy weapons means they all suck anyway, so nothing lost ;D

Seriously though, energy weapons have been lackluster for so long, I can only conclude that there's a mechanic yet to go into the game that'll offset their poor range and pathetic flux efficiency.

I disagree - the energy weapons have high damage output. The medium energy weapons are short ranged yes, but the pulse laser goes from roughly the same DPS to 50% more (and 1-1 flux efficiency) at max flux. Meanwhile a single heavy blaster has the damage output of 2-3 ballistic guns (seriously, put 1 of those on a Heron or Venture and those suckers are mean). A heavy blaster outdamages most large ballistic slots! Thats compensated by range and flux inefficiency. You also can't 'hide' from energy weapons by taking HE(kinetic) rounds on the shield (armor).
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32