Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ill show you my fleet you show me yours.  (Read 10442 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ill show you my fleet you show me yours.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

Is the reason why we often find larger ships boardable after action due to the fact that they have a lot of health and the finishing shots fired after the ship blew up doesn't count as much to the limit of when the ship could be salvaged?

Fighters too. I guess they're far to small to be hit again once they explode and the big ships just have enough hull strength to maintain the status of being boardable even if they take some more fire.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »

i cant speak to what the algorithm is exactly but in my combat experience. of which some of it was auto combat see results load game repeat many many times over with same fleet. i noticed that with auto combat it was very rare to get any ships that would allow me to board them after combat and indeed it was more likely that fighters and quick ships would evade my mass armada altogether... dang blockade runners.. ill get you Han solos of the universe. but if i did manual combat i found it (at least seemingly) more common to find ships afterward that would be up for boarding. also in my game at least the pattern seems to be that if a ship does not enter combat on the opposing side and i win said combat then they surrender in the after combat window and i can board them with no fight and get there ship.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 04:40:26 AM »

Everyone keeps saying that if you win a fight then the ships they had in reserve are always available to capture. This just happened:

Where's my damn paragon  >:(

megadylan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »

I would love to pit my full force against OP's and see how i go. Could 5 paragons survive the missiles of 11 Onslaughts?

here's an album :http://imgur.com/a/dLtVe
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:02:46 AM by megadylan »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 06:37:41 AM »

Everyone keeps saying that if you win a fight then the ships they had in reserve are always available to capture. This just happened:

Where's my damn paragon  >:(

i was reading a post Alex made in another thread
Ah.

Well, sir, I'll be changing the code so that you don't get any "surrenders" when the winning fleet is ridiculously smaller than the retreated one.

As to why they retreated - they actually figure out that you're being cheesy and kiting them, and want no part of it :)
and not sure but maybe this is why it didn't surrender. not because its ridiculously smaller but because it just is a little smaller.

here is the result of one of my combats right after i read this

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:55:50 AM by arwan »
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:37 AM »

He hasn't released a hotfix so that change won't have taken effect yet, so that isn't the answer. Also my fleet was almost as big.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:44 AM »

your 3 largest ships were cruisers the tri fleets 3 largest ships were all capital class

though that being said awesome job forcing a retreat like that  8)
Alex

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »

you had no marines lol, are you gonna send in your fry cook to capture a ship?
Edit: O: oh my you DID have marines, silly me!

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:10 PM »

the bars on the bottom are casualty reports.. he has 96 marines.. and i had 1025 i believe. though you can lose over 200 marines capturing a capital ship.
Alex

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »

you had no marines lol, are you gonna send in your fry cook to capture a ship?
Edit: O: oh my you DID have marines, silly me!

That'd work in One Piece.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

I figured out why they do not always surrender: its because the enemy fleet has to be 'escaping' not 'defending'.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »

that makes sense... they just always ran from me... guess my planet sized armada made them wet themselves every time.
Alex

AdmiralMaelstrom

• Lieutenant
  • When death approaches, fire another volley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »

Thank you! Forever now I was wondering why they "randomly" surrender or retreated. Also I seem to have a problem... there are no more large Tri-Techyon fleets left, is it possible to kill them off?
Whatever it takes, no matter the cost.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »

dont believe so i beat them up quite a lot if you give them some time they come back.
Alex

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »

Yeah, they will come back, but the interval for large fleet spawns is sort of random. The largest hegemony fleets also tend to trim them down significantly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3