Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting outdated mods to play nice  (Read 3560 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Getting outdated mods to play nice
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »

After making brief mention of Ascendancy in the Neutrino Corp thread, I figured I wanted to play it a bit, but alas, it's outdated and Psiyon has removed the downloads until he can make it work. Rummaging through my Recycle Bin, I discovered a couple ascendancy mod folders, pulled out the latest one that I had and dumped it on my desktop to work with it.
I knew the ships wouldn't work due to CR being implemented and I didn't want to try and mess with that, hell I'd probably just make all ships heal in a day and use 1 CR per ship for simplicity's sake. Instead, I just tried to implement the weapons. Grabbed all the weapon files and dumped them into another mod's weapon folder (Valkyrians, to be exact), added all the weapons to the other mod's weapon_data and sorted it out so it all lined up in the spreadsheet.
Start the game up, s'all good, no crashes. Load up game, s'all good, no crashes. Flick on console commands, spawn an Ascendancy weapon, s'all good, no crashes. Mount weapon to my sh- ABORT ABORT MAYDAYMAYDAYMAYDAY. Huh... "niafire", I guess I forgot the weapon sounds, durp. Lemme just go grab those and copy-paste them into the other mod's fx folder. There. Give my slow-ass craptop a couple minutes to load. *gets some soup* And back, and do it all again, spawn weapon, mount wea- nope... Is that the same error?
Well now I'm at a loss.... It probably would've been easier to just give all the ships 1 CR, 1 supply/day and 1 supply/full repair....

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting outdated mods to play nice
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »

I had a similar problem with DSTech and it turned out that some sound IDs had to be changed entirely to make it work.
If I am not entirely mistaken some of the sound IDs of Vanilla SS have changed.

So, to get this working you might have to update or change all weapons using vanilla sounds.

I hope that might help!
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:38 PM »

I can pretty much guarantee you that what you're trying to do here will only result in hours of pain. Mostly my fault on that since I've never made any sort of considerations for vanilla or other modded content working in cohesion with Ascendency.

Anyway, you need to make sure the entries for the weapons in config/sounds.json are added in properly. Most of the custom ones for my mod are at the top of the file, at least for the weapons. So you might get lucky with that. Don't just copy the whole file though, it will totally 100% break everything.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »

... will only result in hours of pain. ...

Yep, I had that as well with DSTech but it is only a small faction. I guess if you want to do that sound thing for a TC mod it will be much more painful.

PS: Great tutorial you wrote about converting 3D models to sprites, that was very useful for BGE, Psiyon. Also some really nice sprites you did there.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »

I had a similar problem with DSTech and it turned out that some sound IDs had to be changed entirely to make it work.
If I am not entirely mistaken some of the sound IDs of Vanilla SS have changed.

So, to get this working you might have to update or change all weapons using vanilla sounds.

I hope that might help!

I don't think Psiyon uses any vanilla sounds whatsoever in Ascendancy. Pretty much every sound is new, even the little clicks in the UI when doing commands or flicking through menus..

Anyway, Psiyon, do I just need to drag all the gunnery sounds and add them into the sounds.json in the Valkyrian mod? I can leave the music and ship systems as I'm not using music nor ships, presumably. So many weapon sounds in different categories.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »

In theory, that's all you should have to do.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »

AND IT IS DONE!

YOU GET A PURPLE LASER AND YOU GET A PURPLE LASER AND YOU GET A PURPLE LASER. EVERYONE GETS PURPLE LASERS! YES, ALL CAPS IS NECESSARY!

Now I wonder if I can bring the ships in.... that might be a bit trickier but at the same time, mostly common sense...