Poll

Which one is your favourite monster?

Mansikka by FlashFrozen
John by HELMUT
blopp by Zudgemud
Omnomnom by Zudgemud
eyeballs by Zudgemud

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Create a monster contest! (vote until 14th May)  (Read 13403 times)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Create a monster contest! (vote until 14th May)
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:41:42 AM »

Hi everyone!

I thought a little contest might be a nice refreshing thing for this great community.

Rules:

1) Create a monster out of the parts I am providing here or any other parts you think might be suitable.
You can use mechanical parts as well to mak hybrid ships but at least half of it needs to be organic (roughly)

2) You are not limited to the parts I am providing at the end of this post, feel free to use anything you like. You can use my mod as a resource for parts and animated stuff as well.
Please provide a little description and what the creatures purposd should ba and what kind of weapons/system it should use.
The more detailed the better it will be!

3) You can make only ONE entry per ship class (If you have a fighter and a cruiser you can post both but you cannot post two destoyers for example)

4) This is for fun so please have some!

5) At the end of the deadline I will open a new post as a poll and the whole community can vote which is the best creature.

6) The best sprite will be included in my mod or in your own mod, whichever you prefer.

Here are some parts for use, originally made ny Machine for BSF:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:34:18 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
Re: Create a monster contest! (Deadline 1st of May)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:00:40 PM »

Spoiler

NOTE: This fly was (and IS) the first monster that appeared in any Star Sector mods here. Its not a competitor - just an example.

Rock Fly is a silicon-based life form that inhabits Western region of the known space. First contact with this beast was made by XLE mining fleet that stumbled on it in asteroid field in some distant uninhabited system. Fly attacked and destroyed the majority of the fleet, but only when miners began to harvest asteroids.

That Fly was later eliminated by XLE Carrier Group that quickly responded to distress call sent by miners. The battle was brutal and pretty costly to XLE military.

Today Rock Flies are a common sight in XLE space and border systems, however XLE have developed quite effective ways of dealing with the Flies.

-- sprite is entirey made by hand. Fly has animated parts - jaws and wings. Head and arms are actual weapons and can swing in fixed arcs. Here is the vid with this beast: http://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SF/rockfly.avi

[close]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:29:02 AM by Okim »

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »

I feel compelled to, at least, posting an example of what you can do with my sprites.
The following are a couple of examples of what I made with them in Battleship's Forever Shipmaker, which meant no smoothing or adding small unique details blended into the "ship" (it also meant easier animating though)...

Spoiler

THREAD
Spoiler
Exo-arthropoda is a classification given to all arthropod-like organisms found in the Perseus arm capable of living in space. This classification and also the subclassification are based more on appearances than actual biological relations, as the creatures themselves show as little similarity between themselves at a genetic level as they show to us, leading us to conclude that most of them evolved separately or diverged several million years ago.
They show several similarities, mostly their armoured bodies composed of metallo-proteins relatively similar in structure to chitin, this trait however is considered to be an example of convergent evolution since the metallic components of shells are able to absorb radiation diminishing the risk of damage to their genetic makeup. Another, more concerning, similarity is that every single exo-arthropod found possesses some kind of long range bioweaponry, sometimes as simple as spine or acid launchers or suicidal symbiotic organisms, but they are also sometimes more complex as biological lasers, large ferrous spines launchers similar to railguns and even plasma weapons.
It is uncertain how or why these traits evolved since competition between them is not strong enough to justify all the energy spent on their development. This has lead several TSC scientists to believe that most, if not all of these creatures evolved from some ancient race's bioweapon.

Magnabracchium Carcinus is probably the most common member of the magnabraquia, it's usually found consuming metals or water from asteroids or comets, respectively. It's relatively harmless unless provoked and are also capable of long periods of hibernation which they mostly use for transport between celestial objects inside their solar system, though they've been also found hibernating in deep space making the jump from the Crab nebula to the Pleiades, which alarmed the TSC enough to start the fortification of the outer rim of the Orion arm.

Magnabracchium Falx is quite more rare than it's relatively closely related cousin Magnabracchium Carcinus, it's also quite more dangerous and aggressive. Instead of using it's huge near indestructible claws (a trait common to all magnabraquia) as a method of defence, it uses them as it's main method of attack, being capable of tearing apart even dreadnoughts, it also sports long range high speed ferrous spines launchers.

Magnabracchium Coleoptera, unlike the previous species this one seems to not be related at a genetic level. This species though capable of space flight, it is commonly found in low orbit near gas giants where it establishes huge colonies, living an aquatic-like life between the gas layers. As a mechanism of self defence it uses symbiotic larvae able to corrode part of the hull/carapace of the target vessel and then explode violently.

Legiocimex Vespa, also known as wasps, are vicious swarming creatures, they're commonly found living in biological hives in orbit around gas giants, ferrying materials from their outer layers or metals and hydrocarbons from nearby moons or asteroids. The hive, also acts as their queen, it reproduces asexually, which is not uncommon to members of the Legiocimex. To do this the hive/queen produces a droppod-like cocoon with a developing drone wasp inside which is then launched to a nearby star system. As there's no genetic difference between the drones and the hive, the infertile drone after birth can undergo a lengthy process to transform in a new hive, which also happens to any drone if it's separated from its mother hive for a long enough period of time.
Due to this method of expansion it's not uncommon to find several inactive cocoons laying in a similar way to mines in the systems nearby to a main hive, these cocoons are completely harmless and immobile, unless disturbed which causes the latent drone to activate and birth as soon as it is attacked. Recent findings indicate that this might also constitute an example of a self defence mechanism since several latent eggs have been found together giving birth to large swarms quickly in the presence of a rival hive or another vessel.

Well I'll post more ships tomorrow, not more bioships this time though. The Legiocimex Vespa has a small bug, which I haven't been able to fix, as it keeps activating it's "birth animation" (it's larger than the egg so it has to be extend it's wings and rotate its legs) yet this is barely noticeable since it happens for 1 frame each 9000 frames, and considering how expendable it was made it shouldn't last that long. If you're curious I used this tutorial to make it, and the cocoon sprite contains a thruster which grants it movement once the cocoon is destroyed.
Also I noticed that the Magnabracchium Falx is lacking the fake aegis (purplish glow), and probably the aegis module for its claws, which means I used an older WIP for the screenshot. If you want a rationalization of why a creature would have aegis shields, well I could say it's psychic powers, however I'll go with a flexible crystalline structure that hardens on impact or receiving heat :P.
[close]
[close]

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »

Mansikka.

Kept it extra plain.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:53:53 PM by FlashFrozen »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »

John.

Spoiler
[close]

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:19 PM »

Spoiler

NOTE: This fly was (and IS) the first monster that appeared in any Star Sector mods here. Its not a competitor - just an example.

Rock Fly is a silicon-based life form that inhabits Eastern region of the known space. First contact with this beast was made by XLE mining fleet that stumbled on it in asteroid field in some distant uninhabited system. Fly attacked and destroyed the majority of the fleet, but only when miners began to harvest asteroids.

That Fly was later eliminated by XLE Carrier Group that quickly responded to distress call sent by miners. The battle was brutal and pretty costly to XLE military.

Today Rock Flies are a common sight in XLE space and border systems, however XLE have developed quite effective ways of dealing with the Flies.

-- sprite is entirey made by hand. Fly has animated parts - jaws and wings. Head and arms are actual weapons and can swing in fixed arcs. Here is the vid with this beast: http://www.okim.nickersonm.com/SF/rockfly.avi

[close]

That is incorrect, my Scourge was there way before the rock fly :D.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »

but...the scourge is dead, =( WHY??? :'(

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:42:44 AM »

Though... Wasn't the Scourge some sort of parasite or fungus? I can't remember if the Scourge had their own "ships"s...

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:55 AM »

Heh. Ok, i`ll rephrase my post.

"This fly was (and IS) the first TRUE monster that appeared in any Star Sector mods here..."  :P

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:24 AM »

I feel compelled to, at least, posting an example of what you can do with my sprites.
The following are a couple of examples of what I made with them in Battleship's Forever Shipmaker, which meant no smoothing or adding small unique details blended into the "ship" (it also meant easier animating though)...

Spoiler

THREAD
Spoiler
Exo-arthropoda is a classification given to all arthropod-like organisms found in the Perseus arm capable of living in space. This classification and also the subclassification are based more on appearances than actual biological relations, as the creatures themselves show as little similarity between themselves at a genetic level as they show to us, leading us to conclude that most of them evolved separately or diverged several million years ago.
They show several similarities, mostly their armoured bodies composed of metallo-proteins relatively similar in structure to chitin, this trait however is considered to be an example of convergent evolution since the metallic components of shells are able to absorb radiation diminishing the risk of damage to their genetic makeup. Another, more concerning, similarity is that every single exo-arthropod found possesses some kind of long range bioweaponry, sometimes as simple as spine or acid launchers or suicidal symbiotic organisms, but they are also sometimes more complex as biological lasers, large ferrous spines launchers similar to railguns and even plasma weapons.
It is uncertain how or why these traits evolved since competition between them is not strong enough to justify all the energy spent on their development. This has lead several TSC scientists to believe that most, if not all of these creatures evolved from some ancient race's bioweapon.

Magnabracchium Carcinus is probably the most common member of the magnabraquia, it's usually found consuming metals or water from asteroids or comets, respectively. It's relatively harmless unless provoked and are also capable of long periods of hibernation which they mostly use for transport between celestial objects inside their solar system, though they've been also found hibernating in deep space making the jump from the Crab nebula to the Pleiades, which alarmed the TSC enough to start the fortification of the outer rim of the Orion arm.

Magnabracchium Falx is quite more rare than it's relatively closely related cousin Magnabracchium Carcinus, it's also quite more dangerous and aggressive. Instead of using it's huge near indestructible claws (a trait common to all magnabraquia) as a method of defence, it uses them as it's main method of attack, being capable of tearing apart even dreadnoughts, it also sports long range high speed ferrous spines launchers.

Magnabracchium Coleoptera, unlike the previous species this one seems to not be related at a genetic level. This species though capable of space flight, it is commonly found in low orbit near gas giants where it establishes huge colonies, living an aquatic-like life between the gas layers. As a mechanism of self defence it uses symbiotic larvae able to corrode part of the hull/carapace of the target vessel and then explode violently.

Legiocimex Vespa, also known as wasps, are vicious swarming creatures, they're commonly found living in biological hives in orbit around gas giants, ferrying materials from their outer layers or metals and hydrocarbons from nearby moons or asteroids. The hive, also acts as their queen, it reproduces asexually, which is not uncommon to members of the Legiocimex. To do this the hive/queen produces a droppod-like cocoon with a developing drone wasp inside which is then launched to a nearby star system. As there's no genetic difference between the drones and the hive, the infertile drone after birth can undergo a lengthy process to transform in a new hive, which also happens to any drone if it's separated from its mother hive for a long enough period of time.
Due to this method of expansion it's not uncommon to find several inactive cocoons laying in a similar way to mines in the systems nearby to a main hive, these cocoons are completely harmless and immobile, unless disturbed which causes the latent drone to activate and birth as soon as it is attacked. Recent findings indicate that this might also constitute an example of a self defence mechanism since several latent eggs have been found together giving birth to large swarms quickly in the presence of a rival hive or another vessel.

Well I'll post more ships tomorrow, not more bioships this time though. The Legiocimex Vespa has a small bug, which I haven't been able to fix, as it keeps activating it's "birth animation" (it's larger than the egg so it has to be extend it's wings and rotate its legs) yet this is barely noticeable since it happens for 1 frame each 9000 frames, and considering how expendable it was made it shouldn't last that long. If you're curious I used this tutorial to make it, and the cocoon sprite contains a thruster which grants it movement once the cocoon is destroyed.
Also I noticed that the Magnabracchium Falx is lacking the fake aegis (purplish glow), and probably the aegis module for its claws, which means I used an older WIP for the screenshot. If you want a rationalization of why a creature would have aegis shields, well I could say it's psychic powers, however I'll go with a flexible crystalline structure that hardens on impact or receiving heat :P.
[close]
[close]

Whoa, a wild Machine appeared!
We miss you on Wyrdysm.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »

Seems like a lot of the BSF users have an account in this forum.
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »

Not a submission, but I thought it was relevant.
Something I made about a year and a half ago before I became a more renowned shipmaker in BSF.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »

That sprite you sent reminded me of something:

I would love to make swinging tales for my bioships, which is easily done in BSF but in SS it is very hard to make that kind of physics animated stuff.

Anyone's got an idea how that could be done?

Basically a segmented tail like in your example sprite that is dragged behind the ship and swings around affected by the movement of the creature/ship.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:22:19 PM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »

A flailing tail seems tricky to do. Right now what seems the most convenient thing to me would be a decorative weapon constantly moving back and forth, a bit like Okim's rockfly's wings. Maybe you can even manage to reproduce the rubber pencil trick for a better effect?

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »

blopp
Pages: [1] 2 3