Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lag spike of doom (not the menu memory leak bug)  (Read 4511 times)

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
Lag spike of doom (not the menu memory leak bug)
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »

once upon a time i had a windows vista computer. said computer was a 32 bit computer with a decent amount of RAM. later i moved to a 64 bit windows 7 laptop and on both of the computers mentioned SS worked fine. but now i have 64 bit windows 7 Desktop and every 5 - 10 seconds i will get random lag spikes of doom, ingame, on menus and even in ship editors, ship testers and, the save and quit to menu, menu. i have tried every thing my friends, like bumping the memory available from 500 something to 1000 something (i dont rember the values off the top of my head) in the vmparams file to even bumping up it's priority in task manager and nothing works.  :-\ *i have no crash errors or anything like that to show you because this glitch does Not crash the game, just makes it unplayable with horrifying lag spikes* 
"Someone else might have wept or screamed in frustration or even given up right there and perished. But I didn't have the right to do any of those things, not while my people were in danger. Like it or not, I would have to explore this harsh world on my own."

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Lag spike of doom (not the menu memory leak bug)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »

Have you checked in Task Manager to see what is using CPU?  Could be your anti-virus, Google Talk, Skype, etc., etc., etc. are hammering your processor.

It would be very useful if you could confirm that it's actually SS / java hitting the wall :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

Hmm. Are your graphics drivers up to date? Are you able to run other OpenGL games smoothly?

It really sounds likely that this is some sort of issue with your system. Taking a look at task manager might be worth it, to see if anything is hogging CPU that shouldn't be. Another thing to look at might be your anti-virus software, if it's configured to run aggressively, it might cause this sort of behavior.

From the "you probably tried it but I should mention it anyway" department, a reboot is worth a shot, too.

Edit: right, partially ninja'ed :)

It would be very useful if you could confirm that it's actually SS / java hitting the wall :)

If that were the case, I wouldn't expect spikes - I'd expect a more or less uniformly low frame rate. Although, depending on what mods the game is running with, it could be spikes - that really depends on how the mod(s) in question are written.

It's also pretty unlikely that it would "hit the wall" in the same way everywhere, since the various game states have very different performance demands. That's why I'm thinking its more likely to be a system issue.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:27:08 PM by Alex »

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »

-Sniped-

If that were the case, I wouldn't expect spikes - I'd expect a more or less uniformly low frame rate. Although, depending on what mods the game is running with, it could be spikes - that really depends on how the mod(s) in question are written.

It's also pretty unlikely that it would "hit the wall" in the same way everywhere, since the various game states have very different performance demands. That's why I'm thinking its more likely to be a system issue.
i did a quick test and with all intensive programs like crome, skype, EVERYTHING closed and most thing on TM reading 0 - 10 i still get the lag spikes.
"Someone else might have wept or screamed in frustration or even given up right there and perished. But I didn't have the right to do any of those things, not while my people were in danger. Like it or not, I would have to explore this harsh world on my own."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »

And the other stuff? (drivers, reboot)

... and most thing on TM reading 0 - 10 ...

That doesn't sound good. Most things on TM should be reading 00.

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »

And the other stuff? (drivers, reboot)

... and most thing on TM reading 0 - 10 ...

That doesn't sound good. Most things on TM should be reading 00.

sorry yea most thing where reading 00 my mistake  :-[
-edit-
updated drivers and restart does not work

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »

Hmm. What are the hardware specs on your new computer? What kind of graphics card does it have? Is it possible that it's got two graphics cards (an integrated and a "proper" one), and is using the integrated one by default?

Are you running with mods, or is this vanilla?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:49:31 PM by Alex »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »

Try playing with sound off, see if that helps.  It'd be helpful to eliminate your sound card / driver / OpenAL issues.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:14 PM »

Hmm. What are the hardware specs on your new computer? What kind of graphics card does it have? Is it possible that it's got two graphics cards (an integrated and a "proper" one), and is using the integrated one by default?

Are you running with mods, or is this vanilla?
Well i DID have a long explanation written out, then the forums decided to smack me in the face by telling me that i had already made the post then deleting it. so i hope you can settle for this. (sorry if that was a bit harsh but i have had a bad day today)
- Edit - i'm going to need to put the files up individually. because the forums hate me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:05:24 PM by jeffg10 »

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »

specs of the computer

[attachment deleted by admin]

jeffg10

• Ensign
  • Cheesus Crust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »

i have tried with AND with out mods and both fail.
(also like mentioned above i found a bug in the forum. if you make a post and a file is to big then it will give you an error, but if you make the file smaller (like chopping off part of a picture) and re-post it with the same name it will say that the post is already there. but if you go back to the forum topic it is not there.  :-\ *just wanted to make you aware of the glitch*

[attachment deleted by admin]