Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: How do you get started?  (Read 2269 times)

Munchkin9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How do you get started?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »

I'm looking various ways people get started in the place-holder campaign. Once you have a few ships I can see it being possible to take on small pirate gangs but at the very beginning with only a starting frigate and the maximum two wings of fighters you can buy I can't seem to take on anything greater than a pirate scout ship and even then it usually runs rings around my frigate (while going backwards and shooting me), proceeds to destroy all my fighters and then either escapes or kills my frigate as well.

So yeah how do you guys do it? Or does everyone cheat/use exploits?

Also to the devs: amazing game, I had heard about it a whille ago but decided to hold off from buying it. Decided to go ahead when I heard a campaign thing was set up. So many regretts...at having not bought it the very second I first heard of it. Reminds me a lot of SPAZ but I find this game so much better. I have to disagree with Totalbiscuit I find the weapons in SPAZ to be very anemic. Not so at all in this game, very good job.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: How do you get started?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »

go after the lone buffalo IIs; their missiles will sting if you get hit, but they are incredibly fragile and give a fair amount of money and loot

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:51 PM »

i didn't purchase any fighters when i started out. and i went after lone pirate scouts. and used pounded there shields till they fried and then used missiles to pop them. only freighter i could not get started with is the one that has no shields... forgot its name because i sold every one i captured. if you start with that thing... restart.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

The hound.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »

Keep regenning till you get a hound or a lancer, those can easily take down the pirate fleets with only 1 or 2 ships in them, do that for crew experience and cash.

Then buy a carrier and some fighters and kick ass hopefully you've captured some pirate frigates by this point you should have a nice fleet. Camp the pirate base to get more cash, once you have a well enough developed fleet take on a hegemony fleet then wait for paragons to spawn.