Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 0.5a Initial Feedback  (Read 1932 times)

noxxit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
0.5a Initial Feedback
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »

Nice one! This patch destroyed hours of my productivity today. And now it is in the middle of the night and tomorrow I am going to be sleep deprived. Go figure, what I think about your game! But, I made notes. So here's Wot I Thought While Playing (with bullet points):

* I am playing in windowed mode. Missclicks happen and result in focus loss. I would appreciate if the game pauses on focus loss.
* I would really like to be able to set a targeting preference like Kill Carrier First or Kill Pesky Fighter Wings First
* I want a sell button or area where I can drop my stuff. Currently I have to find a free slot which gets difficult with a full shop - the shop window is a bit buggy anyway, but you probably know this (Mouseovers dont work everytime, my inventory isn't scrollable)
* I cannot switch my flagship outside a battle... or is my flagship my first ship in the fleet list? Comes to mind I haven't tried it yet. Anyway I long for a button.
* Stations on the TacMap tend to be behind UI elements in big maps with 5 stations. That makes them hardly clickable.
* I would like to see if a unit is hostile or neutral  on the system map
* Also I want a mini map
* I and the AI, too, can just fly off the system map. That feels strange.
* Why can I move the system map around? - is that a feature for bigger/zoomed maps?
* I want waypoints on the system map. Or fast travel. Or both!
* Please use fictive months as star/system dates. Or numbers. Months just do not make sense if you are not on earth.
* On the map my own ship gets rendered as one of the lowest layers - meaning sometimes I have a hard time finding it. I think that could be improved.
* I want a better indicator when I am intercepting an enemy fleet. Like a connection line between the two circles. Then I do not have to mash the mouse button until I am sure I clicked correctly.
* Assigning crew via some slider, drag&drop or similar mechanism would be nice.
* I want to level my marines.
* When far away from enemy forces ship repairing could go a little faster. At least at a station it is a waste of timing waiting 3min for my ship to get repaired only so I can sell it.
* Ships (from my own fleet) sometimes fly into eachother when flying in the same direction.
* Please make a forum post which gathers all points players list, so I do not have to repeat other peoples observations and you do not have to read them twice. I just do not have the time to read every new post.

Okay, that's about it for now, regarding my notes.

Something I want to get off my chest be it helpful or irritating:
I love how the game plays at the moment. Currently it feels a bit like playing Katamari. In a really good way. What's really annoying though is that a big fleet always seems to be too slow to just roll over everything since everybody just runs away. Anyway I think the game mode is brilliant. Give me a few more spawn points and two or three more stations and a way to improve my relations with a certain faction. And then it's just annihilate everything which moves in the system,i.e., become the biggest fleet and absorb everything else.
Currently I am still sitting and steering my starting Wolf-class frigate - it is perfect for hunting fighter wings. And as far as I figured out Carrier+Fighters are quite effecitve in taking out almost everything else so I want those fighters off the map. Also this frees my own fighters and allows them to engage the more important targets. I love those battles. And I love how the AI behaves most of the time. What really feels weird is the auto resolve function. Sometimes this wins me battles without a scratch which I tried manually before and just got blown off the map. And sometimes it is the other way around and a really easy battle yields high losses. Or the enemy escapes. Especially in the case with a single enemy ship. Against the power and speed of three Thunder class wings somehow the auto resolve manages to let that single ship escape.
Besides that, what I just wanted to say: great game!

RabbityThing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: 0.5a Initial Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »

* Please use fictive months as star/system dates. Or numbers. Months just do not make sense if you are not on earth.

Kind of offtopic, but I just started reading this book called "Red Mars". The story is about the colonization of Mars and the terraforming of the planet's surface. The reason I bring it up is because even though they are on a different planet, they still use the traditional calendar and time system as on Earth. Obviously, they need to make adjustments since there is about an extra hour or so in a martian day (the extra hour is a dead hour in the sense that, I think, after midnight it goes to 1 am and then back to midnight). The point of my little aside is that fictive months aren't really needed. In reality, Earth's calendar can be used and adjusted to meet the needs of those off of Earth. Whether or not the devs will change that is up to them but I see no problem in using Earth's calendar.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:50:43 PM by RabbityThing »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 0.5a Initial Feedback
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:33 PM »

i also agree that the time scale in game using Terran months is fine. also more so since we are not on a planet. but in a space craft.. and as such the clock on the space craft can easily be set to earth time to keep everyones internal clocks where they should be.

i point at you international space station. as a reference.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.