Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minor: engines burning out during enter-battle burn = SUPER SPEED  (Read 1541 times)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

This is a pretty minor issue that I'm reporting, though I did just lose a big battleship to it. I entered a battle, and deployed said ship with about 35% combat readiness under AI orders. During the enter-battle speed boost the engines burnt out, causing this huge and heavy ship to go rocketing straight through several enemy capital ships at absolute peak (probably 400+, going by how fast I was going in my own ship) speeds. It didn't survive, though I did get a good laugh out of it. I had it happen on my own ship before though, and it made things awfully easy as I just happened to be chasing some enemies that were getting away and was easily able to get within range despite only having my flagship (a battleship, too) on the field.

I had Exerelin running with about 15 other mods when this happened, and was flying a Bushi battleship myself. The ship that burnt out and died was a Bushi ship, too. As much fun as it was to see a huge ship rocketing through several others at extreme speeds, I can't imagine it being intended. Could be a mod thing, though - my apologies for wasting your time if that is so.

(keep up the good work!)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Minor: engines burning out during enter-battle burn = SUPER SPEED
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »

Thanks for the report! It's supposed to be impossible for a burnout to occur while that's happening (or while any other engine boost is in effect). Could you provide a bit more detail about exactly what caused the burnout? I'm unable to reproduce it simply by deploying a bunch of low-CR ships - the code that doesn't let malfunctions burn out the engine during a boost seems to be working, at least under the conditions I'm trying it at.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Minor: engines burning out during enter-battle burn = SUPER SPEED
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

Mm, odd stuff. I was flying into combat in an Odachi-class, and I fielded a Kabuto-class during initial deployment. Both ships are pretty big, about the same size, and one is classed a battleship. The Kabuto was the one that had its engines burn out during (or possibly right after?) the speed boost. I happened to see that because it deployed right next to my flagship of that battle, the Odachi. The other instance of this happening to me was with me flying the Odachi itself, a bit earlier on. I'm not sure if it burnt out during or right after the speed boost in either case, though if I was to hazard a guess I'd say this issue might've been in it burning out right as it started decelerating. Haven't seen anything like this happen since I posted the topic, but I'll keep an eye out as usual.

Below are the ship_data.csv entries for both, if at all relevant:

Spoiler
name,id,designation,system id,fleet pts,hitpoints,armor rating,max flux,8/6/5/4%,flux dissipation,ordnance points,max speed,acceleration,deceleration,max turn rate,turn acceleration,mass,shield type,defense id,shield arc,shield upkeep,shield efficiency,phase cost,phase upkeep,min crew,max crew,cargo,fuel,fuel/ly,range,max burn,base value,supplies/day,repair %/day,repair cost,CR to deploy,peak CR sec,CR loss/sec,hints,number

Kabuto,bushi_kabuto,Carrier,bushi_bomber_wing,22,10000,1100,15000,16500,750,275,30,15,10,7,5,3000,OMNI,,235,0.4,0.9,,,350,800,350,500,10,45,3,100000,15,5,500,30,,,CARRIER,77777
Odachi,bushi_odachi,Battleship,burndrive,28,18000,1500,25000,31250,1250,330,30,15,10,5,5,3500,OMNI,,235,0.4,0.8,,,400,800,400,600,20,35,3,150000,15,5,500,25,,,,77777
[close]