Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: About weapons  (Read 3686 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
About weapons
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:07:39 AM »

So I was wondering about some things being possible or not in the modding field, seeing I hardly check the forum and game anymore I got a little curious of it being even possible

What I wonder about is wether or not it is possible to make the following:

- Delayed charge reloading: basically what it says on the tin, more specifically is there a way to prevent charges from reloading until the weapon reaches 0 ammo and then have the weapon be unavailable until all its charges are available again and wether its recharge speed can be altered if it can be

- Change Weapon properties on a large scale: more specifically change the muzzle velocity of the projectiles depending on the damage type (lets say have kinetic go faster and HE go slower) as well as toss out the window shield damage efficiencies (all damage types do even damage to shields I.E. without multipliers)

- Get rid of CR timers on frigates

And thats about it, I just want a simple yes or no and what kind of level one would need to make it happen

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: About weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:18:45 AM »

- Delayed charge reloading: basically what it says on the tin, more specifically is there a way to prevent charges from reloading until the weapon reaches 0 ammo and then have the weapon be unavailable until all its charges are available again and wether its recharge speed can be altered if it can be
As I have not seen anyone do this before I guess it is really hard or impossible at the moment.

- Change Weapon properties on a large scale: more specifically change the muzzle velocity of the projectiles depending on the damage type (lets say have kinetic go faster and HE go slower) as well as toss out the window shield damage efficiencies (all damage types do even damage to shields I.E. without multipliers)
Muzzle velocities and damage type are just numbers in a spreadsheet, however if you want to get rid of kinetic damage bonuses to sheild that will require some coding.

Yes, very easy, just a number in a spreadsheet.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »

As I have not seen anyone do this before I guess it is really hard or impossible at the moment.

How about tweaking a gun's stats such that the "chargedown" value equals a time interval just a wee bit longer than the time required for the "ammo/sec" value to refill from zero charges to the max # of charges?

It's pretty much the converse of what you asked, though - instead of stopping the reload process, it put a brake on the firing process until the energy cell is holding the maximum number of charges again. I know that's not what you asked for, but it's the only way I can quickly think of that approaches what you requested and doesn't require the devs to change anything.

As for recharge speed for ammo-limited weaps, any kind of reload interval you want can be had though putting the right number into the "ammo/sec" column, and even though that's easy it's also a really tedious process. Allow yourself plenty of time for trial-and-error.

Muzzle velocities and damage type are just numbers in a spreadsheet, however if you want to get rid of kinetic damage bonuses to sheild that will require some coding.

As far as damage to shields goes, how about simply altering every weapon's damage type to Energy? That would be regardless of the mount type of the weapon. There's already official precedent for that (Mjolnir Cannon - large ballistic mount, but inflicts energy damage).

If you mass-mod all weapons to cause only energy damage, the actual number of damage points per successful hit would be the same regardless of whether a weapon strikes shields, armor or naked hull itself. Shields will no longer take extra damage from kinetics. Sure, there's no longer any bonuses for damage, but neither are there any penalties - it's very democratic, and promotes new tactical thinking.

As for making all guns' muzzle velocities the same, that's no harder than copying the same value to every cell in the game's "proj speed" column - super fast for you to do.

For applying the same mass-modding to missiles, give them the same "proj speed" as the other pew-pew weaps, AND make all of them have the same "launch speed" value (say, between 100 and 150?).

And for energy weapons that fire as continuous beams rather than discrete shots, change "beam speed" to match the other guns' new "proj speed".

Yes, very easy, just a number in a spreadsheet.

Right indeed - it practically takes more time to describe this stuff than to actually do the changes. Just delete all the numbers you see for frigate-class hulls in ship_data.csv spreadsheet columns AK ("peak CR sec") and AL ("CR loss/sec"). Note that the Buffalo Mark 2 destroyer also has a CR timer.

safety tip: back-up your vanilla game's weapon_data.csv file before you attack it! ;)

(Edit: changed hyphen to underscore in a .CSV filename)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 01:16:14 PM by c plus one »
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »

As for the first part, no, it's not possible.  That's the "magazine" basis that some people (me included) were trying to figure out.  It's impossible ATM, although it *might* be possible via some Java coding, I don't think so.

As for changing projectile speeds, it's easy to do that, change the speed in the weapon spreadsheet.  For even damage against shields, you COULD change everything to an Energy weapon type, but I don't feel that's what you're looking for.  Like Zudgemund said, some Java coding is nessesary.

CR timers on Frigates?  Again, what Zudgemund said, change the part in the spreadsheet. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »

As for the first part, no, it's not possible.  That's the "magazine" basis that some people (me included) were trying to figure out.  It's impossible ATM, although it *might* be possible via some Java coding, I don't think so.
I'm pretty sure you could do that with a script. You'd have to track a few things and micromanage ammo regeneration, but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »

Yeah, that's totally possible.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack