Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strategic AI  (Read 2542 times)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Strategic AI
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »

Just wondering but the game doesn't really seem to feature any real coordination between different ships, it's all sort of a free for all.  Ships always taking the shortest path to the target which isn't good for combat for many reasons.  My thought however is that the AI really should have more coordination between ships. Ie if three ships are heading to the same target they'll try to maintain distance from each other and approach at different angles even if it gets them there slightly slower.

For example say you're going against a cruiser, you have a destroyer and two frigates.  Right now if you attack they all end up going straight to the unit, often bumping into each other and getting in their personal space and creating bottlenecks and friendly fire incidents.  When giving multiple units orders (or the AI does) they each should create a strategy.  For example faster ships will move to flank while the slower ships will go straight towards the target so they all arrive at about the same time.  The more ships attacking a target the more the ships should spread out to attack from as many different angles as possible.  Omni shields are really good against enemies attacking from one direction and most of the time that's what they do, with the exception of fighters and frigates.  Even then those ones don't time it well so they tend to come at you one at a time giving a ship enough time to angle it around for the next fight.

V

^^^

>          V          <

^

While each ship alone seems pretty smart, as a group they feel pretty dumb and uncoordinated.  Some strafing into another strafing ship in the opposite direction.  Instead of all going clockwise or counter clock wise they go whichever way and end up bumping into each other.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic AI
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:26:40 AM »

Huh. I agree there needs to be more coordination, but my experiences are almost opposite yours! I find that my ships are flanking the target waaaay too much, when all I want is for them to get in range and shoot. Particularly when intercepting.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »

Huh. I agree there needs to be more coordination, but my experiences are almost opposite yours! I find that my ships are flanking the target waaaay too much, when all I want is for them to get in range and shoot. Particularly when intercepting.

Well in the system I'm proposing ships would react based on how many ships are currently targeting that ship.  One ship intercepting will go along it's trajectory to try and meet it in the middle.  Extra ships may try to box it in by getting in front of it and pushing the ship away from the edges where it can escape.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »

I hope this doesn't count as a necro, but...

I think it depends on ship speed.

Frigates seem to do what Thaago describes and sometimes just never seems to get into firing range and will just hand around the outskirts.

Slower ships (some ships in my mod are pretty slow haha) tend to bunch up and ram into each other or get in front of each others weapons often enough that it can be very frustrating.