Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Skill Changes, Part 2 (07/15/21)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Biomancy Genetic Engineering (Open source)  (Read 100813 times)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Biomancy Genetic Engineering (Open source)
« on: January 27, 2014, 04:29:53 AM »

Well, since I haven't worked on this in years I decided to put all files and art up as public resource for the modding community.
I would be very happy if anyone would be able salvage my lovely monsters and put them in SS in some way. Be advised, the code is an absolute mess since I simply cobbled together lines from other mods and repurposed them.
Thanky to everyone who helped making this mod in the first place!

Now the link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l7rogglotbmq9w/BGE.zip?dl=0

Have fun with it!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 11:44:38 AM by Tecrys »
Adopt a mod! (Or parts of it) I'd be happy if Biomancy Genetic Engineering found a new patron or if my little monsters appear in some form or another in someone's mod.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7682.0

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Biomancy Genetic Engineering
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:37 AM »

I'll be the first to give you my moral support. I must say though, your biggest hurdle will be codeing. If you can't catch the eye of a benevolent coder, or figure it out yourself, It'll end up crushing your ambition if you let it. So the best advice I could give you is to continue polishing your sprites, smooth those edges, and put in some shading. Put your best foot forward and believe in miracles, because they do happen. I have a dream...a dream where monsters plague space. A place where young pilots are eager to face danger to become heroes and claim large fortunes!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:59:34 AM by etherealblade »
Spoiler

[close]

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:54 AM »

Typo in OP: it's Tri-Tachyon, not Try Tachion. :)

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:56:41 AM »

Glad you've put up a thread for this! I'm looking forward to the updates!
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »

Right now I'm trying to get the code for the swinging radar dish to work properly and I'm trying to use it to make fins, feelers and snapping claws.
I managed to get the simple rotation to work but letting it swing forth and back in an arc is weird.

Thank you Bjørn_in_the_Sector!

Edit: Thanks to Okim I could figure it out. Would've been very ugly to do it with picture by picture animations.
(Edit: just tried a pictuer by picture animation, looks actually quite nice. You can watch it at art spoiler)

@ Etherealblade: First of all thank you very much, I apreciate that.
In game you don't notice the steps on the outlines. Shaded version is done but lacks eyes atm. Current picture is an early version, eyes are going to be blinking randomly in the finished version.
Ingame picture showing that it looks fine on a dark bg. (Wings are placeholders borrowed from Ironclads, not gonna be in any version of the mod)
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:25:58 AM by Tecrys »
Adopt a mod! (Or parts of it) I'd be happy if Biomancy Genetic Engineering found a new patron or if my little monsters appear in some form or another in someone's mod.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:16:41 AM »

I see what you mean. Well done ;) The moving parts will certainly bring it to life!
Spoiler

[close]

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »

Ok, I figured out some major stuff to sync decorative animations with ship speed. Currently it's all done with placeholders and only 2 animation frames just to see if stuff works.
If it goes on like this every ship will need about 3-4 plugins for animation. I'm not sure if this will cause any performance issues ...

Anyway, major breakthrough!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:34:41 AM by Tecrys »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much about performance of a few Decorative weapons and their code, unless it's really badly done.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »

Code is fine I think, the math used is fairly simple(although I don't understand all of it). I used the one from Nomads mod by Trylobot and adjusted it. Just needed an extra math script and a fasttrig script.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:16:40 AM »

You shouldn't need fasttrig, unless you're trying to avoid using LazyLib entirely; it has fasttrig built in (that, and you'll find it has a lot of really nice helper functions for dealing with angles and all that) :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »

The thing is that I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here ... I'm just codebashing stuff together hoping it works.
That means a lot of trial and error btw ...

Edit: Some simple wip animation:
I'm not very happy with that. I'll redo it tomorrow but I feel like I'm getting sick, don't have the mind to work on this today.

E: I'm up early today, gonna start to pump out some new ship art. Probably only greascale today because it takes me ages to colourize something.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:17:49 PM by Tecrys »

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »

OK, some new stuff, heavy cruiser or might even be a capital ship. Called it the King Crab for now.

Edit: Didn't realize the size of it, pretty sure this is capital ship sized. Did some lighting stuff, should look better now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:36:34 AM by Tecrys »

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 02:42:20 AM »

And here's another one, for now it's called Arbiter. Made it a slight bit smaller, it's supposed to be a cruiser sized ship. I still need to play around with the lighting for this one.

Added the tail, wich I might animate later.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 03:03:21 AM by Tecrys »

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:18 AM »

Bravo! I love these...but er...King Crab ::)?...seriously :P? Your mod. Your rules...LOL ;D
They look more like um...well damn...they could pass as crab couldn't they XD
Spoiler

[close]

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:53:11 AM »

Renamed it already to König, King in German. I'm not sure if any of those will be final names.
I'm at colouring that bugger, that's gonna be tedious. Find the right hues, make a rough colouring to discern armor from fleshy parts and make them all play nice together.
It's like painting miniatures but you have to imagine where the highe and the low parts are and paint them accordingly. That takes a lot of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19