Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Skill Changes, Part 2 (07/15/21)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Biomancy Genetic Engineering (Open source)  (Read 100814 times)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Biomancy Genetic Engineering
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:58 AM »

Is it me or do the first 2 ships you made have a rather different style from the rest?
 Anyway that....is......sick, can't wait to see them done. And I don't think you need to shrink it, just because it's a melee weapon doesn't mean it can't have reach, these are space monsters after all.
 Reminds me of the Lictors talons.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »

I think I'm going to be too afraid to go into a space sector know that thing is out there.

Well done, amazing work.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 03:28:26 AM »

Thank you guys!

I meant to shrink it for the smaller ships, this version is the large one for cruisers and capital ships.
I'm almost done with animating it, somewhat like 30 frames or so. I'll post a little gif when I'm finished with it.

Edit: Alright guys, here it is. I'll polish it a little for the final version butr I'm pretty happy with my little animation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 04:05:20 AM by Tecrys »
Adopt a mod! (Or parts of it) I'd be happy if Biomancy Genetic Engineering found a new patron or if my little monsters appear in some form or another in someone's mod.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7682.0

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »

Trying to implement some weapons is harder than I thought. Basically I gave the weapon a really short range and a semi-transparent projectile but it looks very weird.
I chose the transparent option because I thought I could make it like the projectile is something like motion blur from the animated weapon sprite but instead it just looks like a normal shot.
If anybody has an idea how to do something like melee weapons in a similar way please let me know, help is much apreciated.
Adopt a mod! (Or parts of it) I'd be happy if Biomancy Genetic Engineering found a new patron or if my little monsters appear in some form or another in someone's mod.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

Motion blur shouldn't be necessary, an invisible projectile would be enough i think. Also a huge impact effect could be cool, after all, getting hit by a destroyer sized talon should be able to send flying around frigates and stuffs.

Be mindful though at how to implement this weapon. A huge claw can work well with big ships like the Koning but it may looks a bit silly on smaller crafts.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

You're probably right but I have some ideas for acid sprays and beams which look like tentacles. I really need to read a few tutorials because I'm still fidling around with very basic stuff regarding weapons. Also java is still a secret to me. Need to learn some basics, so that means a playable version is still far away.

Edit: Couldn't do too much today, I did a lot of testing that tractor beam tentacle thingy.
a little todo update:
- Finish ship sprites (2 of 6 done)
- Add a lot of decorative stuff and animate it
- Campaign integration (Not really sure how to do that but I think I can figure it out)
- Exerelin integration
- Ship Systems (got an idea: different areal buffs and debuffs carried by different ships to encourage lots of different ships in fleet also I can do nice balancing with this: single ships are weak but if they group up they become much better than the sum of their parts)
- Hull Mods ... apart from a regeneration hull mod I'm not really sure what hull mods would be very "organic", maybe something like CR value or recovery stuff, I really don't know.
- More lore and descriptions
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:38:53 PM by Tecrys »

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (Coding help needed please!) Biomancy Genetic Engineering
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »

Since most of my coding problems are solved for now I will do more art stuff. Namely all those grey ships still need to be painted, I need many more moving parts to make those ships come to life and I need more weapons. Got that large and a medium scythe claw done, I think next will be a giant pincer claw and after that some ranged weapons.
I'm still thinking of an equivalent to missiles maybe something like big wasps or so but as far as I'm aware missiles can't be animated. They can have an engine nozzle or something but animated wings or stuff like that will not work for missiles.
And I still need some fighters but they are way too small to make them with my usual method so i have to do some real spriting ...

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 09:13:43 AM »

I made a lot of animation stuff today like blinking eyes, swinging tentacles and the beam for my grappling tentacle is finished.
I consider the König capital ship to be finished, finally.
But the good thing about starting with the biggest ship is that the smaller ones will be finished much more quickly.
I might start to work on another ship today but I'm pretty exausted.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »

New ship in the making!

Zophe is a light to medium destroyer sized support carrier and will have 2 flight decks. When it's done this ship will carry an areal buff system which will boost maneuverability and top speed of allied ships.

(As alway this is only a framework, the ship will look drastically better with all the moving parts attached to it)

Edit: just finished my first fighter! Basically it's just a Zophe without the flight deck thingy shrinked and cleaned. I'm pretty happy with it!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:19:36 PM by Tecrys »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

Nice work, Im looking forward to playing this in a mod. Are they inspired by the Zerg styling of Starcraft?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 01:35:25 PM »

Actually I was just thinking that in vanilla when you shoot up a ship, debris is spawned from the hit point. You might be able to have that debris replaced with green acid blood or something that does damage in a very short range. Just a thought after recalling you wanted enemy hulls to appear melted by acid.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »

Thanks Debido!

Actually I'm fine with the enemy ships exploding right into my face. I made a hull mod which gives some resistance to hiEx, weapon and engine damage for the fact that none of the ships will have a shield (I might make one with a shield, thinking of something like a Tyranid Zoanthrope).
Balancing will be a big deal, right now each ship on it's own is way too strong. I will make them much weaker amd let have some of the ships "buff aura" systems which will always be active except when when Flux is almost full.
And yes they are a bit inspired by Zerg, ofcourse. When thinking of a biotech race the first 2 things that come to my mind are always Zerg and Tyranids.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 02:22:40 PM »

So what kind of faction is it going to be, one with lots of cheap ships that are weaker than the whole, or a few large and powerful ships?

I have to admit I'm inclined to favour a friggin huge Zerg BGE swarm, where for every one I kill another 10 are lined up and flanking every angle. Ever played any of the Alien Shooter game series? Kinda like that. Or Starcraft, take your pick.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 02:30:42 PM »

Lots of ships that form a swarm together would be cool, indeed!
The way I'm thinking the buff system will work will encourage playing lots of different ships. I've got 6 ships in the making for now, 2 frigates, 2 Destroyers, 1 cruiser and that huge thing called König.
I'm thinking of at least one more cruiser and 2-3 fighter wings in addition to that so I think you will have quite a few options fleet customisation wise.
One sad thing although: I really can't match the vanilla art style since all my ships are kit bashes based on 3d renders. I did my best to get them as pixely as possible but as you can see on the 3 painted ships I can't even keep the colours consistant.
However I'm very happy about the faction so far.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »

Ok, finished the cruiser named Arbiter.
It's like the big brother of the Zophe, has 4 flight decks and I think this one will come with a drone system and those drones will carry an always active short range debuff applied to enemy ships.

I'm quite happy how painting goes by now, I've got my layer masks, different colours for various parts like armor, flesh and the head and I've got 2 extra masks to apply textures to the ships. Speeds things up quite a bit by now.
Edit: Edited the ship a bit, that large black spot right in the middle was kinda weird looking. I put another ... uhm ... well, I guess it looks like an anus, there.
Wow, I really got a lot of stuff done today. I still need to clean up my mod folder the remnants of DSTech, which I used as the base template, are still in there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:47:53 PM by Tecrys »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19