Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WEAPONS can it be different in quality?  (Read 5925 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
WEAPONS can it be different in quality?
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:15 PM »

So basically current weapons stats would be normal. There would be less or more quality weapons with one or more stats tweaked for better or worse depending in weapon quality :) Stats like: weapon range, dmg, fire rate, flux/sec, price, OP points etc. It could be implemented like some random modifier that would generate weapons or you can make predef weapons type with normal weapon and then 10 good weapons models (1st would be with smallest changes (only 1 stats changed) and 10th would be with best changes to stats (couple stats changed with 1 boosted)) and 10 bad weapons (1st would be with smallest changes (only 1 stats changed) and 10th would be with worst changes to stats (couple stats changed with 1 badly lowered).

As for lore backup all weapons would be made from same plans BUUUUUT (big nasty but) material quality would play crucial part in this.

It would put nice diversity in game. I must confess this is from Space rangers 1 and 2. I know how i feel when i manage to get my hands on premium weapon that is almost double better then regular one  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Infinite Monkeys

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: WEAPONS can it be different in quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »

Agreed, but I think the maximum bonus should be about 20%. It shouldn't add effects to the weapon (like, as someone suggested, far more damage but has a chance to damage your ship when firing). It should just be some stats increased and some decreased (or all increased if you're lucky!) by plus or minus 15% or so. It'd add way more depth for minmaxers without seriously hindering people who don't want to bother with it.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »

Yup it's not gonna be good if you can make same beast ship with powered up weapons. Just a tweak here and there and happiness when you finally find some precious piece of hardware  8)
Creator of:

Subject901

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »

a bit like terraria? (if anyone's played it)

maqzek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »

Weapon classes and weapon variants? Mark I,II,III etc?

I like.

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »

A system approaching Diablo's take on itemization could be a good fit - now and then you might find something like a Vulcan cannon with its stats skewed about a bit (+10% range but -5% turret speed).

And very rarely you'll discover named and unique versions of items (Spacefarer's Reach: a gravitron beam with (slightly) beefed up stats) or maybe even ships.

But then, this game is addictive enough as it is. :(

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »

Ugh no unique items that'd be just silly since everything is made in centuries old factories and noone has the skills to actually produce stuff without the auto facs. Perhaps the MK things is better, but with a twist of the usual where earlier runs of an item are better due to the age of the factories or something like that.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

;D Just put it my vain  ;D

But seriously, I would like differences in weapon types... For the better and worse. 8)

So Alex what DO YOU think? ::)
Creator of:

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »

Ugh no unique items that'd be just silly since everything is made in centuries old factories and noone has the skills to actually produce stuff without the auto facs. Perhaps the MK things is better, but with a twist of the usual where earlier runs of an item are better due to the age of the factories or something like that.
If you'll argue that it wouldn't suit/enhance the gameplay, I'd understand that (and would like to read your thoughts on why).

As for lore - usually the background fluff is adapted to gameplay, not the other way around. Starfarer seems to be a game with a strong focus on gameplay, not narrative (though I suppose that could change?).

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:21:43 PM »

I'd argue that it will distract from fleet management. It's annoying to have to manage fluff like +2 broadsword of rareness. Just let me throw some lasers on my frigate and move on. There's enough to do.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »

I'd argue that it will distract from fleet management. It's annoying to have to manage fluff like +2 broadsword of rareness. Just let me throw some lasers on my frigate and move on. There's enough to do.

+1
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »

would add some more micro... not saying its bad thing considering that currently there is none just point your fleet at em and go get coffee ...

DukeVonBathrobe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

I think if it was implemented at all there should be more penalties than gains for unbalancing a weapon.  Like getting +10% range gives a -20% turret speed.  Makes specialization somewhat of a hindrance rather than farming for the best item with the best positive mods.

Better than having it be on the items themselves, as it would be an annoyance to micromanage, it should fit into the leveling scheme for either the player, or possibly even the captains that you get to assign to your fleet.  Not sure if those captains are going to be able to be enhanced beyond their initial personality type.

I like the idea of further modification, but it should come at a price and should not make playing the game less enjoyable.  I feel that with the current interface design, it would make inventory management a nightmare.  As it is, it's workable but clunky.

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »

I'm not sure why such a system should be a hindrance at all (or come at a price)? Players who enjoy micro management shouldn't be punished. At the same time, players who don't enjoy that aspect shouldn't feel like they're missing out. It could be a completely optional system without much (in any scenario there'd be at least a little) impact on the game balance in general.

EDIT: I do agree that making it more overhead than actually applying modifiers to every single item is sensible. What a horror.

I wasn't aware there was a leveling scheme planned. That's pretty neat!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:55:05 PM by StickyNavels »

DukeVonBathrobe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »

Choices that come at a price make them more meaningful in my experience.  Currently, weapon choice itself has a fair amount of importance.  Generally every weapon has a weakness to it, and you offset that weakness by playing to the strengths of your weapon/ship.

The whole idea of having weapon mods would be to even further specialize.  I feel that since you already do so much to emphasize the strengths of your load out doing anything to strengthen it further should have a more pronounced cost or else balance would be very hard to maintain.

As it is, the enemy has trouble doing anything to my fleet with 5 or 6 Tempests loaded with 2 pulse lasers, integrated targeting, and enhanced engines.  Rest goes into flux vents if I recall.  Imagine the madness if I could improve their range, turret speed, and damage at no penalty.
Pages: [1] 2