Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325022 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Starsector+ 3.4.0
« Reply #2685 on: April 08, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »

Looking and feeling better in every way isn't reason enough?  It still acts like the old Archer but is much more fun to fly.
I don't really know how to respond to that... ?  Maybe?  The old Archer was awkward, but that always seemed to be part of the point - it had tons of firepower that required careful positioning to deploy without getting horribly murdered.  Or you could load it up with LRMs and let it sit waaay back, I guess.

I never used it as a flagship and just managed them via orders, so I never cared about how it flew.

But like I said, I don't mean to pressure you to explain, just curious about what's happening to a ship I like. =)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 08, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »

Kestrel had the major defect of looking extremely ugly.

New Archer is pretty. But I'll miss the visual pun of it being shaped like a bow :(

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2687 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:43 PM »

Kestrel had the major defect of looking extremely ugly.

New Archer is pretty. But I'll miss the visual pun of it being shaped like a bow :(

It has the new visual pun of looking like an arrow.

spartan117pr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 08, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »

I'll miss the old goofy looking archer, but this new sprite looks pretty sexy.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 08, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »

i'm also sad to see the Kestrel go. Eagle, Falcon and Vulture lack the large slot, Shouren lacks the maneuverability, all four lack the Accelerated Ammo Feeder. in my last SS+ game i compared these five plus a few other cruisers (mostly through officer controlled simulator battles) and found the Kestrel to be the best fit for my fleet.
i would understand if the Kestrel was removed because its combination of mobility, firepower and range is too good, but i don't agree that other cruisers fulfill its role just as well.

i agree the sprite could use some polishing to bring it in line with the new Eagle & co, though i personally still like it.

disclaimer: just want to provide some feedback, not complaining about you doing what you feel is best for your mod.

as for that new Archer, i think it looks amazing! perfect as little brother of the Gryphon. :]

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 08, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »

I'll be perfectly honest, the new Archer looks like an ugly lumpen mess. But to my eyes, the Gryphon looks like the same kind of ugly lumpen mess, so the new Archer fits in perfectly. If anything, it's too symmetrical.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 08, 2016, 11:46:13 PM »

What're you talking about? It's a huge improvement. The old Archer was basically a brick. Its back half looked like scorched pixels. This one's got a well-defined drive section and a more interesting shape. It's just a much better kitbash.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 09, 2016, 12:22:26 AM »

It's definitely a better kitbash, and it looks better than the old Archer, but calling it sexy is not something I would ever do. It's all bulbous and bulge-y, the side missile hardpoints stick out at weird angles, and the two side turrets look like they're mounted on some sort of fungal growth. It's a great looking ugly ship, if that makes any sense. It reminds me of the A-10 Warthog, which looks like it got hit in the face with a brick. Military hardware doesn't always look pretty.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:58:17 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

Wild Card

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 09, 2016, 01:26:22 AM »

Hmm that looks really good, i definetly like it over Archer 1.0

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 09, 2016, 01:55:21 AM »

So with the ships removed, any chance for some new ones.
Was wondering if there was a destroyer class missile boat out there? to fit somewhere between the Basileus F (from II) and the Griffin (from vanilla)...the bull was kind of sort of that...if i`m not mistaking

You mean the Archer?  Coincidentally, it got overhauled:

Looks like a Broadhead Arrow.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2695 on: April 09, 2016, 03:16:34 AM »

Slight update:

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 09, 2016, 05:24:02 AM »

It is strange that you plan to remove some hulls in the upcoming 3.5.0 version. Any specific reason for it?

Quote from: Dark.Revenant
Avalon: Weird sprite, pointless with the cheap-ass Condor and even cheaper Chengdu available.
Tundra/Vista/Sloop/Summit: Weird sprites, also rather redundant especially with the recent vanilla ship additions.
Tick: The Nautilus exists.
Camel: This one isn't permanently removed; it will eventually get retooled into a Mule (U).
Kestrel: Overlaps with Falcon, Eagle, Vulture, and Heron. It really didn't need to exist.
Locomotive: You can just use multiple Oxen. It's not like there's a fleet cap in SS+ anymore.
Bull: Mudskipper Mk2 and Buffalo Mk 2 - mashed together. Didn't really merit keeping, since the other Pirates+ ships are getting sprite updates.
Sentinel Wing: Let's be honest. Who actually used these?

Some thoughts....
Avalon: Is imo worth keeping as it fills a distinct role - that being a frigate scale carrier. Maybe the sprite could be altered to make it look like a stripped out and converted Alastor so it doesn't stand out like a pristine white brick? The concept however, I think is pretty sound and useful.
Tundra/Vista/Sloop/Summit: Yes. They are not especially compelling any more given the recent additions.
Tick: I don't think the Naut existing necessarily invalidates the Tick's existence any more than the Hound invalidates the Cerberus.
Kestrel: I never really got a handle on how to use this ship tbh.
Camel: Mule (U) will align it with the Sunder and build a little SSP lore.
Locomotive: It was a decent enough idea that I sadly never really saw the point of using - it's slower than the Ox, and you don't get any efficiency savings for your greater expense and upkeep.
Bull: I'll actually be sad to see this quirky thing go, but if it's role is going to be covered elsewhere....
Sentinel Wing: No-one in thier right mind would use these except for a lark. But I still think they should be kept (in some form) because they make pretty decent antagonists as they are such a nuisance to fight around, given thier ability to straight up negate missiles (usually at the least convenient time).

Also, new Archer looks much nicer.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 09, 2016, 10:38:11 AM »

Personally I think the old archer actually looks better, but that's clearly a matter of preference.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 09, 2016, 12:02:22 PM »

It's all bulbous and bulge-y, the side missile hardpoints stick out at weird angles, and the two side turrets look like they're mounted on some sort of fungal growth.
i actually like all these things. they give the ship some unique character, which i think is important when it uses such a common base-shape. they also serve to give it a Gryphon-like style, beyond just color.

Slight update:
hmm. fewer engines looks good, those did seem a little over the top. but on the other hand, i think the previous one had a more interesting overall shape, with its rear as the widest part of the whole ship. you could move two of the rear turrets there, on similar extensions as the front/center ones. or give it little winglets, for more arrow-like feeling.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2699 on: April 09, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

It's all bulbous and bulge-y, the side missile hardpoints stick out at weird angles, and the two side turrets look like they're mounted on some sort of fungal growth.
i actually like all these things. they give the ship some unique character, which i think is important when it uses such a common base-shape. they also serve to give it a Gryphon-like style, beyond just color.

Slight update:
hmm. fewer engines looks good, those did seem a little over the top. but on the other hand, i think the previous one had a more interesting overall shape, with its rear as the widest part of the whole ship. you could move two of the rear turrets there, on similar extensions as the front/center ones. or give it little winglets, for more arrow-like feeling.

The front and mid sections are supposed to be the "arrow" part, to begin with.  We tried winglets but they just looked weird.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 197