Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325152 times)

EvilWaffleThing

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Starsector+ 3.4.0
« Reply #2670 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:52 AM »

It was originally from the old Starsector plus mod that died long ago. Doesn't works anymore, obviously.
That's a real shame, I loved that thing, wish I could mod so I could put it in myself lol

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 08, 2016, 12:39:11 AM »

I'm also going to miss the mobile HQ hullmod, if only because it was part of what made fighters good in SSP. If you could tank the crew loss and had enough mobile HQs, you could lose every single replacement chassis every single battle and get them back immediately after the battle ended. It went a long way towards making fighter-heavy fleets viable in the post-officer universe.

Wing Command nearly doubles your fighters' effective hull/armor/shields.
Yup, SSP does a lot of stuff to make fighters more viable. In one game I had a very fun time with a fleet based around 3 Avalons with Expanded Flight Decks and 12 wings of Wasps. I'm not saying that fighters will become totally useless without mobile HQs, I just liked how they would never run out of chassis as long as you had mobile HQ CR left. The way mobile HQs almost completely negated an entire mechanic is probably slightly OP, in hindsight.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:46:55 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 08, 2016, 02:40:33 AM »

It is strange that you plan to remove some hulls in the upcoming 3.5.0 version. Any specific reason for it?
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Wild Card

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 08, 2016, 02:46:53 AM »

Some will be used for IBB and some will maybe be remade....i asked this very thing last page

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 08, 2016, 04:14:32 AM »

It is strange that you plan to remove some hulls in the upcoming 3.5.0 version. Any specific reason for it?

Quote from: Dark.Revenant
Avalon: Weird sprite, pointless with the cheap-ass Condor and even cheaper Chengdu available.
Tundra/Vista/Sloop/Summit: Weird sprites, also rather redundant especially with the recent vanilla ship additions.
Tick: The Nautilus exists.
Camel: This one isn't permanently removed; it will eventually get retooled into a Mule (U).
Kestrel: Overlaps with Falcon, Eagle, Vulture, and Heron. It really didn't need to exist.
Locomotive: You can just use multiple Oxen. It's not like there's a fleet cap in SS+ anymore.
Bull: Mudskipper Mk2 and Buffalo Mk 2 - mashed together. Didn't really merit keeping, since the other Pirates+ ships are getting sprite updates.
Sentinel Wing: Let's be honest. Who actually used these?

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 08, 2016, 06:06:18 AM »

I disagree with the Locomotive removal.

It could be made either a bit more fuel efficient, more supply efficient or carry more ships, the fact that is stuck at burn 8 is already a big disadvantage (already in "old" SS+ having 4 Oxen was always better than a single Locomotive in all fronts but fleet space)

Also the supply/month cap is a bit iffy to me, wouldn't a fleet that is so big that it is economically unfeasible to sustain be already a limit (ie: you're burning through more supplies and fuel than you can make money)?

I however want the Parrot now that i see it, how difficult would it be to bring it back?
On the left half of the Bell curve

Drglord

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 08, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »

Also i was wondering is there anyway to get these unique ships i see in the tips? Like the alien zero ultimate cruiser? Edit some file to get it available on prism freeport or in my own faction (more of an exelerin question i guess)?
Also i don't like that freeport doesn't spawn in the center of the sector anymore can i switch that back?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 08, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »

I feel that Kestrel is distinct enough vs Falcon/Eagle/Vulture in terms of gameplay - none of these have large slots. Heron as a carrier is simply not comparable.
Though yes, it's look as well as ship system are generic.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 08, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »

The only one I'll miss out of all these is the Bull. A staple of pirate fleets that is fun to demolish and still a bit of a threat. Can't really compare it to either of its parents - the Buffalo is more of a missile boat and the Mudskipper practically kills itself. Bull with a Hellbore is nothing to sneeze at in the early game.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »

I feel that Kestrel is distinct enough vs Falcon/Eagle/Vulture in terms of gameplay - none of these have large slots. Heron as a carrier is simply not comparable.
Though yes, it's look as well as ship system are generic.
Yeah, I would've taken the Vulture out rather than the Kestrel.  A mid-tech cruiser with a large ballistic slot is something I feel the base game is missing.  Plus the Kestrel just looks flat.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2680 on: April 08, 2016, 01:49:11 PM »

Locomotive: Come on, it's just an Ox but slightly different.  Maintaining its script was a pain too.
Kestrel: It's not really that compelling.  The Vulture plays a lot better.  If you want a large-slotted eagle, there's always the Shouren.
Bull: This was a joint decision between me and the guy who made the ship.

Wild Card

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 08, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »

So with the ships removed, any chance for some new ones.
Was wondering if there was a destroyer class missile boat out there? to fit somewhere between the Basileus F (from II) and the Griffin (from vanilla)...the bull was kind of sort of that...if i`m not mistaking

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2682 on: April 08, 2016, 04:23:17 PM »

Was wondering if there was a destroyer class missile boat out there? to fit somewhere between the Basileus F (from II) and the Griffin (from vanilla)...the bull was kind of sort of that...if i`m not mistaking

You mean the Archer?  Coincidentally, it got overhauled:

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 08, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »

You mean the Archer?  Coincidentally, it got overhauled:

D:

I really like the current Archer.  It's a wonky ship that needs a certain type of fleet to perform well, but I love making it work.

You shouldn't, of course, be obligated to explain why you make changes to your mod, but I would like to hear the rationale behind the ship getting changed so significantly.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:01:36 PM by Adraius »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2684 on: April 08, 2016, 04:53:56 PM »

Looking and feeling better in every way isn't reason enough?  It still acts like the old Archer but is much more fun to fly.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 197