Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325245 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.5
« Reply #915 on: February 01, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »

Hey DR (or anyone else who might know),
Any idea what could be causing starsector to blur (looks like previous frames don't get deleted and only the changes to the new frame get added) with ss+ installed? I've narrowed the problem down to this mod but I can't for the life of me figure out the actual cause.

Go back a couple pages (default forum settings put it at the top of page 59) and see if that's the same issue.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #916 on: February 01, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »

Hey DR (or anyone else who might know),
Any idea what could be causing starsector to blur (looks like previous frames don't get deleted and only the changes to the new frame get added) with ss+ installed? I've narrowed the problem down to this mod but I can't for the life of me figure out the actual cause.

That's caused by distortions in shaderlib, likely because of some issue with your graphics device or drivers.  Are you sure your laptop is using its higher-powered card (if any)?  If you don't find success with that, turn distortions off in shaderSettings.json.

java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [exported_variant_brdy_mantis_eee182aa-820a-4e05-baff-73ebeb015875] not found!

Is it fixable on my end, or is the simulator a no go for me anymore?

That's because one of the variants you have in your save file is invalid.  Not sure how to fix that, since it never happens to me.

Without any more testing and right off the top of my head, the AI seems really really iffy currently. It feels like a lot of the fights are way too easy, simply because instead of managing its flux, the AI dumps everything it has on you then vents while you're still shooting it. Like I'm talking about cruisers going down to wolves with beam weapons because the cruiser vents right in front of the wolf, with full missile racks. Its kinda ruining the experience for me.

I don't see how I could possibly fix that.  Yes, the AI vents more often in SS+.  However, in vanilla, the AI would just let itself overload in the same situation, which is even worse.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 01, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »

When the ship is about to be overloaded it is better for it to vent, but I've been seeing some ships vent with only 20% or so flux built up, in-range of enemies. Seems like silly damage that could have been avoided sometimes.

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 01, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

I had one of my Mimir battleships vent at 30% in range of about 10 ships, and get blown up in 5 seconds. If its captain wasn`t dead, Id`ve killed him myself after the battle.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 01, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »

I've seen weird venting things happen with Hounds as well. It seemed like their main weapon perhaps required too much flux to fire even one salvo, so for weapons that have a long firing sound it would play part of the "wind up" and the Hound would vent before even firing (which was funny because the "pewpew" sound of the shot plays while nothing actually happens). Sometimes on the heavier one-shot weapons they'll fire and immediately vent, which is really weird considering they have no shield. I guess it's just a quirk of having random loadouts on an AI that ought not become too complex.

On a somewhat similar note, could the random loadout maker be set up to not put extended shields on ships that already have 360deg coverage? Was looking at an opponent before a battle and had a WTF moment when it said he had 420deg of shield coverage. ;D
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #920 on: February 01, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »

On a somewhat similar note, could the random loadout maker be set up to not put extended shields on ships that already have 360deg coverage? Was looking at an opponent before a battle and had a WTF moment when it said he had 420deg of shield coverage. ;D

There is no function to get the arc of a shield from the context of the variant randomizer.  I'll ask Alex to have one added.

I'll try to improve the vent AI but I can't make many promises.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #921 on: February 01, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »

java.lang.RuntimeException: Ship hull variant [exported_variant_brdy_mantis_eee182aa-820a-4e05-baff-73ebeb015875] not found!
Mission variants can be found in [Starsector directory]/saves/variants. I imagine campaign variants are stored somewhere similar in /saves/[character_dir]/(either here or in campaign.zip). Anyway, try deleting the listed Mantis variant if it exists in either of those places, or if it doesn't try copypasting an existing Mantis variant and editing it to match.

That's my best guess anyway. Sorry if it doesn't help!

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 01, 2015, 11:03:32 PM »

Spoiler
If its captain wasn`t dead, Id`ve killed him myself after the battle.
[close]

Tales of a spaceship flotilla commander. I laughed  ;D

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 02, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »

I don't see how I could possibly fix that.  Yes, the AI vents more often in SS+.  However, in vanilla, the AI would just let itself overload in the same situation, which is even worse.
Well, in my experience the vanilla AI only does that when its very close to death, and yours does too. Is there some way I could remove the AI from the mod, and use the vanilla one? Or could you make it toggle-able in the settings file?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #924 on: February 02, 2015, 05:33:18 PM »

Turns out a recent change to the Vent AI actually broke it, causing it to ignore the threat rating of nearby ships/weapons, except for projectiles already in motion.

Obviously, this has caused problems.  It's been resolved for 2.6.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 03, 2015, 07:50:24 AM »

Turns out a recent change to the Vent AI actually broke it, causing it to ignore the threat rating of nearby ships/weapons, except for projectiles already in motion.

Obviously, this has caused problems.  It's been resolved for 2.6.
Ah good to know, guess I'll hold off on my new game :)
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 03, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »

it's so nice to know my whining about the AI had some actual basis in reality

Anyway, looking at the changelog, really excellent job you're doing! Thank you so much for improving the Starsector experience!

Julzjuice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:28 PM »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to know how much allocated memory you guys are using to run the game? I posted not long a ago having problems with loading saves after a certain time had elapsed in the campaign. I first had 4 gig of ram allocated and it seemed fined up to a certain point where I could no longer load my saves. So I changed it again to 5 gig and thought that it had solved my problem because I could finally load my saves again!! So I played some more up until the point where, AGAIN, I can't load my save anymore EVEN with 5 gig of ram allocated in java.

Am I the only one having that problem?!? This is getting so old now... And quite frankly, I don't even feel like playing anymore...

So yea, has anyone encountered that problem?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 04, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »

What mods are you using Julzjuice?

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 04, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »

Hey Julz I recently had a similar issue- I use 3g to start and 6g max. But it turns out, that for a long time, I thought it was working and it was not at all. If your game still tells you youre not using enough RAM when you start a new game, then you have not done it right- the .bat file may not be enough, and you may need to use option B like I did.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 197