Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325337 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.4
« Reply #750 on: January 10, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »

I've tested the new balance and found it to be just fine, both in early game when all you have is one frigate, and late when you have a minmaxed fleet.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #751 on: January 10, 2015, 03:39:07 AM »

By the time you get to level 40, the old AI fleets are total pushovers to the point where even a gigantic million-credit bounty is no sweat.  The extra OP is to pad out the endgame.
Huh. I must be a lot worse at the game than I thought then, because that's not my experience at all. I find the bounty fleets perfectly manageable for most of the game, but in a battle with the end level fleets in 2.3 and before I could generally expect to lose at least a few ships, and a complete fleet wipe was not an extraordinary scenario.

Well, I figure I can just learn to fight smarter, specifically in high-level engagements. You're the boss!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #752 on: January 10, 2015, 04:22:26 AM »

Yep, I am aware the difficulty level in SS+ is significantly higher than in the vanilla game, as it should be.  Makes succeeding at a hard battle more rewarding, I think.

If you run iron mode, learn to know when to fold 'em.  If the battle looks like it could go badly, order a retreat and get out while you can.  Escaping is a lot more feasible now.

samsaq

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.4 Graphics glitches
« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2015, 04:29:15 AM »

My game is having graphics glitches(see attachments for screenshots) and i am using the same setup(as in mods i`m using what i edited in starsector)(I increased memory) which works on another computer, but when I don`t use starsector plus I don`t have theses glitches.(there is also a glitch in which sometimes upon munitions hitting the shields a explosion bubble appears and lag occurs, when you pause you get the glitch in which the heads up display, ie. health,flux,displays over and over evenly spaced moving in a line, leaving behind its trail,. in correlation of how you move the mouse.)(i can`t attach the example screenshots because there can only be up to 192kb of attachments)Any ideas how to fix this?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2015, 04:31:35 AM »

Set "enableDistortion" to false in shaderlib's shaderSettings.json.  Your computer can't handle them, apparently.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2015, 03:32:15 AM »

How does the phase cloak of the Zero series in Arcade work? I need to know how to duplicate the final boss's bullet spam from hell so I can beat him.

(yeah, I can't beat the Zero even after cheating and giving myself an Omega Zero, I'm pathetic)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #756 on: January 13, 2015, 03:34:15 AM »

The phase cloak thing only works in the arcade.  It's scripted really heavily.

Spenz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Meh I'm not liking the balance changes all that much.

-Entopic Rangefinder bringing in a -50% recoil bonus instead of the range bonus?  Utterly worthless now.  It makes the early and mid games much harder than they have to be.  I fly tech ships.  I don't have recoil issues.  Instead I am forced to knife fight (tech ships dont do that too well) or wait till I get tech 7 and fit the targeting unit.  Why even make this change?  It puts energy weapons at a wild disadvantage due to the fact that ballistics will actually take advantage of the recoil bonus and outrange the energy weapons.

-All drop rates significantly reduced.  Killing fleets seems to be half as profitable as it used to be.

-Templar no longer drop templar flux cores (probably due to the nerfed drop rate) so there is no real reward to engage them.

-Boarding actions now seem to rarely, if ever, succeed.  And that is with docked boarding.  No matter how many Valks I have, my success rate on stand-off boarding is somewhere around 10%.  Didn't happen last patch.

-Bounties are WILDLY distributed.  I am getting 1 mil credit bounties mixed in with 10k credit bounties....and I am still in my starter Tempest.

-Bounties almost always have the Hegemony issuing them.  Everyone hates the Hegemony so if I want to actually do their bounties I cannot grind rep or trade with most everyone I actually want to deal with.  I hate flying Hegemony and Independent vessels.

I dunno if these changes are a result of me starting a brand new game with all the mods newly updated.  Most of these issues could be from the Templar update or the Imperium update.  I have no clue.  All I know is that the game is much harder than it was last patch, and I dunno if the changes to do so (especially the rangefinder skill) were even necessary.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 12:29:08 PM by Spenz »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:52 PM »

-Entopic Rangefinder bringing in a -50% recoil bonus instead of the range bonus?  Utterly worthless now.  It makes the early and mid games much harder than they have to be.  I fly tech ships.  I don't have recoil issues.  Instead I am forced to knife fight (tech ships dont do that too well) or wait till I get tech 7 and fit the targeting unit.  Why even make this change?  It puts energy weapons at a wild disadvantage due to the fact that ballistics will actually take advantage of the recoil bonus and outrange the energy weapons.
The range bonus was utterly broken.  Range is the best stat in the game.  Even a recoil bonus is rather powerful.  If you're flying mostly high-tech ships, then just skip gunnery implants.  There are other skills to invest in.

-All drop rates significantly reduced.  Killing fleets seems to be half as profitable as it used to be.
-Templar no longer drop templar flux cores (probably due to the nerfed drop rate) so there is no real reward to engage them.
-Boarding actions now seem to rarely, if ever, succeed.  And that is with docked boarding.  No matter how many Valks I have, my success rate on stand-off boarding is somewhere around 10%.  Didn't happen last patch.
This is simply untrue.  Boarding and fleet drops have not been changed at all since the last patch.  What mods do you have active?  Perhaps one of them is overriding the SS+ version of FleetInteractionDialogPlugin.

-Bounties are WILDLY distributed.  I am getting 1 mil credit bounties mixed in with 10k credit bounties....and I am still in my starter Tempest.
Intentional.  Not everybody does bounties throughout the game, not everybody wants to grind up to get the good ones.  I feel it's a nice touch to see bounties beyond your level every now and then.  The world feels bigger.

-Bounties almost always have the Hegemony issuing them.  Everyone hates the Hegemony so if I want to actually do their bounties I cannot grind rep or trade with most everyone I actually want to deal with.  I hate flying Hegemony and Independent vessels.
Confirmation bias.  The Hegemony is no more likely than any other faction (assuming those factions are set up to give bounties in the first place).

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »

I have noticed the lack of Templar flux cores aswell. I basically have all the mods for 0.6.5.1.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »

I can't help you if I don't know what particular mods you have.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »

Boarding actions are much more likely to succeed if you actually get in close. Get in close and send about 3/4 the enemy crew count in marines or somewhere around a quarter more crew if you've no marines. Too few and they escape, too many and you cause collateral damage. There is a sweet spot where you are pretty much gonna succeed every time and the only concern then is that the enemy crew may self destruct the ship out of spite. No concern if you use your flagship battleship for it, sustain minor damage from it. The only time I've lost my battleship to it is the spiteful destruction of another battleship. Frigate explosions do like 5-10% damage, it's negligible.

Open bounties spawn when a lot of *** stirring occurs. I managed to get the Templars to post an open bounty after marauding their homeworld for an in-game month. If the Hegemony successfully and repeatedly engage the Imperium in their home turf, for example, then the Imperium will post an open bounty that is described as being likely triggered by Hegemony activity in the area. Interception of trade fleets helps to propagate these open bounties. Named bounties are random as far as I'm aware. Anyone posts them for seemingly no reason and aside from the assassinations, no-one posts up names on each other.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #762 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »

Boarding actions are much more likely to succeed if you actually get in close. Get in close and send about 3/4 the enemy crew count in marines or somewhere around a quarter more crew if you've no marines. Too few and they escape, too many and you cause collateral damage. There is a sweet spot where you are pretty much gonna succeed every time and the only concern then is that the enemy crew may self destruct the ship out of spite. No concern if you use your flagship battleship for it, sustain minor damage from it. The only time I've lost my battleship to it is the spiteful destruction of another battleship. Frigate explosions do like 5-10% damage, it's negligible.

Open bounties spawn when a lot of *** stirring occurs. I managed to get the Templars to post an open bounty after marauding their homeworld for an in-game month. If the Hegemony successfully and repeatedly engage the Imperium in their home turf, for example, then the Imperium will post an open bounty that is described as being likely triggered by Hegemony activity in the area. Interception of trade fleets helps to propagate these open bounties. Named bounties are random as far as I'm aware. Anyone posts them for seemingly no reason and aside from the assassinations, no-one posts up names on each other.

Actually, sending in extra marines/crew does not increase the chance of "collateral damage".  The only downside is potentially more are lost in casualties/explosions.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #763 on: January 13, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

I didn't read the patch notes carefully and actually assumed the Gunnery Implants range bonus had been moved to level 10.

That would actually have sort of worked with the suggestion someone else had (for vanilla) to swap Missile Specialization and Gunnery Implants between their skill trees. GI being in Technology makes sense thematically, but gameplay-wise it's the odd one out as the only Tech skill that affects only the player ship. It'd also make sense for something as OP as +25% range to be a Combat level 10 perk. Meanwhile, Missile Specialization currently forces people to put three points into Combat just for Expanded Missile Racks. (Good thing I can't see much use for ECCM Package and Automated Repair Unit, the only two other hullmods tied to a Combat skill)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #764 on: January 13, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »

I didn't read the patch notes carefully and actually assumed the Gunnery Implants range bonus had been moved to level 10.

That would actually have sort of worked with the suggestion someone else had (for vanilla) to swap Missile Specialization and Gunnery Implants between their skill trees. GI being in Technology makes sense thematically, but gameplay-wise it's the odd one out as the only Tech skill that affects only the player ship. It'd also make sense for something as OP as +25% range to be a Combat level 10 perk. Meanwhile, Missile Specialization currently forces people to put three points into Combat just for Expanded Missile Racks. (Good thing I can't see much use for ECCM Package and Automated Repair Unit, the only two other hullmods tied to a Combat skill)

The main problem with that is that Missile Specialization then becomes the odd one out as the only player-affecting Technology skill.  The Missile Specialization bonuses are simply way too strong to be fleetwide.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 197