Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325076 times)

Reh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.2
« Reply #615 on: December 03, 2014, 05:14:25 AM »

Sneak Peek
"awesome image"

I'm hoping we'll see it soon in our games. :)

Incidentally, I've played a few dozen hours with the updated SS+ and the fleets hunting player feel very close to what I imagine they were supposed to be. If I have my guard up, they're an interesting and challenging interval in the game, letting me fight some exotic ships and fleet configurations. If I leave some combat ships in storage, pull out my huge freighters to do an occasional gold run, and the pursuing fleet catches me with my pants down, boy I'm screwed.

One very small issue I still have is the chasing pirate fleets often are attacked by other military expeditions, and I don't get to fight them as often as I would like to. Sometimes it's ok, when I want to evade them for whatever reason, but quite regularly I'm already salivating to the thought of testing my new toys on the pursuing pirates when a Citadel behemoth fleet barges in and spoils all the fun. Honestly I have no idea how to adjust this. Is it possible at all to make the pirate fleets more cautious and not run into the middle of enemy fleets which destroy them completely. It would be interesting to see the bounty hunters linger around a system in hyperspace, avoiding other fleets, waiting for the player to emerge again and nail his scrotum to his flagship's keel.

Anyway, it's one of the most fun mechanics in SS+, and I can't wait for you to flesh it out more.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 05:18:37 AM by Reh »

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 03, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »

The last set of persuers I had was a "Mercenary" fleet technically unaffiliated with any of the normal factions (their icon was bright white and slaughtering them caused no standing loss anywhere). I suspect this is what happens when you upset a faction other than the pirates, and that they won't be intercepted by others.

Two minor things to report. The crew wage notifications stay on the Intel map for months even if filtered to the last week. In the market info window, stars added by outside mods (in my case I only have Interstellar Imperium) don't flash; that one may be a Vanilla bug.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

awpmax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »

I am experiencing heavy lag (and fps dropdown ~30) the moment "shield impact" effect makes the shield ripple.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M
8 GB RAM
Any ideas what could be causing this?
Btw pressing pause/break disables the shield ripple effect and fixes the lag issue, found out pressing it while missing the print screen button. Is it meant to be this way?
P.S. The mod is great.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:43:29 AM by awpmax »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 03, 2014, 06:55:04 AM »

You pretty much summed it up: you can disable the ripple effects in ShaderLib/shaderSettings.json by editing
Code
"enableDistortion":true, # Default: true
line 112 to
Code
"enableDistortion":false, # Default: true

Or even disabling all effects if you keep getting slowdowns.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #619 on: December 03, 2014, 10:12:43 AM »

I am experiencing heavy lag (and fps dropdown ~30) the moment "shield impact" effect makes the shield ripple.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M
8 GB RAM
Btw pressing pause/break disables the shield ripple effect and fixes the lag issue, found out pressing it while missing the print screen button. Is it meant to be this way?
P.S. The mod is great.

Most likely, your computer is trying to use a low-power integrated graphics card for Starsector instead of the 760M.  This is a common mobile issue.

Kaioh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 04, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M
8 GB RAM
P.S. The mod is great.

Most likely, your computer is trying to use a low-power integrated graphics card for Starsector instead of the 760M.  This is a common mobile issue.

MAAAN was that annoying!! I had the exact same problem. I tried forcing the computer to use my Nvidia graphics card but it kept using the integrated graphics card for some reason. So I just changed the settings so my computer would only use the Nvidia Graphics card for everything. Man it was frustrating.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 04, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »

Hey again, I am really sorry to bring this to your thread again, but I just want to offer feedback, and maybe get some more advice if anyone can take the time to lend it.

I wish to reason that as totally awesome as SS+ is, it's just too difficult. I have not been able to survive for more than an in-game month or so since playing it, even when cheating to give myself a hauler to better carry wares or loot (trying not to cheat too hard.) I've tried a variety of different starts, and I just can't manage it. If it's not the enemies being too tough, it's the circumstances. I am unable to live in some systems because I cannot make money to afford 300-400 credit supplies, and fuel is a similar issue in some but less systems (at least in my experience.)

I don't yet fully understand how boarding actions work because very often I will try to board and lose most or my entire fleet in the single boarding action. Why is boarding in the game if it can cost entire ships? Obviously I can use a crappy ship for the risk of boarding, but that wil lslow my leet down so that I cannot catch up to other fleets. I just don't understand how this game is meant to be played. I can see lots of different options and paths to take, but none of them are accessible to me.

Are you sure that non-integrated faction economies don't screw up SS+'s landscape? I have a lot of faction mods, all of them up to date of course, and some are more inherently stable than others. I just don't know what more I can do lol

And again, there are some starting options that just don't make sense, and I'm not trying to reason that you need to change these ASAP because I totally understand that they are not game breaking. But there are SO many Alastor small fleets floating around, and even a couple of lashers can completely dominant an Afflictor Class upgraded frigate that you can choose to start with. Like I said in one of my older posts, it is not possible to uncloak within your own weapon's range without taking massive damage from the weapons of a ballistic based ship. I just cannot wrap my head around it, and the less people offer their own experience, the more I feel like I am just completely insane .. =P

And perhaps it'd be slightly easier to start the player off with more than 15 supplies? But I am not yet sure. Each ship is very different in a way that makes zero sense to me. For example this highly advanced Afflictor is taking only .1 supplies a day. That's nothing compared to what some of the other ships you can start with demand.

Edit: So I started as Tr-Tachyon favored in an Afflictor, and immediately leave Corvus to go to Magec to start the game. I have enough fuel and supplies, so this trip is fine. But when I arrive, the system is totally filled with independent and Tachyon fleets with two little pirate fleets zipping around that I cannot catch. What in the world am I supposed to do now? I no longer have the fuel, supplies, nor money to leave Magec. I don't have the money or cargo space to invest trading within the system. So have I just immediately lost the game? Again, I just lack any understanding of how the beginning of SS+ is balanced.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:19:49 AM by TartarusMkII »

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 04, 2014, 11:24:37 AM »

300-400 credit supplies

Whoa. Where are you getting these? My supply costs especially in SS+ games range from like 30 (on a great day) to perhaps 150 in Jangala which for some *** reason always seems to have those prices. Unless you're buying these supplies during a trade disruption (which would be shown in the intel on your left side), prices should never rise this high.

boarding actions work because very often I will try to board and lose most or my entire fleet in the single boarding action. Why is boarding in the game if it can cost entire ships? Obviously I can use a crappy ship for the risk of boarding

You only need to use one ship, though more ships (I believe) make the chances higher. When I started SS (not SS+), it was easy just to use the free Hammerhead as a boarding ship, because it was unlikely to die from self-destructing ships. That being said, boarding is better done on a case-by-case basis. Many times it is simply unprofitable to board a ship, repair it, then sell it back to a station.

And again, there are some starting options that just don't make sense, and I'm not trying to reason that you need to change these ASAP because I totally understand that they are not game breaking. But there are SO many Alastor small fleets floating around, and even a couple of lashers can completely dominant an Afflictor Class upgraded frigate that you can choose to start with. Like I said in one of my older posts, it is not possible to uncloak within your own weapon's range without taking massive damage from the weapons of a ballistic based ship.

Forgive me for this, but I believe this is simply a result of bad flying. Afflictors are quite easy to use and can very easily disable any destroyer or frigate-class ship, with the exception of extremely fast ones (like the Hound) or high-tech ones (like the Tempest). You simply cloak up to them, uncloak when theyre in range of your Antimatter Blasters, quickly fire off two shots, and recloak. Done correctly, this happens fast enough that most ballistic weapon projectiles wont even have touched you by the time youve recloaked, after which you can either A) move out of range to vent, or B) stay decloaked if theyre overloaded and blast them with another round of Antimatter shots/missiles.

As for how the game is meant to be played... well, its a sandbox game, so you can play it however you want. Of course, there are a few easy routes, all of which overlap to some extent.
1) Bounty hunt enough enemies to earn lots of cash.
2) Take advantage of food shortages to earn lots of cash.
3) Any other method to earn lots of cash.
Then, use this cash to buy more ships. Rinse, repeat.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 04, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »

Thanks for the reply Jupjupy;

In my game, which is normal SS+ plus a few more UNintegrated factions, everything is much more expensive. When I open the intel map and sort by supply price, the highest known price for supplies is 430 due to a trade disruption and the lowest is 150, which seems to be the normal price on Sindria at the moment.

I wanted to board these alastars I keep coming across to make my fleet more powerful. I wish I could bring a crappy shuttle to do that job for me, but then I cannot catch fleets that I have any hope of fighting.

I understand I am bad at the game so I take no offense, but your description of the Afflictor is just not what I have experienced. This is especially true when fighting against ships with shields. The Afflictor you start with in SS+ is given two AM blasters and two Sabot SRMs. Sometimes both AM blasters are not enough to shut down the shields, and so firing off sabots first is necessary. But in my experience, when fighting ships that have anti armor guns, as soon as I uncloak, the AI will immediately fire to meet me- even if I cloak right away after firing off my shots, chances are I -will- take one or two of those anti armor shots and take massive damage. This does not seem to be in any way avoidable with the weapons given on my part.

I appreciate the description of the routes to play, but I feel like those work for vanilla and not SS+. I am not able to bounty hunt with one frigate no matter how strong. I cannot carry much supplies with this one combat frigate (and I guess I can if I start as a trader ofc). etc. You get my point.

Edit: So I wish I could record my game so I could just show you guys what it is I am going through, but I don't know how I can do that without just streaming the game. I managed to catch one fleet of one Lasher and killed it. But then as I tried to fly away at 1 burn speed trying to cart the stuff back to the nearest station to make desperate money, I was caught by another small frigate fleet. I chose to fly at 1 burn speed because I would have wanted to fight that fleet nearby anyway, and I was okay with them coming at me. But the fight was weird. I was able to damage one ship in the fight (it is about 4 frigates together, I dont know all of their names), but I am not fast enough to catch it as it retreats. I turn around to two Lashers, and I am totally powerless to stop them. I do not have the capacitor strength in the beginning of the game to fire both my AM blasters at the lasher to disable its shield all while trying to stay cloaked and get away from it to vent. The Lasher's shield is too strong and it vents faster than I do for some reason. My only option is to either keep trying to fight or retreat, or more aptly quit the game and restart.

I wish I could only show you somehow, what is happening here. As I uncloak to fire, the Lasher pre-emptively fires what looks like kinetic rounds of some kind that far out-reach my AM blasters. I take massive damage from each because my frontal armor is already worn down. I am unable to succeed, and even if I were, it would be at massive costs. And I edit this as I play of course- I have died to the second Lasher after killing the first. So, this is another loss chalked up for me where I have died in the 1st week or so, in only my second combat of the game.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:43:24 AM by TartarusMkII »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #624 on: December 04, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »

Hey again, I am really sorry to bring this to your thread again, but I just want to offer feedback, and maybe get some more advice if anyone can take the time to lend it.

I wish to reason that as totally awesome as SS+ is, it's just too difficult. I have not been able to survive for more than an in-game month or so since playing it, even when cheating to give myself a hauler to better carry wares or loot (trying not to cheat too hard.) I've tried a variety of different starts, and I just can't manage it. If it's not the enemies being too tough, it's the circumstances. I am unable to live in some systems because I cannot make money to afford 300-400 credit supplies, and fuel is a similar issue in some but less systems (at least in my experience.)

I don't yet fully understand how boarding actions work because very often I will try to board and lose most or my entire fleet in the single boarding action. Why is boarding in the game if it can cost entire ships? Obviously I can use a crappy ship for the risk of boarding, but that wil lslow my leet down so that I cannot catch up to other fleets. I just don't understand how this game is meant to be played. I can see lots of different options and paths to take, but none of them are accessible to me.

Are you sure that non-integrated faction economies don't screw up SS+'s landscape? I have a lot of faction mods, all of them up to date of course, and some are more inherently stable than others. I just don't know what more I can do lol

And again, there are some starting options that just don't make sense, and I'm not trying to reason that you need to change these ASAP because I totally understand that they are not game breaking. But there are SO many Alastor small fleets floating around, and even a couple of lashers can completely dominant an Afflictor Class upgraded frigate that you can choose to start with. Like I said in one of my older posts, it is not possible to uncloak within your own weapon's range without taking massive damage from the weapons of a ballistic based ship. I just cannot wrap my head around it, and the less people offer their own experience, the more I feel like I am just completely insane .. =P

And perhaps it'd be slightly easier to start the player off with more than 15 supplies? But I am not yet sure. Each ship is very different in a way that makes zero sense to me. For example this highly advanced Afflictor is taking only .1 supplies a day. That's nothing compared to what some of the other ships you can start with demand.

Edit: So I started as Tr-Tachyon favored in an Afflictor, and immediately leave Corvus to go to Magec to start the game. I have enough fuel and supplies, so this trip is fine. But when I arrive, the system is totally filled with independent and Tachyon fleets with two little pirate fleets zipping around that I cannot catch. What in the world am I supposed to do now? I no longer have the fuel, supplies, nor money to leave Magec. I don't have the money or cargo space to invest trading within the system. So have I just immediately lost the game? Again, I just lack any understanding of how the beginning of SS+ is balanced.

Believe it or not, boarding is even worse in vanilla than it is in SS+.  I suggest not trying to board until you have construction rigs to repair your stuff with and send on boarding actions.

Supplies being worth 300-400 is very odd, and probably from some mod you have.  In my experience (with only the integrated ones), they hover around 100 credits, some planets have them for 200, some for 60.

Afflictor takes some getting used to but it's probably the best frigate in the game (mods included), aside from the Hyperion and Tempest.  If you can handle phasing, it can kill almost anything.  The technique is basically to unphase and phase again very quickly, just long enough to shoot an antimatter blast.  Unphase and open up with your other weapons when they're venting.  I am making the Alastor rarer (and hounds/cerberus more common), so there's that at least.

Every starting option starts you off with exactly half of your supplies, fuel, and excess crew full.  This is similar to vanilla.  Supply use is from crew, by the way.

Magec is a bad starting area; there are no more combat fleets than vanilla there; that's just how hard it is normally.  You start in Corvus because there are always pirates floating around there.

Thanks for the reply Jupjupy;

In my game, which is normal SS+ plus a few more UNintegrated factions, everything is much more expensive. When I open the intel map and sort by supply price, the highest known price for supplies is 430 due to a trade disruption and the lowest is 150, which seems to be the normal price on Sindria at the moment.

I wanted to board these alastars I keep coming across to make my fleet more powerful. I wish I could bring a crappy shuttle to do that job for me, but then I cannot catch fleets that I have any hope of fighting.

I understand I am bad at the game so I take no offense, but your description of the Afflictor is just not what I have experienced. This is especially true when fighting against ships with shields. The Afflictor you start with in SS+ is given two AM blasters and two Sabot SRMs. Sometimes both AM blasters are not enough to shut down the shields, and so firing off sabots first is necessary. But in my experience, when fighting ships that have anti armor guns, as soon as I uncloak, the AI will immediately fire to meet me- even if I cloak right away after firing off my shots, chances are I -will- take one or two of those anti armor shots and take massive damage. This does not seem to be in any way avoidable with the weapons given on my part.

I appreciate the description of the routes to play, but I feel like those work for vanilla and not SS+. I am not able to bounty hunt with one frigate no matter how strong. I cannot carry much supplies with this one combat frigate (and I guess I can if I start as a trader ofc). etc. You get my point.

Edit: So I wish I could record my game so I could just show you guys what it is I am going through, but I don't know how I can do that without just streaming the game. I managed to catch one fleet of one Lasher and killed it. But then as I tried to fly away at 1 burn speed trying to cart the stuff back to the nearest station to make desperate money, I was caught by another small frigate fleet. I chose to fly at 1 burn speed because I would have wanted to fight that fleet nearby anyway, and I was okay with them coming at me. But the fight was weird. I was able to damage one ship in the fight (it is about 4 frigates together, I dont know all of their names), but I am not fast enough to catch it as it retreats. I turn around to two Lashers, and I am totally powerless to stop them. I do not have the capacitor strength in the beginning of the game to fire both my AM blasters at the lasher to disable its shield all while trying to stay cloaked and get away from it to vent. The Lasher's shield is too strong and it vents faster than I do for some reason. My only option is to either keep trying to fight or retreat, or more aptly quit the game and restart.

I wish I could only show you somehow, what is happening here. As I uncloak to fire, the Lasher pre-emptively fires what looks like kinetic rounds of some kind that far out-reach my AM blasters. I take massive damage from each because my frontal armor is already worn down. I am unable to succeed, and even if I were, it would be at massive costs.

Which factions are these?  They are probably producing no supplies and have to import everything.

Just get a normal shuttle, not a D version.  They're cheap.

With those two AM blasters, the technique is to have only one on cooldown at any time; if they drop shields and vent, unphase and blast them, otherwise just bide your time and build their hard flux.  Even if you take hits, the Afflictor has a lot of armor for a frigate, so don't worry about that.  It's not like anything larger than a contender will hit you anyway.

In my own experience, I can effortlessly crush entire pirate fleets with just a starting Tempest with the default loadout.  Granted, I'm one of the most veteran members of this forum and have been playing since the first public version, but I'm nowhere near the level of someone like Gothars.  Are you piloting the ship correctly (using shift to turn to cursor, etc)?

Don't let your burn speed go to 1, dude; if you are bounty hunting at the start, just get the expensive stuff and leave the metal and volatiles floating in space.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 04, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

Thanks for your response and your patience, D.R,

I can easily see why the Afflictor is a great duelist, but if I make one ship vent, and there is another next to it ready to shoot me, there's little I can do. But anyhow, let me list what mods I have active, in the hopes that maybe it would help shed some kind of light:

SS+ 2.2+, Citadel, Common Radar, Console Commands, ICE, Interstellar Imperium, Junk Pirates/ASP/PACK, LazyLib, Leading Pip, SCY, ShadowYards, Simulator Overhaul (I accept the issues this causes to itself), Crystanite Coalition, Knights Templar, Mayorate, Twiglib, Shaderlib.

So I guess it makes sense if those factions do draw too many supplies from the economy, but I'd be unsure as to which it might be.

Another issue I have is that I don't usually like to travel between systems for many reasons other than to do big big trades, or to relocate myself. This is because in the time it takes to travel I burn so many supplies and fuel that I can hardly hope to re-coup the cost after moving. There are so many systems from mods and such where the local eco is stable and conflict-less. The best example of this is the Citadel- I have only been to that system once in all of my playthroughs. I cannot get enough money to warrant going there to buy anything from them.

What do you think of any of that? I value your experience, of course.

Edit: Also how did you mean about crew and supply use? As an example, as I am still in the post-combat loot screen, I have -4 supplies per day: 2.0 for ship repairs and CR Recovery, .1 for crew upkeep, and 1.9 for extra capacity (because I am deciding what to leave behind =P )
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:20:19 PM by TartarusMkII »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #626 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

Thanks for your response and your patience, D.R,

I can easily see why the Afflictor is a great duelist, but if I make one ship vent, and there is another next to it ready to shoot me, there's little I can do. But anyhow, let me list what mods I have active, in the hopes that maybe it would help shed some kind of light:

SS+ 2.2+, Citadel, Common Radar, Console Commands, ICE, Interstellar Imperium, Junk Pirates/ASP/PACK, LazyLib, Leading Pip, SCY, ShadowYards, Simulator Overhaul (I accept the issues this causes to itself), Crystanite Coalition, Knights Templar, Mayorate, Twiglib, Shaderlib.

So I guess it makes sense if those factions do draw too many supplies from the economy, but I'd be unsure as to which it might be.

Another issue I have is that I don't usually like to travel between systems for many reasons other than to do big big trades, or to relocate myself. This is because in the time it takes to travel I burn so many supplies and fuel that I can hardly hope to re-coup the cost after moving. There are so many systems from mods and such where the local eco is stable and conflict-less. The best example of this is the Citadel- I have only been to that system once in all of my playthroughs. I cannot get enough money to warrant going there to buy anything from them.

What do you think of any of that? I value your experience, of course.

I have not seen the economy for JP/ASP/PACK or Scy but I seriously suspect Crystanite Coalition is causing these problems.

Fuel isn't THAT expensive.  It's effectively a 40 light year trip from, say, Corvus to Citadel, and if you have three frigates and two destroyers that's about 280 fuel, or about 18,000 credits.  Your crew will consume maybe 3 supplies per day, and that trip is perhaps 10 days long, so that's 30 supplies or 4,000 credits.  Salaries will be around 4,000 credits as well.  By mid-game, a single bounty awards about 100,000 credits, much more than the 26,000 credits needed to cross the whole sector.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 04, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

Yea, it's definitely not the fuel that is so expensive, but the supplies; at least in my game.

I only just added Crystanite yesterday and was having these issues before hand, but let me go to their system real quick using the console and see what they've got.

Yea, interesting, It seems that Crystanite have their own commodity called solar capsules, but it seems to serve the purpose of food rather than supplies; of course their ships would use supplies.

However, their homeworld, Crystanos II, is specialized for industry of all sorts. It is an Ore Refining complex, creating metals and rare metals, an Autofactory- Heavy Industrial Blueprints for heavy indy machinery, It is a military base, requiring supplies, fuel, and weapons and machinery, it produces anti matter fuel, It is an HQ, increasing stability, it has no black market, and use solar capsules as food.

But even here at Crystanos II, the price of supplies is 447 due to trade disrption. But.. oddly, the trade disruption label says "Supplies prices increased to ~280c". So obviously something is wrong here, but I am not sure if it is Crystanite's fault..

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »

Personally i would consider the Afflictor as the second best frigate in SS vanilla, even higher than the Tempest but lower than the Hyperion. Like DR said, phasing in and out just to let enough time to fire your AM blasters is the key, most enemy weapons won't reach you in time when you're vulnerable.

The most important thing with the Afflictor is to max out the flux venting and then the capacity. I very rarely use the 5 weapons slots on my Afflictors, i just need the twin (i prefer them linked) AM blasters and the two missiles mounts (sometime i even skip the missiles and add a 3rd AM)

The only thing that can legitimately scare you early game are Alastors swarm because of their speed, firepower and good shield but they should be less common in the next SS+ update. But even then no ship is totally impossible to take down for the Afflictor, it all depend on how many shots you have.

Here's a video of Nemonaemo showing how to pilot one reasonably well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5DWOxtX_E&index=23&list=UUKq4a_AJig1x-826Z8Kc3tA

Speaking of phase ship. I think the Shade should get a buff. As a phase ship it only get three roles, striker, disabler or flying decoy. By itself the Shade isn't that bad, it's just that the Afflictor perform better in all those roles.

The Shade can't perform the Striker role as well because it lack the flux capacity/vent and the ordnance points of the Afflictor. As a striker, your job is to fight like a ninja, phasing in and out between each shots. The Shade can do it, it's just not as good as the Afflictor due to its flux inefficiency.

For the disabler role. The Shade have the disadvantage of having its EMP emitter. Yes, a disadvantage, because it need to stay un-cloaked to use it to its full power and an un-cloaked phase ship is a dead ship, even with the slightly heavier armor of the Shade. If you really want a disabler ship, an Afflictor covered with ion cannons can do it much safer.

And then for the decoy role, just like for the Striker role, it need as much flux stats as it can and the Afflictor will always have more.

On top of that, most of its stats are slightly lower than the Afflictor.

So i thought about a possible buff to the Shade. My idea would be replace the two universals mounts with a single medium turret. The Shade would still be "weaker" than the Afflictor but the medium universal would offer more customization options and possibly some new roles that the Afflictor can't currently fill.

The first thing that comes to mind would be to strap a Typhoon reaper launcher on it. Could also work with some of the SS+ weapons, the heavy ion cannon would be very scary, the lightning gun would make the Shade an infuriatingly un-catchable long range fire support. Just an idea.

edit: Here's what i have in mind.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:01:55 PM by HELMUT »

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »

Thanks a ton for your response and even the video linkage, HELMUT, I appreciate it. I actually figure this PD Laser on the Afflictor is not very useful, but I am already maxed out on vents and the Resistant Flux Conduits that it starts with.

Bah and here I am having to restart the game in the first month again. As a hunter, I cannot possibly find people to fight this early in the game. I waste so much fuel and supplies desperately trying to find people I can fight. There are bounties on the map, even one here in Corvus, but they are of the elite kind, and I cannot possibly fight them in just one Afflictor..

Edit: After this next restart, this time Corvus is over run by pirates. But I *** you not, there are at least 10 medium sized fleets zipping around and two large ones. There are NO small fleets. What am I supposed to do? Who am I fighting? Maybe I should ask instead what would YOU do upon entering the game in this state?

Edit 2: Okay, lost to an Alastar, Lasher, and some other tiny small OP frigate in my first combat of the game.

I feel like if I were to record this all and put it on youtube, it'd get views. It's funny how bad I am. This is excruciating and I'd LOVE to be playing anything else right now, but I only want to see what I am doing wrong.

So I f***ing start over, and try something else this time. Tri-Tachyon dry dock engineer with upgraded weapons. Oh wait, what's that? You're flying a Wolf? Please, enjoy these heavy and dual needlers, I'm sure they will help you.

Edit 3 (lol): Okay, so in my first combat of this playthrough, I am fighting a small shuttle and a hound. Easy, right? I start trying to hit the hound, it's difficult because of its speed. I'm just about to kill it. It turns around and unloads a huge burst of HE something at me, and I get crippled to about 10% health.

So I guess I'm done with your mod for now. I [highly] recommend making sure anyone dabbling with SS+ be thoroughly aware when downloading it that it is for veteran players like you lot. I'm probably going to grind my face against this another day, but for now I'm just seriously done with SS+. It has been two days of playthroughs of SS+ without ever getting past 1 month of in game time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 01:18:54 PM by TartarusMkII »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 197