Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325069 times)

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.2
« Reply #600 on: December 02, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »

Theyre like submarines in most warship games. You hate them, you know theyre the bane of all surface vessels, and you cant seem to ever destroy one. Yet, at the same time, when you hop into one, all you face is death.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: December 02, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

Theyre like submarines in most warship games. You hate them, you know theyre the bane of all surface vessels, and you cant seem to ever destroy one. Yet, at the same time, when you hop into one, all you face is death.

Heh, true dat. Phase ship piloting is one of the hardest things to do, but it certainly is effective when done right.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 02, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »

Hey, I just wanted to ask for some advice;

No matter how I start the game, I have insane difficulty getting anything done. Prices change so quickly and I don't have much money to trade with. Most fleets that pirates use (the only way for me to really make money where I start in Corvus) are too big for me to fight with my Alastar, and when I do find a one-ship fleet which is so rare, it tends to be a little frigate that totally rapes by big slow Alastar. I'm very confused as to how I am supposed to begin playing in SS+ without using the console to give myself an edge.

What am I supposed to do?

KvaNTy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 02, 2014, 10:19:45 AM »

No matter how I start the game, I have insane difficulty getting anything done. Prices change so quickly and I don't have much money to trade with. Most fleets that pirates use (the only way for me to really make money where I start in Corvus) are too big for me to fight with my Alastar, and when I do find a one-ship fleet which is so rare, it tends to be a little frigate that totally rapes by big slow Alastar. I'm very confused as to how I am supposed to begin playing in SS+ without using the console to give myself an edge.

Try different beginning maybe? As a privateer for example where you start with Wolf frigate.
As for me it is one of the most interesting ship to fly. Three Wolves are a great power capable to deal even with cruisers.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #604 on: December 02, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »

Prices change no more quickly than in vanilla.  The Alastor is one of the better frigates in the game; abuse its ability to rush in and rush out and you can kill a lot of stuff. It doesn't even need to worry about missiles.

SS+ is definitely harder than vanilla.  Plan accordingly.

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 02, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »

Is it possible to buy tridents or astral,  and if yes where?

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2014, 02:54:34 PM »

Prices change no more quickly than in vanilla.  The Alastor is one of the better frigates in the game; abuse its ability to rush in and rush out and you can kill a lot of stuff. It doesn't even need to worry about missiles.

SS+ is definitely harder than vanilla.  Plan accordingly.

I just hope you don't think I am complaining- of all the TCs around, I love SS+ the most. I recognize that I suck, which is why I ask for advice =P

Also, I notice that when you are a mercenary with an upgraded ship, you start with one hammerhead. I remember in Vanilla, people were suggesting to start with a wolf and hammerhead, and then just sell the hammerhead because it slows the fleet down too much to be used in the beginning of the game. So now I wonder, I start the game with one hammerhead at a burn speed of 4. What exactly am I supposed to be fighting in it? =s

Edit: I got into a fight with a Lasher variant and a Hound variant with my Hammerhead, and I admit it was my fault for allowing myself to overload my flux, but then for some reason I was overloaded for almost 5 seconds or so until the moment the lasher had finished me off with its strong missiles. Like.. okay.. just going to restart now. It is the way of rogue-likes, I get that. But even if it's not SS+'s fault, my interest is in the issue that there's just not enough things in the beginning of the game that can allow you to spring board further.

Edit 2: Still testing this out some. I am not exactly sure what it is, and I've never noticed it before now, but it seems like when I take damage while I am overheating, I just stay overheating for longer. It's perpetual especially when fighting multiple frigates like you suggested I should be fine against. It's not the PDs that are pushing me over, it's my failure to gauge the flux of the dual chainguns when I am using the acc. ammo feeder. Again, my fault, I own it, yes. But being perpetually stunned is strange to say the least. I cannot catch fleeing frigates, so I don't see the point. I won the fight, sure, but then lost all my supplies in the process and lost all the cargo I had won trying to crawl back to a station. I am now at a net loss and cannot afford to pay my crew and enough supplies to continue operating. Oh no wait I was wrong, I have nothing for repairs either, let alone operation. I am stuck at 0% CR. Oh hell, and again being scanned or cargo as soon as I start the game makes this even more difficult. Not SS+'s fault, I know. Again, I'm not meaning to complain, but f***, what am I doing wrong?And what am I supposed to be doing?..

Edit 3: Clearly the hammerhead is not buffed if, when trying to run from the hegemony's initial scan just to see if I can do something different, THEIR OWN hammerhead is catching up to me while firing all of its guns while I am trying to maintain 0% flux speed and unable to escape it. Okay, so I restarted on the same path again but this time as a Tachyon corporate member. I chose to start with a ship upgrade, so that is the tempest.. I start with a tempest... In Corvus. The Hegemony is inhospitable to me... The fleet adjacent to me immediately attacks me........

Guess I am done with Starsector for this evening.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:54:30 PM by TartarusMkII »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #607 on: December 02, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Is it possible to buy tridents or astral,  and if yes where?

Tridents: high-stability worlds, particularly military markets.  Can also be found rarely in some modded markets, particularly the Interstellar Imperium and Citadel.
Astrals: size-4 or higher high-stability tri-tachyon or independent worlds, particularly military markets.  Better odds than vanilla, but still, good luck.

I just hope you don't think I am complaining- of all the TCs around, I love SS+ the most. I recognize that I suck, which is why I ask for advice =P

Also, I notice that when you are a mercenary with an upgraded ship, you start with one hammerhead. I remember in Vanilla, people were suggesting to start with a wolf and hammerhead, and then just sell the hammerhead because it slows the fleet down too much to be used in the beginning of the game. So now I wonder, I start the game with one hammerhead at a burn speed of 4. What exactly am I supposed to be fighting in it? =s

No worries.  The hammerhead is slightly buffed in SS+, and it also benefits greatly from the reduced energy PD OP costs.  In total you get a good 8 extra OP you would have normally lost on LRPDs, plus 300 flux capacity.  You can take on small pirate fleets (~3 frigates) with that, no problem.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: December 02, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »

Just an FYI, I edited my earlier post to save space. Sorry to negate that, just wanted to continue..

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #609 on: December 02, 2014, 04:01:11 PM »

Quote from: TartarusMkII
Edit: I got into a fight with a Lasher variant and a Hound variant with my Hammerhead, and I admit it was my fault for allowing myself to overload my flux, but then for some reason I was overloaded for almost 5 seconds or so until the moment the lasher had finished me off with its strong missiles. Like.. okay.. just going to restart now. It is the way of rogue-likes, I get that. But even if it's not SS+'s fault, my interest is in the issue that there's just not enough things in the beginning of the game that can allow you to spring board further.

In duels, overloading is usually a death sentence because of missiles.

Edit 2: Still testing this out some. I am not exactly sure what it is, and I've never noticed it before now, but it seems like when I take damage while I am overheating, I just stay overheating for longer. It's perpetual especially when fighting multiple frigates like you suggested I should be fine against. It's not the PDs that are pushing me over, it's my failure to gauge the flux of the dual chainguns when I am using the acc. ammo feeder. Again, my fault, I own it, yes. But being perpetually stunned is strange to say the least. I cannot catch fleeing frigates, so I don't see the point. I won the fight, sure, but then lost all my supplies in the process and lost all the cargo I had won trying to crawl back to a station. I am now at a net loss and cannot afford to pay my crew and enough supplies to continue operating. Oh no wait I was wrong, I have nothing for repairs either, let alone operation. I am stuck at 0% CR. Oh hell, and again being scanned or cargo as soon as I start the game makes this even more difficult. Not SS+'s fault, I know. Again, I'm not meaning to complain, but f***, what am I doing wrong?And what am I supposed to be doing?..

Overload timers are not affected by the amount of damage you take after the overload starts, only the amount of damage that triggers the overload in the first place.  There's a timer in the buffs/debuffs list on the left side of the screen.

Also, generally, if you are completely ruined, it's best to just restart or die and respawn in a fresh ship.

Edit 3: Clearly the hammerhead is not buffed if, when trying to run from the hegemony's initial scan just to see if I can do something different, THEIR OWN hammerhead is catching up to me while firing all of its guns while I am trying to maintain 0% flux speed and unable to escape it. Okay, so I restarted on the same path again but this time as a Tachyon corporate member. I chose to start with a ship upgrade, so that is the tempest.. I start with a tempest... In Corvus. The Hegemony is inhospitable to me... The fleet adjacent to me immediately attacks me........

Nav points plus augmented engines make for fast pursuers indeed.

Also, inhospitable isn't enough to launch an attack.  If you've got a Tempest, you should be able to solo most small-to-mid-sized pirate fleets.  Even then, you should be able to easily outrun anything with your burn 8 speedster.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 02, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I apologize for venting, it is just frustrating to see how poor I am at the game considering the amount of time I spend on it and the forums.

I tried different things just to find a setting without cheating that suits me. I started with an Afflictor class and said hey, this is pretty OP technology for an independent bounty hunter to have, but what ever, it seems cool, the bursty damage is my style. First combat I go into is against a torch frigate, the broadside one. It has anti-armor weapons. I am unable to get close enough to use my bursty energy weapons without taking damage from the HE guns. I die in two waves of bullets. I know you have important things to do, and I'm not asking for anything, but perhaps you might just want to ask others about the possibilities of the starting options. I'm just at a loss now, and don't know what to do. I might even just go back to f***ing around in the EVE TC.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:35:06 PM by TartarusMkII »

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 02, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

Astrals: size-4 or higher high-stability tri-tachyon or independent worlds, particularly military markets.  Better odds than vanilla, but still, good luck.

On that note, how does one increase the stability of a world? Tri-Tachyon only seems to have the one military post in Magec, so I assume beefing it up would be the best way to get fancy hulls. This system feels way too complex to just dump a load of wares into it to cause a stability increase though; I haven't even figured out how to trade profitably without events.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »

Can we get a skill that boost our ability to pilot a carrier? similar to that hull mod, all refit is 50% faster, and 50% or 80% chance refit donst take up chassis, etcetc
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:49:39 AM by Linnis »

KvaNTy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 03, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »

Can we get a skill that boost our ability to pilot a carrier? similar to that hull mod, all refit is 50% faster, and 50% or 80% chance refit donst take up chassis, etcetc
Isn't that too much? In such case single carrier with 3 decks and 3-4 Templar's Teuton bombers would be like "Win-button".

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #614 on: December 03, 2014, 04:18:12 AM »

Sneak Peek
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 197