Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325130 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.6
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »

Crusades are not a SS+ feature.  I have no idea why your RAM requirements are so massive.  Even the worst case apocalyptic freak event of crusades spawning 100+ fleets (the average is more like 30 at any given time in a crusade) doesn't even double the vanilla number of fleets.

What is your mod list?

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2014, 01:41:45 AM »

Something does appear to be some save game bloat. I have two save games from the same playthough, six hours apart, and the second one is 60% larger than the first. Using a compare plug-in in notepad++, I deduced that the majority of the increase in size can be attributed to ship/fleet data (ships, equipment on said ships, commanders, etc). I don't know if this is normal for vanilla SS+ games or not... though I expect the Knights Templar crusade events are causing it since they cause defence fleets to spawn.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2014, 02:02:48 AM »

The crusade event only spawns maybe an extra quarter of the usual number of fleets.  If this is an issue, it's intrinsic to SS+ and would happen no matter which mods you used.  The core feature (randomized fleets/variants) is the culprit.  The only fix I can do is remove most of what makes Starsector+, well, Starsector+.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »

If this is an issue, it's intrinsic to SS+ and would happen no matter which mods you used.
From personal experience, I was able to run SS+ 2.0.3 with Shadowyards, Mayorate and Citadel with 2048 megs allocated in vparams. SS+ 2.0.5 with the same mods plus Templars refused to load a savegame (to a point of outright crashing my PC) until I upped memory allocation in vparams to 5 gigs.

If the memory issue is indeed mainly based within SS+ itself, then it means that rather minor gameplay changes between SS+ 2.0.3 and SS+ 2.0.5 (and 2.0.6) led to SS+ eating up x2,5 times more memory. I don't exactly feel that changes between 2.0.3 and 2.0.5 are "what makes Starsector+, well, Starsector+", it rather looks like 1% of what makes SS+ costs 250% of memory consumption increase.

I know you're by no means obliged to, but it would be really neat if you'll look at this issue from this point of view and, hopefully, curb down memory consumption of SS+ back to where it was at 2.0.3 or so.

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 17, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »

I'm having quite a bit of fun with this mod, even in it's current state. Got all the diff. races in. So it's an active region of space! I do like the in system tradings. Helps build/rebuild faction rep.

mix this mod and all it's current races with the Tradewind mod. I'm having a good 'ol time!

I can now fully trade, scavenge, bounty hunt, scavenge, even pirate, and scavenge!

I just LOVE the Imperium's F-Class freighters. Helps for a lean fast trade fleet. Either quickly hit those debris fields, or quickly take advantage of trade disruptions.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »

Okay, there really is something VERY strange going on.

Remember that save game I mentioned that increased 60%?

I doubled my game's available RAM to 8GB and tried loading it this morning. Then I played 15 minutes, saved again, and checked the save size.

It shrunk down to slightly smaller than it was before the 60% increase.

Original: 80 MB (~6 hours ago)
Second: 140 MB (~15 mins ago)
Third: 76 MB (Just now)

These are all saves from the same playthrough at different points on the timeline. I've uploaded all three to a zip file for you or anyone else that cares to examine them in detail and perhaps try to debug what's causing this very odd issue. I hope it helps. I'm using all the SS+ compatible mods plus the ICE mod.

https://mega.co.nz/#!8EAGibab!ESsNNpf9Zl-0D4n_kOMi7dyb5s0L81eqzxEEn7Ll4fc

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:30:50 AM by Regularity »

Spenz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 17, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »

I will admit my mod list is....full.

I have all of the SS+ supported factions plus SCY which is unsupported (culprit?).  The crusade was occurring in Gigas, with 1 Shadowyards heavy fleet, 1 Hegemony Heavy fleet, 1 heavy Templar fleet and 2 small Templar fleets plus my own (5 ships including a newly-captured Crusader).

I have never ever had any issues with StarSector with 4gb allocated (even back in the days of 20 races).  Even now, with SS+, 0.65.1a, and my current mod setup, the game would never go beyond 3 gb of usage, with an average of 1.6 gb, up until that save at least.

Personally I just don't understand it.  Guess its time to start a new game. :(

Edit: I can see about uploading the save itself if it would help.  I actually took a look at it in Notepad++ and the save file itself is a whopping 122 megabytes!  It even lagged Notepad++.  My average unzipped save file size is 84 megabytes even at level 40, so I have no clue what happened.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 11:15:08 AM by Spenz »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 17, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

The Starsector log is always added onto instead of overwritten - remember to delete them every now and then, including the .bak versions of the Starsector log.  They can get massive, and I find that they slow down my game if I let it get too big sometimes.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

LB

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 17, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »

Regarding some savegames becoming unloadable due to memory constraints: turning off savegame compression seems to make some level of difference, although I haven't investigated in detail. I've been able to maintain usable savefiles into level >45 in crowded systems where it was previously impossible, but it could be a fluke.

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 18, 2014, 05:41:13 AM »

If this is an issue, it's intrinsic to SS+ and would happen no matter which mods you used.
From personal experience, I was able to run SS+ 2.0.3 with Shadowyards, Mayorate and Citadel with 2048 megs allocated in vparams. SS+ 2.0.5 with the same mods plus Templars refused to load a savegame (to a point of outright crashing my PC) until I upped memory allocation in vparams to 5 gigs.

If the memory issue is indeed mainly based within SS+ itself, then it means that rather minor gameplay changes between SS+ 2.0.3 and SS+ 2.0.5 (and 2.0.6) led to SS+ eating up x2,5 times more memory. I don't exactly feel that changes between 2.0.3 and 2.0.5 are "what makes Starsector+, well, Starsector+", it rather looks like 1% of what makes SS+ costs 250% of memory consumption increase.

I know you're by no means obliged to, but it would be really neat if you'll look at this issue from this point of view and, hopefully, curb down memory consumption of SS+ back to where it was at 2.0.3 or so.

I'm getting the same problem as everyone else. Can't load my save anymore. I get a Java crash error.

I updated to Java 8u25 64bit, from 7u51 32bit. Still getting a crash.

These are the mods I'm using, all updated to the latest version:

Lazylib
Shaderlib
Starsector +
Imperium
Mayorate
Templars

Is there a reason why I can't get the launcher to start if I change anything in vparams?

I tried
1024 / 2048
2048 / 2048
2048 / 4096
4096 / 4096

The game won't start, just when my fleet was starting to kick ass :(

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2014, 06:01:31 AM »

I have not come across this issue.

Mem. set to 1g-2g. what I do though is when I start starsector, I go to taskmanager and set the java to high priority.

I've played several games several hours in, and maybe a small hickup during a loaded game.

Mod list:
SS+
Lazy
shader
all compatible races
tradewinds
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:09:36 AM by frogbones »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »

Cromodus, do you have save compression turned on? I think it has corrupted many people's save files. Sorry :(

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #492 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »

Is there a reason why I can't get the launcher to start if I change anything in vparams?

I tried
1024 / 2048
2048 / 2048
2048 / 4096
4096 / 4096

At a guess:

2) The Java heap space requires a contiguous block of memory, so if Starsector won't start after raising the value, try things like closing browser windows to free up RAM.

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 18, 2014, 07:49:28 AM »

Cromodus, do you have save compression turned on? I think it has corrupted many people's save files. Sorry :(

I haven't really tweaked anything besides the RAM allocation. How do I change this?

I tried
1024 / 2048
2048 / 2048
2048 / 4096
4096 / 4096

At a guess:

2) The Java heap space requires a contiguous block of memory, so if Starsector won't start after raising the value, try things like closing browser windows to free up RAM.

Yeesh! That's as rickety as it gets. Ok I'll try straight after booting.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »

Just as a note, the first number is the memory size allocated to Java at startup and the second is the maximum Java's allowed to inflate up to. If you aren't expecting other applications to need memory while you play I don't see much reasoning for not matching the numbers; may as well not give it reason to break while it tries to expand its memory footprint while running.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 197