Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1325212 times)

Conjaq

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod 2.0.6
« Reply #465 on: November 15, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »

Hey! I love this mod, and me recently discovering this game, has made me lost many hours ;-)

I did found one issue, that bugs me a lot... And that is bounty hunting.
First of all, it seems all the added factions, do not list any named bounties on criminals/pirates. Why is that?

And secondly many times the fleets in the system usually get to kill the named pirate, before I even get to them... Is there anything I can do against that?

I also seem to miss a list of where and what ships spawn at each faction, so far it seems that the tri-tachyons has the most advanced hulls,  but I don't know if that holds any truth.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »

And secondly many times the fleets in the system usually get to kill the named pirate, before I even get to them... Is there anything I can do against that?
Most bounties "hide" near gas giants so you can use the hyperspace portal for them to down in on the bounty before others can get to it
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2014, 06:23:12 PM »

I also seem to miss a list of where and what ships spawn at each faction, so far it seems that the tri-tachyons has the most advanced hulls,  but I don't know if that holds any truth.

If you're using the Knights Templar add-on, it may be the culprit. It's buggy and tends to cause the AI to spawn upwards of 5 times the normal number of fleets.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »

I also seem to miss a list of where and what ships spawn at each faction, so far it seems that the tri-tachyons has the most advanced hulls,  but I don't know if that holds any truth.

If you're using the Knights Templar add-on, it may be the culprit. It's buggy and tends to cause the AI to spawn upwards of 5 times the normal number of fleets.

That's the 'crusade' event from KT firing (by default, every ~90 in-game days).

Everyone (vanilla and SS+ 'integrated' factions, anyways) spawns a whole lot more fleets in response to the KT sending out their forces on a rampage to a specified system (the Intel tab says specifically which system is targeted by the KT).

It got to the point to where I had to reduce a setting from the KT mod's settings.json ("crusadeScale") to something like '0.1', and/or else set the frequency of said event to 360 days ("crusadeAverageFrequency":360), to allow my saves to successfully load past say, 4-5 months of in-game time.

Alex has hinted that a fix to halve the required memory for loading saves is in the works for v0.65.2a when it comes out, but fundamentally... compared to earlier versions, 32-bit end-users can't expect to load up a ton of mods with few consequences like we used to.

The long-term solution is switching to a 64-bit operating system+64-bit Java; not that much of an issue (albeit a bit time-consuming) for users without that much older software/games/customized settings on their current setup, but for those like me, who have quite a few older/legacy apps that will plain just not work on a 64-bit OS, without going through the hassle of learning to setup and run a virtual machine for 32-bit compatibility?

That's a problem. And will eventually be resolved by going into a dual-boot setup, with the older stuff on a 2nd drive. Don't have the free time or money to go through with it for quite a while, though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:47:03 PM by TimeDiver »

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »

Do the defence fleets at least despawn eventually? Or do they persist until destroyed?

pjz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 15, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »

The Wing Command skill (fighters get bonus speed per level) seems to apply a penalty to speed instead of a bonus.  The more you take, the slower they go! 

That's been fixed in the recent versions.

Thanks, I had 2.0.2 apparently.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #471 on: November 15, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »

Do the defence fleets at least despawn eventually? Or do they persist until destroyed?

They leave and despawn when the crusade is over.

By the way, some mods do post bounties, if they set it up right.  The Interstellar Imperium will post named bounties, for instance.

CrusadeAverageFrequency is the time from one crusade ending to the other starting to be planned, so 360 day frequency really means it's more like 450 days between crusade messages.  By default it's about 6 months between crusade messages.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 07:25:45 PM by Dark.Revenant »

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 15, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

Hmm, I seem to be coming up with some graphics issues using SS+ and the new version of Shaderlib (v1.01). Everytime I hit an enemy with a weapon thats not a beam - So far I've only tested the Pulse Laser, although this effect also pops up when I disable an enemy ship - I get this draggy, Internet-Explorer-Has-Crashed looking thing.

http://imgur.com/sU7S26f,V9RGZib

Doesnt seem to occur when using only Shaderlib, and this is without any other mods active besides Lazylib.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »

This is usually caused by a video card incapable of supporting the frame buffer distortion effects in ShaderLib.  You probably have an integrated card, or at least Starsector is using your integrated card.

You should set enableDistortion in shaderSettings.json to "false" to disable these effects.

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »

Aha, I was wondering why this never occurred when I wasnt using the .bat file. Its just that recently all the mods have come out, so I'm forced to use 64bit java or else my computer doesnt let me allocate enough memory.

Alright, got it, thanks.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »

Minor balancing suggestion: Consider upping the fuel tank size of the vanilla Starsector tanker-class ships (or maybe making duplicate versions with the (XL) tag). Due to the doubled fuel consumption, dedicated tankers seem (to me, at least) of dubious usefulness given they effectively carry half the fuel now, but still increase your fuel consumption rate. Instead I always find myself just using multirole ships to carry extra fuel, like logistics ships, carriers, cargo freighters, since they have more utility than just hauling fuel alone.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #476 on: November 16, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »

Minor balancing suggestion: Consider upping the fuel tank size of the vanilla Starsector tanker-class ships (or maybe making duplicate versions with the (XL) tag). Due to the doubled fuel consumption, dedicated tankers seem (to me, at least) of dubious usefulness given they effectively carry half the fuel now, but still increase your fuel consumption rate. Instead I always find myself just using multirole ships to carry extra fuel, like logistics ships, carriers, cargo freighters, since they have more utility than just hauling fuel alone.

Even if I agreed, that is not an option.  I cannot make a change that modded factions cannot possibly match.  Increased fuel reserves is one of those changes.

Tankers still have the same amount of fuel proportional to vanilla ships; your range increases in exactly the same manner.  The space between stars is just effectively doubled; that's all it does.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »

Okay, you make a fair point. Maybe it's just the way I end up playing; I usually have a few loot-hauling freighters with me so always have excess fuel capacity. I guess tankers are just very niche ships.

Spenz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

Ok so I have just encountered something really....not good in this mod.  Now I know crusades tax the game a lot, but something has happened to one of my saves that is just ugly.

So I made the mistake of saving in a system with a crusade currently going on.  Nothing too big.  3 Templar fleets and almost no defenses left.  Just me and maybe 2 full defense fleets.  Anyways I quit the game to do something else, and when I came back to the save, it starts freezing and thrashing.  The very signs that Starsector has run out of RAM.  How could that be though?  I had set vmparams to -4096 (I have x64 Java).

Anyways  I set Starsector to use -5120, but it STILL only goes about 45% up the loading bar.  If that is the case, it is going to take at least 12+ GB of RAM to load this save.  

Before anyone asks,  everything is up to date.  Starsector is .65.1a, and ALL the settings in my game are stock with the exception of turning bloom off in the shaderlib settings.  If this is what could happen with a normal client, isn't that a huge problem, especially considering the...lack of fleet activity in the system I saved my game in?

This can't be normal.

Edit: Yep client froze at 45% loading the save with a RAM use of 5,788,252k.  Im going to try and load the save on another computer I have that has Starsector, one with 16 gigs of RAM.  I will see if 12 actually loads it but that is completely ridiculous for a Java game.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 08:57:09 PM by Spenz »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 17, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »

I haven't had that problem with Crusade saves. I also use additional faction mods, SCY and the three from Junk Pirates, with all the SSP compatible Factions. I have 8GB of RAM. Although I do have vmparams set to 6g.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 197