Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] ICE Faction  (Read 135097 times)

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] ICE Faction
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2014, 09:54:33 PM »

Thanks for letting us know- out of curiosity, may I ask what (in-game) causes these crashes?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:26 PM »

The first crash is caused by the Phase Jaunt ship system as zoe_zucchini pointed out, which means both of the ships that have that system (Abraxas and Nightseer) will crash the game any time they're fielded. Worse yet, both ships appear on the title screen. Luckily this is very easy to fix.

I don't know what causes the second crash. It happens in the fighter AI code of the core game, which is obfuscated, meaning I can't read it without a great deal of effort. If I knew the cause of this crash I'd probably be able to fix it easily, but figuring that out would involve watching hours of battles trying to identify a pattern.

If you're considering playing with ICE enabled I would recommend against it. Starsector is expected to update in a matter of days (but no promises), and the next version of ICE will break saves in order to improve the recall teleporter anyway.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »

I was actually going to ask you about that. I was having memory limit issues, and searched google to find an update for my .bat file that seems to have stopped working after 6.5a, and people are saying a lot that the game is simply dead. That's it's been a whole year since an update (prior to this current one), etc.

What do you think about the dev-cycle? Is it too long? I know for modders, frequent updates can be a pain. But has it really been a year? Thanks.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2014, 12:21:18 AM »

Well, I fell into the trap of posting in the last thread about the subject. So there's that. It really has been a year, but I don't think that's such a big deal given what Alex has accomplished in that time. As for the dev cycle, I'll take large, yearly, playable updates over small, monthly, broken updates every time.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2014, 12:28:51 AM »

I mean, I can understand, I just hope these "hotfixes" don't come out cold =(

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »

Oh, is that what you're worried about? I don't think there's any real chance of the next update taking more than a week or two.

Malone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2014, 01:57:50 AM »

Hello,

Can I run ICE mod with Scy mod simultaneously ?

oorek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2014, 04:23:59 AM »

Really unique ships as far as the way they fight. This mod is great.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »

Thanks oorek  :)

@Malone: ICE should work just as well with SCY as without. To be honest, though, I'm not sure it works all that well to begin with at the moment, which is why the current download in the OP is for 0.6.2 instead of 0.65. I'm testing right now to see if something I thought was an issue actually wasn't.

Edit: Nope. Wasn't a fluke. There's a crash that happens sometimes during battles that involve ICE ships. It won't be fixed until Starsector updates, so I would recommend not running ICE until this issue is fixed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:10:28 PM by Sundog »

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 02, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »

*cries and puts the pretty ICE ships back into the cardboard box, wiping snot from his face*

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 02, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »

Heh, don't dispair, Tartarus. It shouldn't be long before Starsector updates with the needed fix. The next version of ICE already has several improvements over 0.2.0 anyway, especially when it comes to the campaign  :)

Malone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2014, 04:18:49 AM »

@Malone: ICE should work just as well with SCY as without. To be honest, though, I'm not sure it works all that well to begin with at the moment, which is why the current download in the OP is for 0.6.2 instead of 0.65. I'm testing right now to see if something I thought was an issue actually wasn't.

Well I tried 2 times, I am always able to start a new game with both, but after some play time, the save file is corrupted and I cannot load it anymore.
Not sure if it's linked with ICE itself or the combination of the 2 mods though.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2014, 04:25:45 AM »

Well I tried 2 times, I am always able to start a new game with both, but after some play time, the save file is corrupted and I cannot load it anymore.
Not sure if it's linked with ICE itself or the combination of the 2 mods though.

The SCY mod itself has had some hot fixes in the past couple of days. Check to see if your version of it is up to date. As for the symptom itself, I am unsure.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2014, 04:49:12 AM »

Did you increased the memory allowed to the game? Because they work fine on my end. Scy is very hungry for ram because of all decoratives and animations, and Ice isn't small either. 2Go might no be enough to load them if you don't restart the game. For info, I'm using all up to date mods and it require 4Go to load a save without closing the game. (And I'm using a version of Scy where I started some cleanup to reduce the memory footprint)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:59:33 AM by Tartiflette »

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2014, 04:51:30 AM »

And if you do need to know how to give Java more memory to use, consult this thread:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8573.msg145211#msg145211
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19