Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] ICE Faction  (Read 134970 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ICE Faction (WIP)
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I've fixed a lot of that stuff and have plans to fix most of the rest of it.
-AI for the Pentagram and Kelpie will be greatly improved and they'll have a new ship system to complement their in-your-face-ness.
-I doubt AI for the Athame will ever be good enough for the player to trust it. It's designed only to be useful against larger ships, but I haven't managed to get it to ignore fighters and frigates.
-I think I'll get rid of the charge-up on the flamebolt (the Specter's main gun). Eventually ICE will have a few more methods of regenerating ammo than just the Eidolon, so wasting ammo hopefully won't be so painful.
-Mobius ray will be nerfed.
-Many new weapons are planned, but I won't work on those until after the next update. Most of them will be difficult to make.
-I haven't settled on where to put the system yet. I might bring it closer to Corvus. We'll see.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »

You know I just realized as I looked at these ships....Is there any reference to Supreme Commander Forge Alliance per Chane? You stuff is just great!
Spoiler

[close]

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 12:31:30 AM »

Thank you kindly  :)

Is there any reference to Supreme Commander Forge Alliance per Chane?
Not a bit. This is the first I've heard of that game. To be fair though, the whole thing with white armor plates covering dark, mechanical internals is pretty common. I've always been a fan of it.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 02:27:56 AM »

Thank you kindly  :)

Is there any reference to Supreme Commander Forge Alliance per Chane?
Not a bit. This is the first I've heard of that game. To be fair though, the whole thing with white armor plates covering dark, mechanical internals is pretty common. I've always been a fan of it.

You should give it a shot then, SupCom is an absolutely awesome game.

Have you ever played Total Annihilation? SupCom is it's spiritual successor but stay away from SupCom 2, it sucks because the studio tried to make it more mainstream and failed horribly.

Planetary Annihilation is also an upcoming game of that kind, another try to get the feeling of the original Total Annihilation.

PS: Be sure to have some rather good hardware in order to play it, SupCom is quite taxing even on modern machines at least if you make use of the full unit cap which is somewhere like 1000 units per player or so.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:30:22 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 02:48:39 AM »

Hmm. I'll look into it, but I haven't really enjoyed an RTS in almost a decade. The wikipedia article on SupCom says it has a some interesting features though. I'll have to watch some gameplay at some point.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2014, 03:17:34 AM »

Then you've never seen SupCom in action.

What makes it completely different from any other RTS is the sheer amount of possibilities in regards of warfare.

You can play clasical all-out tank rush stompy stuff but not many RTS let you engage in technological warfare like SupCom does.

Through intelligence it is possible to completely fool around with your opponent playing with guerilla tactics or surgical artillery strikes depending a little bit on the faction you play.

No other RTS ever has done such stuff before, except for Total Annihilation.

I mostly enjoy playing the Packman:

Heavy tier 3 assault bots carried by the largest troop transport VTOL in game and lots of them, somewhere around 150 to 300 of them.

I call it Packman because the huge flying blob carrying the bots looks like a massive Packman flying around the map.

But there's other stuff as well:

Experimental stealth generators, personal teleporters, submarine carriers, nukes, anti-nukes and so on.

Opposed to most other RTS it's more similar to "Cold War", an armsrace of the factions trying to outwit or out-tech the others by clever sceeming and planing ahead.

In short, it is the complete opposite to RTS like Starcraft or C&C.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »

Well that's a pretty convincing recommendation, and at 75% off on steam? Sold. I'll let you know what I think of it once I've tried it out.

legion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Total Annihilation Papercraft
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2014, 04:56:53 AM »

Except it has one huge drawback: lower tier units are obsolete as soon as you or your opponents upgrade. A single tier 2 defense cannon can maul a group of 100 tier one tanks, without them even coming into range to fire at it!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »

Updated. This update was mostly about addressing various issues, so there's not much new content. Please let me know about any issues you encounter or suggestions you have  :)

Edit: Found here

Change log:
Spoiler
Major Changes
- Custom sounds by Cycerin
- Considerable AI improvements
- Major changes to the Nightseer
- The Kelpie and Pentagram have been reworked with a new ship system that briefly inverts armor damage
- Armor Repair Nanites ship system has been reworked
- Munitions Auto-Fac hullmod added. Slowly refills ammo.

Fixes
- Second stage warhead of Boomerang missiles can now be shot down
- Idoneus Citadel now sells ICE weapons
- Idoneus Citadel now regenerates cargo and ships
- Fixed bug that caused the Kelpie to teleport off the map on rare occasions
- Eidolon now has two launch bays, as was the original intention

Balance adjustments
= Heavy armor replaced with Reinforced bulkheads on Athame standard variant
- Athame ordnance points reduced from 30 to 25
- Mobeus Ray:
   - Range reduced from 1000 to 800
   - Flux per shot increased from 50 to 60
   - Ordnance point requirement increased from 20 to 25
- Hex AC and Light Hex AC damage per shot reduced from 40 to 35
- Phase Warp:
   - Cooldown increased from 0.5 to 1
   - Speed boost decreased from 300 to 250
   + Acceleration boost doubled
- Reduced armor for many ships
- The two medium and two small universal turrets on the Voidreaver changed to ballistic
= ICE Phase Cloak (not to be confused with Phase Warp) now increases max speed by 100 and reduces acceleration by 80%
+ Increased effectivness of Graviton Deflector hullmod
+ Kelpie Cruiser got it's phase cloak back now that it can use it without acting completely potato
= Many other adjustments that I've forgoten about
= Armor Repair Ninites
   = Flux generation starts at 50% of base dissipation and increases to 300% over 3 seconds
   = Having soft flux reverses the abovementioned flux generation multiplier
   = Repaired armor is proportional to the amount of flux generated

AI
- AI for melee ships greatly improved
- AI usage of Hypermass Driver greatly improved
- AI now takes advantage of phase cloak speed boosts during travel
- Mobeus autofire won't fire as often

Sound
- Awesome sound effects added courtesy of Cycerin
   - Phase Warp defensive ability
   - Weapons: Mobues Ray, Hex AC, and Light Hex AC.

Visual
- Pulsing lights now fade during phase cloak/warp activation and return once the cooldown is over
- Armor repair sparks are now yellow instead of teal
- Armor repair animations improved, opacity now scales with effect
- Adjusted turret offset for Hex AC
[close]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:59:46 PM by Sundog »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2014, 03:04:43 AM »

The Abraxas class Battlecruiser.

See that 'U' shaped section in the center? Unless you can level thousands of DPS on this thing the only way to damage it is to hit that central U. Every other part of the ship will passively regenerate armor fast enough to protect the hull from almost anything. This ship will have an unconventional, narrow, frontal shield to protect its weak point, but a well placed shot directly from behind can still hit it. As well as being a weak point, the central 'U' is a built-in weapon that forces shields to close. However, it also forces the Abraxas to close its own shield while active. The Abraxas' phase cloak will have a long cooldown and short duration, as well taking a while to warm up, but it will provide enough of a speed boost to allow it to travel a good distance before leaving phase.

I've been pretty lazy lately, but I've still been working on ICE every once in a while. It should be a while before the next update though. I'm planning to add something like ten ships  :-\

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2014, 03:23:52 AM »

Well that seems absolutely terrifying. And fun. Seems like the AI would have troubles fighting it, as it wouldn't know that it needs to attack straight from in front or behind. At least it always aims for the center of mass.
Is it going to have very low hull points or something, to compensate? Seems like in most cases, the only way it'll die is to lucky shots (until a player comes over and figures it out).

Also, it should duel a Desdinova. See who's spinal cannon wins.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »

Umm, it's not the Desidnova, it's the Nevermore.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »

That's going to be so *** sweet.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:12 AM »

Umm, it's not the Desidnova, it's the Nevermore.
Erm. Yes. Thank you.  :-X
AHH HOW DID I MESS THAT UP

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »

This new monster will be painful for the AI.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19