Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Loading Anomaly, Crash  (Read 5132 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
[0.6.2a] Loading Anomaly, Crash
« on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:17 PM »

These two may be related since they occurred one after the other. Maybe entirely not. I'm no programmer. ;D

I'm not sure if it happens every time in these circumstances, but I've had it occur in previous versions. Get into combat and cause the enemy to retreat (in this case, my Lasher took the armor off a Buffalo and a Lasher but the battlescape was too small for me to catch them as they ran). Harry their retreat, then pursue. Get your butt handed to you (damn Buffalos and their ability to fire a massive volley backwards) and decide instead of trying to hobble away in your crippled frigate, you want to reload. ESC, exit to main menu, load saved game. Upon loading you will be taken to the combat results screen as if the enemy fleet you just loaded away from had actually managed to reach the top of the battlescape and burn away. You can interact with all the options, however when the window closes your fleet is right where you left it upon saving.

After all that, I decided to head toward the pirate base. Swung around a couple fleets in a daring chicane, clicked the base for the last inbound leg, and...
Code
2706335 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Finished loading
2736610 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMemberStatus$ShipStatus.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMemberStatus.updateFromAutoresolveData(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.oooO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.AccidentManager.ôÒO000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.A.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.new.super.float$super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Note this came shortly after a new Easy start, so I had the combat freighter, had swapped a few weapons on the Lasher, and gone up one level. Otherwise brand new.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Loading Anomaly, Crash
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:32:43 AM »

It seems to be an issue in something going on in my game, as it happens soon after loading this save each time. I'm going to archive it in case you need a copy then :nuke everything: and fresh install.
Code
186340 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Finished loading
229461 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 2
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMemberStatus$ShipStatus.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.FleetMemberStatus.updateFromAutoresolveData(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.accidents.AccidentManager.ôÒO000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.A.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.new.super.float$super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.A.oOOO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

EDIT: I haven't had a crash since completely deleting the game's folder for a completely clean install. It seems pretty stable now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:50:06 AM by OOZ662 »
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »

tried clean install... stilling seeing this crash

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:43 AM »

Yep, just had it happen again myself. Certainly took much, much longer this time, but that's how randomness works. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »

Thanks for the detailed report! Could you mail me  copy of the save where it happens, and letting me know as specifically as you can how long to wait/how to reproduce it/etc? (fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com) That would really help.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »

It's on its way.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »

Thanks a lot - having the save really helped to track it down and fix it.

(The game was erroneously creating a 0x0 armor grid in some relatively rare circumstances, and trying to access it was causing the crash. The fix is twofold - it will no longer create a grid like that, but will also recover if there's such a grid already in the save.)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

Means the loading to combat screen thing is separate then. It doesn't seem to cause crashes at least.

Always glad to help. :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »

Means the loading to combat screen thing is separate then. It doesn't seem to cause crashes at least.

Quick question about that: are you running in devMode, by chance?

Edit: never mind, I think I see. Was misreading what you wrote - it's exit to main menu right from combat. Ok, let me see here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:09:12 AM by Alex »

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »

Quick question about that: are you running in devMode, by chance?

Nope. Heck, I even forgot where to find the settings file to turn my save compression back on. ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:20 AM »

Fixed!

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

What a day! 8)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »

The post-release pre-hotfix period is always FUN. DF-style.