Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alex - you could be rich if you did this  (Read 5414 times)

Typo91

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Alex - you could be rich if you did this
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:47:50 AM »

Alex, I want you to think about this.

Right now there is a game called "Vega Conflict" that has a lot of features like this game, only when it comes to the details of ship combat and ship customization your game is light years ahead.

Currently those people that made "Vega Conflict" are raking in 7 figures, simply because of the MMO aspect and how they set up the game (they basically are using the "Farmville" model)

What I want you to consider.  Is probably a serious undertaking but if you pulled it off, you would have the best MMO/RTS/Spacesim in the world.

You would be rich, you would have all the money you ever wanted, and then some.

If you could look at "Vega Conflict" and see how they did the game, and use that as a model, for the multi-player aspect of your game, you can far surpass them with what you have now.

Your game has everything Vega Conflict is missing

If you had MMO, some base building, your game could surpass Minecraft.

I can't say I agree with the "Farmville" model, but unfortunately it would probably be the most profitable for you, however you could chose to have premium subscription features, sometimes a little money from a lot of people is better then a lot from a few.

I am so sure that if this could be done, and done using your current game as the platform, that if you choose to do it, and if you think you can do it.  If there are parts you think you might need help on, maybe we can talk to some other coders and see.

I will fund the development.

We can talk money via email and phone if you want, message me if you are interested.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alex - you could be rich if you did this
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 04:09:06 AM »

You do know that this game do not have multi-player aspect right?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:46 AM »

What you talking about man? Farmville is amazing!

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:18 AM »

I think all this game needs is more polishing and a steam green light/early access.
Right now it's lurking in the shadows of the internet, taking its time, waiting to strike.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:44 AM »

Indeed! I own more cows than any real farmer i know of!

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:38 AM »

I wholeheartedly endorse this, as I too conduct all my professional business proposals via pseudonymous forum posts.
-Sir Alan Sugar
-Talkie Toaster

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »

What Network Pesci said.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »

The Troll is strong with this one
Its always a good day to die

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

seems legit
mmm.... tartiflette

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 06:14:48 PM »

@Typo91

And can you fund the rest of the development of Starsector too? Perhaps enough to bring on a few more devs to finish it this year?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »

Typo91 > Your princess is in another castle. Plus, what you're proposing is so outlandish and unconstructive that instead of doing that Alex could just work on the game as is and maybe even finish it. Also, you, fund development. Right. Aside from the above 'conducting business via forums' when the sums of 50-100k USD minimum are involved, i assume that contract will also self-serve you. So how about no. We have a saying in my country, "why wrap your head in bandages if it doesn't hurt".

It's obvious this is a work of care and passion, since i doubt the 10 or 15$ that SS is going for now actually pays any of the dev team's bills. So i think all of us here are of one mind to support this project to completion or for as long as the dev team is willing to pour man hours into it, but very few of us would still stick around if Alex did what you're proposing. I wouldn't. There a bazilion games on the DLC/microtransaction market already which i'm not playing.

I want StarFarer Sector.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:21:41 PM by Cosmitz »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »

while the general sentiment is there, alex (claims to have) quit his job to work on the game, so that 10$ ss is going for IS paying his bills.

the game is more successful than one might think
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »

I appreciate the thought behind the offer. But in all honesty, practical issues aside, I have exactly 0 desire to make anything Farmville or MMO-related :) I also don't want to be "funded" by someone (and so, naturally, obligated to cede some amount of control).

while the general sentiment is there, alex (claims to have) quit his job to work on the game, so that 10$ ss is going for IS paying his bills.

the game is more successful than one might think

I have indeed, though I had an odd dream the other day about starting at a new job. It wasn't good. But, ahem, back on topic - yeah, the money coming in from preorders is helping a *lot*. I wouldn't say it's covering all the bills right at the moment, but it's making the drain on my savings manageable instead of terrifying. This is probably a good opportunity to thank everyone that preordered for their support, again :)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »

Just a thought, you don't have to work on it Alex, but you could come to a licensing agreement. For instance:
$1,000 for licensing the engine, granting unlimited usage by the third party, an ongoing subscription fee for updates and support @ $150 per month with a minimum 12 months with a purchase per supported platform (Windows/Linux/Mac) But requires you provide support/assistance and documentation.

Then look at charging $1 per user license sold

Art and sound assets? Difficult to say, but you can negotiate royalties for that.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 11:55:08 PM »

For something like that, I'm pretty sure $1000 is not a very good deal.  

It'd be wiser to license it to a third party, sans content, on a percentage basis, to a party who can prove they have the roughly $100K in seed funding it'd take to even start getting it vaguely MMO-like under the hood, given that the internals are really very much not designed for that, and building that kind of thing is not trivial, and it's not like LWJGL is inherently MP-friendly (or even remotely FB-ready) so far as I can see from its feature list, although one presumes that by now there are some third-party libraries available.  

No support, unless they want to pay reasonable hourly rates ($75 / hr. is reasonable, Alex is a software engineer and that's a reasonable billable rate).

Anything less than that is an utter waste of time, really.  

The proposal is a project for a 3-4 person team for a period of around a year; even if they're young, relatively cheap software engineers in, say, Russia, that's still around $100K, bare minimum, no point in even discussing the project otherwise.  

That's not covering the major refactoring it'd take to the rest of the core of gameplay, in order to make this happen... we're just talking the basics, like setting up a server for backend, transactional systems (so that the game can charge for micro-transactions and make money), UI to hook it into the game's framework in a meaningful way, getting data transmission working well between all those moving parts, getting some sort of server-client or synced client behaviors working, client-matching systems... building a two-player game using the existing AI / Player to create a viable Player / Player control and update cycle, etc., etc., etc.  

We're not talking about the details of Facebook integration, business-case hassles, marketing costs and other challenges, let alone all of the serious work that it would take to make it fun.

Call me a cynic or whatnot, I've spent far too long reading this kind of post on other places and have seen a lot of this kind of behavior before; this just differs in that it's obviously well-meant wishes from a fan of the game with a little extra money in their pockets, rather than the usual clueless-but-greedy persons.  This person wants to help out, basically, and play angel investor.  

That's cool, but if that's the goal, just buy 1000 copies of the game tomorrow, Alex has rent and bills for the next 4 months, the end.

Or better yet, please give your money to me, because I'd love to be able to start making another game on my own again, instead of working on sub-pieces of sub-pieces of games for other people... and I'm not rich, lol.

Beware, friendly fan of this game!  It takes fairly serious money to do much of anything with this kind of thing, let alone get it right and get rich.  Farmville was not created by accident by a couple of random people who just felt like making a game; it was built by people who really knew what they were doing and had good, realistic levels of sponsorship.  

Anyhow, just my $0.02 on this; I understand that the OP means well and is probably a really cool person, I just don't think they understand what they're trying to get into or what it'll really cost.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: [1] 2