Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mod: Naysmyth Armouries and the Council of Independent Republics of Casyris(WIP)  (Read 33608 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

[edit]
Nothing wrong with using MS Paint for groundwork.  :D  In fact, it can be a very effective tool in minute pixel work.

Respectfully that answer is untrue. 'Very effective' infers that it 'Very effective' like GIMP or PhotoShop, MS Paint is comparatively 'ineffective and time wasting'. No person should be using mspaint creating ground work or even pixel work for any reasonable reason.

The only time people use MSPaint for spriting is when they lack the training and experience to use the proper tools. Making any recommendation or suggestion to continue using mspaint is validating an incorrect view that is stymieing the development time and quality of the end result. Why would anyone recommend to another fellow spriter a tool set that will waste their time and prevent them from creating the best sprite they can within their abilities? Really? Why? That's just cruelty.

Yes, very effective in minute pixel work. As in working individual pixels and thus adding or changing details. It is of course comparatively ineffective when going for a lot of the more advanced work, such as shading, recolouring, blurring, anti-aliasing, working with layers, etc. In which case I recommend the programs I listed above (such as Gimp, Photoshop and Corel Draw). And it looks like that's just what Bjørn's planning on doing.  :)  I disagree in that MS Paint should be circumvented in its entirety as it can be a powerful tool in the hands of someone who is talented in its usage. But I suppose we can agree to disagree on that. Though I will agree that one should not stick with MS Paint and should definitely learn to use other tools, which can allow you to make the same quality (or even better) work with considerably less work and time.

I also agree in that it makes a good stepping stone. I haven't tried Paint.NET myself, so I can't recommend it. But if it is anything like Gimp I'd go for it.

...stuff about how MS paint is bad...
Seconded, spriting with MS paint is like building a modern house with nothing more than stone age tools. It's kinda possible, maybe, with a lot of time?
Anyway, it's harder to get a decent result with it than with any other program. So by not learning to use a more complex software, you are in fact increasing the difficulty... Kinda counter-productive when put that way right?

I'm honestly rather surprised. I actually thought you layed some groundwork with MS Paint for your sprites in Scy.  :o Perhaps I came to that conclusion subconsciously because of the angular and sharp look of your designs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:31:59 PM by Erick Doe »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

Erick the one thing about saying that MS Paint is effective for "minute pixel work" is... Every good art program is equal to (or greater) in capabilities in that respect and then so much more. And if your workflow is based on using multiple programs then you lose layer and history data as you work while alternating between them.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Erick the one thing about saying that MS Paint is effective for "minute pixel work" is... Every good art program is equal to (or greater) in capabilities in that respect and then so much more. And if your workflow is based on using multiple programs then you lose layer and history data as you work while alternating between them.

No argument there. That's 100% true. What I am saying is that MS Paint can effectively be used for basic groundwork (and minute pixel work). Yes, most art programs (good ones at least) can also do this. But if someone like Bjørn is comfortable using MS Paint for now, there's no need to step up to a different program, until he is ready and willing to learn how to utilise them. So for now he could stick to MS Paint.

Good point on losing layers though.

Anyway, I think we've hijacked this thread long enough on this topic. Seems Bjørn has been informed plenty on the alternatives.  :)

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile

bjorn if you would like me to continue spriting stuff im going to need a few details about what you want done lol.

edit: actually come to think of it, it would probably be better to communicate via PM. send me one!
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile

good idea! :P I completely forgot about that until now XD We'll talk there.
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile

Bjorn,

Your background info sets a high bar! I hope you keep up the work, this would be a rich addition to the sector.

One minor (nitpicky)  note, on the triple KWK cannon, it weirds me out that there is a hard black line on the base, but the barrels have softer edges... something to think about.

If you still need any help, I can do some minor art and can figure out some coding... Let me know.

Edit:
Also, your .50 Cal MGs are tiny! 1 pixel wide barrels. Looking at the SS wiki, the light machine guns are 2 pixels (4 if you include the outline (I think... it is hard to see that minute detail on my work comp...)) and they are listed as 12.7x50... .50 Cal, if you are going by the BMG style is 12.7x99, something else to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:03:56 PM by ORMtnMan »
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

Yeah, there's a bit of outdated info here. I'm working with CrazyDave to get this mod functional, so at some point this will all get polished! :D

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

Alright! Update time! New front post layout, and FINALLY some ships!
Alfa Class Heavy Frigate. The bear of the AR frigate fleet.

Pchela Class Frigate. A real workhorse.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

Update incoming! I've sent Bjørn the upload link to update the main post, but I've got it right here for you all to mess around with: Download v0.1.4

It's just a mission for now in an untidy jumble of all the 'finished' ships from all the sub-factions. Only a couple of Codex entries right now, and most of the current sprites will be updated and tweaked over time as they aren't perfect. Balancing is still to occur, but at least it's not totally game-breaking right now. More in the works so stay tuned!

Just a note, the Fighter Drone 1s (name's not decided yet) are kinda OP right now, i lowered the armour a bit to try to 'fix' them, but you may wish play without them for balance reasons.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

New look for the front post and a download link! FINALLY!
Thanks go to CrazyDave for his commitment and skill!
In other news, here at Naysmyth, we're officially celebrating the induction of another talented sprite artist - ORMtnMan. Can't wait to show off his skill in the front post.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Nice to see this coming along. One thing I noticed though is that the Verlassigster seems 100% better than the Dual AC. I'm just going by the stats in the refit menu, but it has better range, DPS, flux/second, and costs less OP.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

hey, I've got a new version of this mod ready to go (yeah this mod isnt dead yet believe it or not) but bjorn is apparently hiding in a hole somewhere and hasnt been seen for months. I was wondering if it was possible for me to be 'given' this thread from bjorn by an admin (im not sure if that can be done though) or if not i may have to start up a new thread for myself and probably have this one deleted or something. anyway, ill continue working on the mod while i wait for an answer. cheers!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't think that's possible to "take over" the original thread, you'll have to create another one. Normally you need the authorization from Bjorn to do something like this. If he haven't answered anything in a while, it's better to see with a moderator what can be done.

On the other hand, it's better to let the thread in its current state until you can release a near complete release, with all (or most) of the intended features. I don't think most people would be interested in a mod with only a few frigates or destroyers.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

I don't think that's possible to "take over" the original thread, you'll have to create another one. Normally you need the authorization from Bjorn to do something like this. If he haven't answered anything in a while, it's better to see with a moderator what can be done.

On the other hand, it's better to let the thread in its current state until you can release a near complete release, with all (or most) of the intended features. I don't think most people would be interested in a mod with only a few frigates or destroyers.

okee dokee then, ill start up a new thread. I probably wont repost all of the lore and such but just keep it updated with the new sprites/screenshots etc.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

With questions like these you're better off PMing the moderator team before just jumping the gun.

Has Bjørn given you permission to release new versions of the Naysmyth Armories mod? If he has, then go right ahead. If not, you should ask Bjørn for permission and shouldn't post anything till then.

Who's IP is this? From what I can tell it is Bjørn_in_the_Sector's intellectual property (both faction lore and most of the sprites). That means you'll need his permission to release anything new relating to the Naysmyth Armories and the Council of Independent Republics of Casyris mod.

Please contact Bjørn first, before releasing anything new.

[edit]
Other thread unlocked.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 05:55:30 AM by Erick Doe »
Pages: 1 2 [3]