Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mod: Naysmyth Armouries and the Council of Independent Republics of Casyris(WIP)  (Read 33726 times)

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile

just a heads up, ive been doodling and forming ideas for the launchers all while at school today (yeah WAY more important than year 12 lol) but im heading off to see guardians of the galaxy right now so i probably wont be able to post anything tonight. tomorrow's the weekend though so ill have plenty of time then :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:13:57 AM by CrazyDave »
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I`ve got two unused sprites that I have no purpose for and eager to share for free. Both have .pdf and .png files with all the layers marked for the ease of use/modification/etc.

It's an Hyperion!

Honestly Okim, you should directly post those on the Spiral Arms thread or else people might forget them. Unused work is very handy for those that search inspiration or kitbashing parts.

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

Okay okay, ive been home about an hour and i thought i'd jump on a see what i could smash out.

here are some of my... prototypes shall i say. these are for the Armbrüst MRM missiles/rockets (the blue ones from the second image in the main description).

note: i ONLY have a pink background on these images because parts of the missile rack are clear/see-through. This was just to make it easier to see where i did it (i thought white would blend in too much). I'm not sure if this would look good ingame so it might need to be revised...

-> ->

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile

To Okim: Wow! that's really generous! thank you! This will be really useful - it's the perfect shape for some of the Battleships and Capitals that I've been thinking of making.

To Crazy Dave: That looks really good! My only concern is how it'll look in regard to the rest of the weapons. I'm trying to go for a very boringconsistent colour scheme - mostly white and grey. then again, It could look great! I'll pop it on the frigate I've done, then we'll see.

Speaking of that frigate, I should probably put the frigate in the original mod post...
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

To Okim: Wow! that's really generous! thank you! This will be really useful - it's the perfect shape for some of the Battleships and Capitals that I've been thinking of making.

To Crazy Dave: That looks really good! My only concern is how it'll look in regard to the rest of the weapons. I'm trying to go for a very boringconsistent colour scheme - mostly white and grey. then again, It could look great! I'll pop it on the frigate I've done, then we'll see.

Speaking of that frigate, I should probably put the frigate in the original mod post...

Be careful in using other people's artwork. It can break consistency in style.

Also, what do you mean boring colour scheme?!  >:( ;)

I like your work so far, Bjørn. I like the style, the ideas, the weapons. Unfortunately it all looks a little unpolished. Most likely due to you only working in paint (which can yield amazing results, mind!) but not refining it in a more advanced program, such as Photoshop, Coral Draw or Gimp.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:01:36 AM by Erick Doe »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I cleaned the pink background and yeah, looks interesting, apparently not Bjorn's style but still pretty good. Kinda have an Exigency feels to it.

Why the pink background though? You can have transparency with a PNG file.

By the way Bjorn, while you may now have two ships gifted by Okim, you still need to sprite the rest yourself and it's not sure you'll retain the same style. Using those as inspiration is fine but picking ships here and there will end up screwing you if you can't replicate the same style.

Also to quote Mesotronik's reaction on Skype for your recent submission on the spriter judgement thread:

NO.MS.PAINT.EVER. This should be a bannable offense! Use Gimp!

Edit: Ninja'd!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile

Pink as a background colour is a sound choice, actually. Since it is not often used in the main artwork and yet can create a distinct background, especially if you want to see lighter (white-ish) or darker (black) contours. I imagine he used it as he was working on the weapons and hasn't gotten around to setting it transparent yet.

[edit]
Nothing wrong with using MS Paint for groundwork.  :D  In fact, it can be a very effective tool in minute pixel work.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:05:15 AM by Erick Doe »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

:( but I like paint :( It's so simple and intuitive! Fine... :P

As I said on the judgement thread, I've tried to use gimp in the past, but I've never had any success with it. I simply can't figure out the whole layer business. :(

EDIT: thanks erick :P

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

I cleaned the pink background and yeah, looks interesting, apparently not Bjorn's style but still pretty good. Kinda have an Exigency feels to it.

yup just facepalmed. im such a dummy

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile

well the white + grey colour scheme would have been nice to have known before hand lol. next time ill do something that way!

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

no problem - I forgot that you can't see inside my head and know the colour scheme before you started :P

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile

[edit]
Nothing wrong with using MS Paint for groundwork.  :D  In fact, it can be a very effective tool in minute pixel work.

Respectfully that answer is untrue. 'Very effective' infers that it 'Very effective' like GIMP or PhotoShop, MS Paint is comparatively 'ineffective and time wasting'. No person should be using mspaint creating ground work or even pixel work for any reasonable reason.

The only time people use MSPaint for spriting is when they lack the training and experience to use the proper tools. Making any recommendation or suggestion to continue using mspaint is validating an incorrect view that is stymieing the development time and quality of the end result. Why would anyone recommend to another fellow spriter a tool set that will waste their time and prevent them from creating the best sprite they can within their abilities? Really? Why? That's just cruelty.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

...stuff about how MS paint is bad...
Seconded, spriting with MS paint is like building a modern house with nothing more than stone age tools. It's kinda possible, maybe, with a lot of time?
Anyway, it's harder to get a decent result with it than with any other program. So by not learning to use a more complex software, you are in fact increasing the difficulty... Kinda counter-productive when put that way right?

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile

...stuff about how MS paint is bad...
agreement

look guys, I respect your opinions and all, but my thread isn't really the place for this discussion. I'm only using paint as a stopgap measure. I plan on using GIMP when I understand it, but since it's been a while since I've done anything, I thought that it'd be a good stepping stone. any constructive comments on the art style or the background will be more than appreciated.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

As a side note, Paint.NET is a really nice step up from MS Paint - I still use it for things other than Sprite work.

Regardless, your sprite has a rather nice Exigency feel to it.  That's personally one of my favorite sprite styles, behind Erik Doe's Batavia. :) A bit of black, blue, and a healthy amount of purple and violet.  I think the racks themselves could use some smoothing, make it look a bit curved (if that's your design goal) as if it were cradling the missile.

(be wary though, I'm red-green colorblind, which is especially prevalent on a computer where that's 2 out of the 3 colors used to make all the colors.  I'm probably more colorblind than that, something which I don't think will make me feel any better)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:11:26 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.
Pages: 1 [2] 3