Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: View Target: Bug/WAD?  (Read 1275 times)

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
View Target: Bug/WAD?
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »

Did some searching and couldn't find a thread on this, so here is my question/bug report.  I specifically noticed this in the Vacuum Mod but I'm nearly certain it works in Vanilla.

When an enemy is targeted by the player, and then the player loses sight of the enemy; upon re-entering sight range the targeting lock is still applied.  This means missiles still track, etc.

However, when the player goes into 'follow target view' mode (Z-key) and then the player loses sight, the targeting lock is lost and even upon re-entering sight range it is not applied. 

This is particularly annoying if you are bombarding from a long range using missiles, relying upon allied fighter wings to provide sight, and using Z to gauge effectiveness of your bombardment; but overall it seems that the targeting lock system works differently when it should be the same regardless of what screen you're focused on at the moment of sight loss.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: View Target: Bug/WAD?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

Ah... that was a fix for an issue I encountered earlier that sounds like it needs one more check added; it used to be that if you were firing missiles at extreme range, Z gave lock forever, letting us see and lock stuff we shouldn't have been able to see at all.  Alex fixed that issue; now we at least lose lock if we don't have valid LOS.

Perhaps fighters aren't updating the LOS, or LOS is not being globally tracked while in Z mode, but is just checking vs. the local ship?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: View Target: Bug/WAD?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »

Yeah I'm not sure why it is handled differently, but however it works out I think it should be the same in every case.

Another of those unique fog of war/LOS things (feature?):  If you assign a strike/engage order on an enemy ship, the ship's location is still visible in the tactical map even if it is invisible in the fog of war.  Necessary so strike orders go through, and you could justify it any number of ways (long range scanners have it locked, short range don't)  but it is slightly immersion breaking because every ship without those orders disappears.  Maybe one way to do it is change the icon slightly and lock it's position so it's "last known position" until LOS is re-established.