Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deploy from carrier.  (Read 6678 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Deploy from carrier.
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:51:06 PM »

Here is an idea to make it happen.  If there is a carrier with an empty flight deck in play, the player has the option to deploy fighters from carrier, much like how player can make fighters and frigates deploy at the sides of the screen in pursuit battles.  If selected, the carrier starts building new fighters to launch.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Deploy from carrier.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:14 AM »

Great idea. Maybe it can be tied in with some kind of control to dock your fighters with your carrier for when you need to protect them from certain situations... Like running headlong in to battle cruisers...

since we are getting a new carrier too!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:55:08 AM by Linnis »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »

Not saying it is a bad idea, just saying I think I have seen this floating around before and Alex May have commented on it previously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:43:31 AM »

I remember previous deploy from carrier topics, but the most recent I found was buried, and posting in it would probably be thread necromancy.  If Alex posted something in one of them, I would like to see it.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »

I don't remmember if Alex commented on it, but we decided tht it was unnecessary and did add anything to the carriers. (Btw I was one of the people for this idea)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

I would like to see carriers have a 0 CR deployment cost, as it already costs a bunch for the fighter wings. That's an aside though.

What advantage do we get from launching them from the flight deck? I mean aside from it looking awesome.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

1. It looks good.
2. Fighters can get to the action faster if the carrier is in the middle or near the top of the map.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »

Cause it more awesome, plus it gets rid of alot of frustrations from when your fighters engage targets they have no reason to... often alone.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »

If deploying new ships via code is ever working right again, it'll be possible to do this (again).  I had stuff that was basically like this working in 0.54.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »

Cause it more awesome, plus it gets rid of alot of frustrations from when your fighters engage targets they have no reason to... often alone.

If SS had GSB type AI controls, or some way to better manage their roles and behaviors, then you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »

Just give carriers a 'Resource' that allows them to field fighters directly at it's location depending on it's (not defunct) hanger stat.  The higher the stats the more wings you can have spawn from that carrier.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 07:12:10 PM »

I would like to see carriers have a 0 CR deployment cost, as it already costs a bunch for the fighter wings. That's an aside though.
This would be unbalanced for the non-dedicated carrier ships (Venture and Odyssey) that do not need fighters to fight effectively.  Even the Astral can be made into a decent battleship with max Combat and Technology.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 03:31:46 AM »

This would be unbalanced for the non-dedicated carrier ships (Venture and Odyssey) that do not need fighters to fight effectively.  Even the Astral can be made into a decent battleship with max Combat and Technology.

I know what you mean, and if it's not a dedicated carrier ship then don't give it 0 CR deploy. If it does more than be a carrier with basic defenses - then it is a multi-role combat craft and doesn't fit the rule.

Modern aircraft carriers are amazing in their capacity and endurance to field fighters and bombers on a round the clock basis. One the other hand they are some of the most expensive ships to build and operate, mainly the operation too - so although they're always combat ready they continue to consume supplies.

<CR Side Rant>
The CR model just doesn't accommodate for a usage model where it's always Combat Ready because it has shifts in continual shifts, and has more than enough supplies to last epic and drawn out battles before needing a re-supply.

</end CR Side Rant before the post get's moved to another thread>

Blackoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

I like the idea of being able to deploy from carrier. I think it would have its benefits.

What I have in mind is having carriers have a hanger capacity as well as a number of launch pads. That way fighter wings can be stored in the carriers during map travel at the benefit of costing no logistics to maintain after all fighter aircrafts are repaired and replaced after the battle. Since logistics is such a critical resource to deal with in the current state of the game. I would like to have some torpedo wings in my fleet but I dont use them unless I have to, so they take up logistics that I only sometimes utilize.

A drawback to this could possibly that the ships take time to launch during the battle so they would not be fully launched untill say 1 minute into the battle. Or if you have multiple carriers in the group they could each be launching different wings.

Small carriers could hold possibly 1 wing worth of fighters/spares in the bay. Medium carriers could hold 3 wings worth of fighters/spares. Large carriers can hold 7 wings worth of fighters/spares

Wings that dont get docked would still cost logistics as normal. We already have ships with deployable drones, so to me (a very non experienced game dev / modder) it seems like the mechanics are already in place.

I suppose a possible issue would be that it would be easy to spam a battle with fighters. But with both sides having this, I would love to see more fighters in battle  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:43:17 AM by Blackoth »

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

<CR Side Rant>
The CR model just doesn't accommodate for a usage model where it's always Combat Ready because it has shifts in continual shifts, and has more than enough supplies to last epic and drawn out battles before needing a re-supply.

</end CR Side Rant before the post get's moved to another thread>
Er, well yes it does, because you can handle multiple deployments before getting into malfunction territory. The difference between 55% and 50% is you have less of a buffer to go before problems arise.
Pages: [1] 2