Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Dev/Cheat commands  (Read 22372 times)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
Dev/Cheat commands
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

For those of us interested mostly in using this build as a testing platform, are there dev commands?

The problem I keep running into in testing is Tachyon dominance, they swarm and crowd the one orbital station making it impossible for me to land.  Would be nice to be able to spawn ships/money/whatever as well with console commands to efficiently test out all the ships.

Tamunshin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Dev/Cheat commands
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

I've personally been noticing the opposite. The two huge defense fleets at the station faceroll anything that gets close, combined with several large roaming independant and hegemony fleets means there's barely anything left (outside of tiny fleets that can't be caught by anyone).

As for giving yourself money and ships etc, I believe you can edit the player faction somewhere to give those but I'm not sure on what or where.

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Your hegemony forces will get nuked when the tri-tach start spawning the multi paragon fleets

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:31:20 PM »

The Tachyon thing is a side issue.  The main point here is console commands for testing purposes.  Its very clumsy to debug something following the natural order of gameplay (although that definitely has a role too).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »

For those of us interested mostly in using this build as a testing platform, are there dev commands?

The problem I keep running into in testing is Tachyon dominance, they swarm and crowd the one orbital station making it impossible for me to land.  Would be nice to be able to spawn ships/money/whatever as well with console commands to efficiently test out all the ships.

You can set "dev mode" by tweaking the config file (data/config/settings.json), but there's nothing particularly useful it lets you do. More zooming, ctrl-click to take over ships in combat, 'K' in the campaign mode to get some credits, and that's about it.

I'm usually running the game in debug mode from the IDE, so most code changes show up in the running game without a restart - that's why there wasn't much of a need for an extensive dev mode.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

Right on.  I'll poke around with it.