Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Damage Graphic Shenanigans  (Read 1564 times)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Damage Graphic Shenanigans
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »

I'd noticed this quite some time ago, and whilst you'd only see it if you're really quite bored and are looking much closer at things that you ought to be, this.... Bug is a bit weird/amusing/annoying.

(I have no idea if this has been reported already or not, and I simply lack the courage to scour the forum to see if it has.)

How to do it:

Beat up and kill a (preferably) large ship, and beat yourself up in the process. Now, with your half dead ship, try to find a relatively undamaged portion of hull on your since deceased adversary and get as close as you possibly can to said undamaged potion of hull.

You should notice something like this:

(largish pictures, and the subject is sitting glumly in a red box)

Spoiler

[close]

So, that's it. A relatively minor thing that I think really ought to be fixed, sorry if it's already been noted. :)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Graphic Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:05 AM »

Thanks for the detailed report! Have you seen this happen in vanilla? Just tried it with a few ships (Shade + Onslaught) and it seems to be working fine. Could be a consequence of modded ships having an overly-tight collision radius, though I think it'd have to be pretty small (very close to hugging the ship) for this to show up.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:58:29 AM »

Hyph_K31, I notice that the ship you chose is the Oasis. You should know that both the rotating ring and crossbar that you've highlighted in your screenshots uses a horrible, horrible hack to achieve the rotation effect. Both the ring and crossbar are (very large) decorative weapons that sit atop an empty area of the ship. If there are graphical oddities that result, it's not really something Alex will be able to answer for, in general.

However if you can reproduce with a vanilla ship and post screenshots, that would be a different story. I just don't think this is necessarily a valid bug report because you're using a mod-added ship, that uses a graphical hack in the areas that seem to exhibit the oddity.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

I pretty sure that this can only really be made to happen in at least one of the ships involved is gigantic. I've been able to replicate it using Onslaughts and the largest Zorg ship.

Since the effect can also be seen over decorative weapons (I was going to mention that... Evidently I forgot! ;D) I would assume it is to do with bounds/collision, and not the sprite itself. Really, I should have moved my ship away from that horrendous hack of yours, but if I had, the effect would have been much harder to see as the rest of the ship was positively wasted.

I've noticed that the rogue damage graphics follow the live ship in a box (equal I think in dimension to the sprite) regardless of rotation, although I may be wrong about that (rotation wise).

I cannot post screen shots right now, as I am currently away from a computer with Starsector installed. I will endeavour to replicate this with a onslaught and provide pictures, but compared to Zorg ships the onslaught is so tiny the effect has nearly no chance of being visible.

Spoiler
a minor bug indeed! To be honest, I don't really think it's worth fixing.
[close]

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"