Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: [0.95a] The Mayorate v1.1.0 (2021-11-25)  (Read 320053 times)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.5a] The Mayorate v0.8.1 (updated 3/11/14)
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:44 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Had a field day with the gradient tool. This will be the market interaction image for Inir whenever I get around to making another update. And before you ask- no, I don't know what the beams are for.  ;)

Low-intensity lasers in the green visible light spectrum to prevent collisions with tall buildings, of course!

Considering those beams seem to go into space... what buildings are you referring to? space elevators? :P
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »

When you're flying at nap-of-earth at 1 km/s in atmosphere, it's important to know where the tall buildings are if you decide to ignore the safety regs just a little. ;-)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 22, 2014, 04:39:27 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

*evil cackle*

Toying around with rules.csv (still aways to go though...). Let's see if I can actually pull this off...  :P.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 22, 2014, 05:03:33 AM »

So it begins... I don't know if I'm envious or eager to try! (probably both)

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 22, 2014, 07:51:55 AM »

So it begins...

Oh, !@#$. *stands behind explosion-proof glass*

Ratheden

• Lieutenant
  • Slaughter cannot be spelled without Laughter.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.5.1a] The Mayorate v0.8.1 (updated 3/11/14)
« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2014, 03:03:47 PM »

Greetings, I would like to know whom the enemies of Mayorate are please?
I cannot seem to get much favor from them, as IMO there are not enough pirates.

Thanks

Ratheden

Ratheden

• Lieutenant
  • Slaughter cannot be spelled without Laughter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »

Thanks for setting me straight... I had assumed that it would be the Hegemony.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »

Mayorate Commander: "A Templar Crusade? in ASKONIA?! quickly, lets help defend the system!"

Spoiler
[close]

good to know the Mayorate have their priorities in order.  ;)   gotta love them pirates

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »

I like your mod. However I find the Graser is not very useful, its dps and burst damage are unexceptional and it deals soft flux. The Belial PPC on the other hand is my favorite medium energy weapon. I would suggest buffing the Graser family of weapons a bit.

On an unrelated note, was the front of the Ravana ever supposed to have a built in weapon? I ended up adding a new weapon to its front because it just seemed so appropriate.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2014, 01:21:45 AM »

Mayorate Commander: "A Templar Crusade? in ASKONIA?! quickly, lets help defend the system!"

Spoiler
[close]

good to know the Mayorate have their priorities in order.  ;)   gotta love them pirates

Gotta make sure your friendly neighborhood pirates are safe, right? Seriously though, I got a good laugh out of that screenshot.

I like your mod. However I find the Graser is not very useful, its dps and burst damage are unexceptional and it deals soft flux. The Belial PPC on the other hand is my favorite medium energy weapon. I would suggest buffing the Graser family of weapons a bit.

On an unrelated note, was the front of the Ravana ever supposed to have a built in weapon? I ended up adding a new weapon to its front because it just seemed so appropriate.

As a matter of fact, I am actually revamping that ship right now. I think it's sometimes rather boring to play as it currently is (fly up to them slowly, blast away till they die), so if you have any thoughts over what might be an improvement, I'm all ears. And yeah, the grasers are a bit underwhelming right now and were already on my list of things to fix for the next update. They were in a pretty good spot several versions ago, but got a bit over-nerfed by Dark.Revenant to avoid this phenomenon where the victim's AI unexpectedly drops shields if you hit them hard enough with beams (usually cripples the AIs ship). I have a few creative ideas for them in the next patch, but we'll see how that works out.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »

I found that giving the Graser high burst damage, high flux costs, a long cool down, and a long charge up with the beamfireonlyonfullcharge flag worked pretty well. My numbers need to be tweaked a bit as right now the Ravana with a full Graser load out destroys the Onslaught with ease but is completely annihilated by a Paragon. The biggest issue is that beams are complete useless against good high tech ship without really insane dps, and even then they're not that great. (I made a beam with over 100k burst damage and tried it on the Onslaught and the Paragon, the Onslaught is literally vaporized while the Paragon just shrugs it off)

On the topic of the Ravana, I'd advise a slight boost to the shield arc, I have mine at 180, adding a built in weapon on the front, and tweaking its mobility and maneuvering jets. I used hullmods and a few ship_data.csv edits to do something like this and it made the Ravana much more interesting to fly as. I basically set it up as having high forward burst damage and very good PD (4 dual flak cannons). It was extremely good against low tech ships but much less good against high tech because of its reliance on beams. It also had very high flux all at once from the forward burst weapons (like 10k in 5 seconds) and 6 buffed light grasers that were amazing at at taking out low tech destroyers and frigates supporting the primary target but were horrible against high tech ships. Very strong against single capships but high flux and reliance on maneuvering jets for quick turning, as well as a relatively narrow shield, made it weak to numbers (except fighters, 4 dual flak kills fighters disturbingly well.) which I thought made sense given its description.

On the topic of the shields dropping if you hit hard enough with beams, this happened a few times when I was fighting the Paragon in the simulator and always turned the fight from me getting completely blocked out by the Paragon due to my reliance on beams to me destroying the Paragon in about 15 seconds.

(sorry for rambling about the Ravana, I'm not good at concisely describing ship stats.)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »

Hey just figured I would drop by and let everyone know what's going on with this (been away from these forums for quite awhile).

Aside from wanting to play the game my way, I originally started putting together this mod as a way of teaching myself how to code and produce digital art (I had literally zero starting experience in either department when I began). I think I've definitely come a long way since the very first release I threw together over a year ago. Anyhow, the reason for this post is that I've become rather bored of modding Starsector. It's not really something I can put on a resume, I haven't been learning quite as much as I was before, and it takes a metric ton of work to create and add new assets/features to the game (although I admit that the end product is really fun!). So I recently decided to up the difficulty level a bit and start writing my own game. It's actually been going quite well so far, but coding my own stuff eats up virtually all of the time I used to spend modding.

This is by no means a goodbye or statement that you're never getting another update. Just that development is going to get reeeaaaaallyyyy slow, and the vast majority of my time is going to be invested elsewhere. However in an effort not to hang everyone out to dry, I do have a partially completed update on my hands. I'll see if I can release that (without the broken bits) sometime in the near future. It will likely contain a lot of art/quality of life improvements, but few major changes. If there is anything you really want to see in it, let me know. I am probably not going to implement suggestions that require a large amount of new code or art.

And for those curious about the game I'm (attempting) to write:
Spoiler
I'm putting together a hex-based strategy game for Android (possibly iOS, but there are a couple complications because Apple's business practices are *** ***...) built with libGDX. Think Battles for Wesnoth, but set in the future, touch- and small screen-friendly, and with a slew of new mechanics. Right now I'm admittedly in the early stages - I've put together a responsive map/interface, but not too much else (I'm assembling all of the "infrastructure" before I get started on the actual artwork/gameplay).

The end product will hopefully be fun (duh), have one or two story-driven campaigns, possess strong enemy AI, and be able to be played casually (think something the average person could pick up and play during bus rides on the way to work). Of course, failure is always an option, but the goal here is to pick up a bunch of new skills and have something to show for it. It won't be pay to win. (Totally off topic, but one of my friends is a "Product Manager" or something like that for EA, and I often like to jokingly make a point of what a bloodsucking corporation he works for. It turns out that he and most of the other management don't actually play video games, which explains a lot.)
[close]

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #252 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:48 AM »

Learning experiences are the best kind!

Good luck with your game, and don't be afraid to post it here when you're done :D

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2015, 10:33:23 AM »

It's true that Starsector's modding can eventually get a bit boring after a while. Still, i hope you'll try to keep the Mayorate updated for the next updates, i wouldn't like to see it disappear like the old popular mods.

And good luck with your game.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] The Mayorate v0.8.1 (updated 3/11/14)
« Reply #254 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:53 PM »

It's true that Starsector's modding can eventually get a bit boring after a while. Still, i hope you'll try to keep the Mayorate updated for the next updates, i wouldn't like to see it disappear like the old popular mods.

And good luck with your game.

I have no intention of letting this die. This mod started as a way of being able to play Starsector the way I wanted to play it. Now I sorta get frustrated if I ever have it turned off when I play. Since I always come back and play this like crazy when an update comes out, you can probably imagine how annoyed I would be if I didn't have a functional version of my mod out.

On the same topic, I'm very sad that Cycerin and MesoTroniK never updated their mods for 0.65. I know that there's always a temptation to have everything be perfect and wait 'till you've added a huge amount of new content every update, but it means you're leaving everyone who enjoyed playing your mod out in the cold in the meantime (including me  :'(). Why not put out a playable dev to keep people happy in the meantime? Plus, the playerbase has gotten a lot bigger with the update. I indirectly keep track of the number of people playing Starsector/mods by the number of downloads I get. Without listing the actual number of downloads, I would say that there are at least 4-5 times as many people playing mods than there used to be- which means that the vast majority of the people now on this forum haven't played what were arguably two of the best mods before the patch. Which saddens me. Although it's ultimately up to them to decide when they want to release things, I want to play those again at some point regardless of how "finished" they are (WINK WINK, NUDGE NUDGE).

Learning experiences are the best kind!

Good luck with your game, and don't be afraid to post it here when you're done :D

I was planning on it  :). Although it could be awhile till I have a viable prototype... although things are going rather well (I've been able to implement everything I've wanted to so far), I'm not exactly the fastest or most experienced coder around hehe...

And thanks to everyone here for playing this and keeping me inspired to keep working on things all this time! To those original 60 people who were actually willing to play my original 0.1 version, you guys are the best! (The rest of you are awesome too :))
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33