Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33

Author Topic: [0.95a] The Mayorate v1.1.0 (2021-11-25)  (Read 320054 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] The Mayorate v0.3 - updated 13/12/13
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 01:20:04 AM »

Hah, no problem- I'll change the name of those AOE missiles for you next update.

The situation with the sounds is a little more complicated. I have huge issues with the vanilla Starsector weapon sound fx. I noticed that a number of them are simply kick drum samples or snare rimshots with no post-processing or reverb whatsoever. There's not much variety, and it all just sounds the same to me. (To cut a long rant short, I don't entirely like the style.) I'm more of a fan of the harder-hitting/more dynamic stuff, where firing a large mount feels as if you're about to dismantle a planet and a light mount sounds like, well... a light mount.  ;)

That said, really anything goes at this point. I build weapons around the sounds I like, so if you've got something fabulous, send it over and I'll give it a listen/possibly build a weapon around it (the main catch is that I'm really picky...). Someone previously mentioned helping make custom sounds for this mod, but I haven't heard too much from them yet.

Essentially, if you (or anyone else) feel that there's something awesome you want to see/contribute (aside from art), PM me or post here and I'll consider adding it in.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

I'm anticipating your next update to this, your art's gorgeous and I cannot wait for more beautiful ships to ravage with my ocular orbs.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »

Art update  :D

Updated destroyer sprite (new/old):

New portrait (spoilered, cause its huge):
Spoiler
[close]

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »

I expected you to rework the Esfahan. It looks ok but i don't find it as good as the others ships, the parts look too bulky i think. For the portrait it still obviously need some work, but i like the uniform.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2014, 06:06:24 PM »

Yeah, even after the update its still my least favorite ship (the frigate is my hands-down favorite at the moment). The back isn't quite as interesting as the front, and could use a bit of a remodel. I may redo it at some point, but right now this faction needs more ships before I completely gut the current lineup.

Anyhow, updated portrait.

I really need to just buckle down and start cranking out more ship/weapon graphics, but I keep getting distracted lol...

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:01 PM »

The Grav Cannon appeared in the Orbital Station, though it might be because I started that save without the mod and then saved it with the mod enabled later.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

looking pretty good so far...though the portrait is lacking the ships however are really nice looking...once it gets more ships and fighters and bombers then this faction should do well in compilation mods :) keep up the good work and welcome to the faction cluster :)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] The Mayorate v0.4 (updated 5/1/14)
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »

UPDATE! (polish patch)

Firing the new Belial PPC!  :D

Changelog:
-Updated Rakshasa sprite
-Rakshasa frigate renamed to Lilith
-Updated Esfahan sprite
-New portrait (I may improve it or make more later...)
-Added the Inanna interceptor, an advanced space superiority drone armed with a single Light Graser. Very effective when used in numbers. Cannot be leveled beyond green (AI pilots never learn...  ::)).
-Added the Belial PPC, a deadly but unreliable flechette shotgun with a new buckshot firing behaviour by xenoargh (no more boring fan patterns!). Lilith-class frigates now carry the Belial PPC instead of the Mining Blaster.
-Added the Windstalker MRM, an alternative to the Sabot SRM. Easy to shoot down and does less damage, but has a deep ammo capacity and launches in swarms. Ravana-class battlecruisers now use the Winstalker MRM instead of Sabots.
-All Mayorate ships now use custom engine graphics! Spews a long trail of icky exhaust behind all of your ships (it kinda looks like your capital ships are running on diesel haha). I don't know about the rest of you, but it's pretty cool looking.
-Various balance changes. Certain Mayorate ships are now slightly easier to kill (Ravana, Del Azarchel).
-THIS MOD NOW REQUIRES LAZYLIB.

Known issues:
-Damage numbers for the Belial PPC occasionally don't show up. Fixed as of 0.41.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:56:44 PM by kazi »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] The Mayorate v0.41 (updated 5/1/14)
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 06:46:58 AM »

The PPC is so satisfying to use, i love it. Haven't tried it against fighters swarm, but will probably be devastating. The Windstalker is very good too, i never liked the Sabot SRM, too inaccurate for my taste, i guess i'll only use your version for shield bursting now, also lot of ammo.

For the engine trail, i think i read somewhere it can cause some strain on some computers and lower the FPS, might need one of the coders to certify this though.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »

i dont know about that...we have computers today that learn and adapt so i dont know where that idea came from...i say they should gain ranks since computers can learn nowadays
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:53:11 PM by Lopunny Zen »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »

Computers can learn, but I think kazi had better reasons than realism to make the drones stay at a certain level. He was just making a joke.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »

@ Helmut - Yeah, I spent a lot of time making the PPC so it felt "just right." I'm really glad you like it! Mesotronik and I spent a not insignificant amount of time troubleshooting the buckshot script (we have some pretty awesome ideas for it now that it's working properly). On the engine trails, there are about 5x the number of engine particles being rendered as before (there wasn't any other way I saw to extend the exhaust trails). I haven't noticed any perceptible performance hit, and I have a fairly average computer. However, if someone is running into performance issues as a result, I'd be happy to tone down the exhaust fx in the next update.

@ Lopunny Zen and Sundog - Honestly the reason that drones stay at the same level is more due to the way CR is calculated than anything else. It really irked me when Alex made it so that Wasp Drones and Mining Drones used crew. One reason was realism (wtf why do drones need crew all of a sudden) and the other was the fact that Wasp drones suddenly became really costly in terms of crew because you lose them so often. This huge drain on crew forced me to change how I was using them (or stop using them for that matter). So I made a drone wing that didn't use any crew. Inannas are meant to be disposable, which is what Wasps were originally supposed to be. An unfortunate side effect of this is that the drones no longer level and start at a CR level slightly below green (40%). It looks like the CR calculation is pretty much like this: 40% + Crew bonus + Skills bonus. I'm sorta fine with this as is (the drone stats compensate for the lowered CR), although it's a bit annoying to see that they have a constant "green" experience and CR level all the time. It's definitely possible to change the experience/CR levels- if you look at my mission (mostly used for testing), I've forced all of the fighters to "regular" for instance. I'm definitely going look into fixing this in campaign mode for future updates.

Long story short, if there's something I really dislike about the vanilla game, I'll do my very best to "undo" it here. In addition to the drones/crew thing, an instance of this is the CR timer on frigates, which annoys me to no end. You will never feel like you're forced into racing against a clock in the corner of your screen while piloting Mayorate frigates  ;).

Sorry for the short rant- I just wanted to give you guys the full explanation for why the drones don't level.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:41:56 PM by kazi »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »

@kazi: Bravo! Your art is of superb quality, and you are really getting a feel for Starsector modding very quickly. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »

Sorry for the short rant- I just wanted to give you guys the full explanation for why the drones don't level.

I reject your apology because it's unnecessary :)
Those are good reasons. Anything that adds variety is good in my book.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »

you can make it so they dont need crew you know lol//the neutrino's do it :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 33