Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ongoing Playablity  (Read 3153 times)

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
Ongoing Playablity
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:00:11 AM »

This game is amazing, truly one of the best games I've ever played. However,  I feel as though it lacks something to keep me playing. Yes i can work my way up form a measly frigate to a unstoppable cosmic fortress of doom but then what? My only motivation to start fights is to keep my fleet running smoothly, so that i can fight to keep my fleet running smoothly. I have no purpose :( Now, i'm quite interested to hear what Josh is going to implement to add this sense of purpose to the game. Whatever it is i'm sure it would be brilliant.

Is it just me who has experienced this? I've tried playing certain fleet styles, mixing things up etc. and i still lose motivation. I would like to hear what you guys think?

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
Re: Ongoing Playablity
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:50 AM »

I'd suggest you try out the Exerelin mod. Your purpose then becomes to achieve dominance over the sector for your chosen faction (you are effectively the leader). The mod adds randomly generated systems, dynamic warfare and a tiny bit of industry (mining). It's compatible with a bunch of other mods to spice things up as well.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »

It is true that the game doesn't have too much playability, but if you want to keep playing you could try mods, or there's always waiting for updateds (but that could take months), but I think everyone goes through not being motivated to play this game, and that's natural with this being an alpha and there being no goal. But for me, I always find a way back to this game after a week or two break.

katherine0852

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »

Yeah, I've encountered this as well. I barely ever feel like playing now because it all has a been-there feel.
But I'll bet I've spent at least 100 hours entertained by the game so far (without mods). That seems like insanely good value to me; at least 10 hours per dollar! (5 if looking at full price, still good! And more content coming means more hours).
For comparison: I've played (good!) singleplayer AAA games that barely got me an hour per dollar. Indie games I like, I tend to get closer to two or three hours per dollar spent.
In that respect, Starsector is doing quite well. I could put it down forever right now and never regret the purchase  ;)
You're gonna get bored with a game at some point, that's inevitable. But did you get enough out of it before that? I'd love to find a game that's infinitely replayable, but that just doesn't exist (not counting mods and updates).

That said, there's always room for improvement. Luckily, there's a list of upcoming features that seem to address this.
I fully expect to be able to squeeze quite a few more hours out of the game once it's complete (and/or before that, I'll probably spend a good while poking through each update anyway).

In the mean time, I do hear mods are quite good so maybe I'll try those while I wait ^^

Noilei

• Ensign
  • Unreal Unicorn Bankai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »

Yeah, i think Mods are the way to go. Although i do think there could be plenty implemented to the core game to increase its playability. Speaking about Infinte games you guys should check out Limit Theory. I know i probably shouldn't be speaking about it here but its so amazing. Anyway , Limit Theory (LT) is a space sim/rpg currently in development by ONE GUY called Josh. The game is like 98% procedurally generated and the game world is infinte... yes... INFINTE. The NPC is pretty much autonomous; It gets assigned a certain task eg. Make money, and then it may decide what is the best way to carry out that goal (mining, piracy etc). Ships are  generated, as are weapons, pretty much everything. You guys must to check it out! I cried a little.

http://ltheory.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/LimitTheory/videos

Noran

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:57:03 PM »

This game is amazing, truly one of the best games I've ever played. However,  I feel as though it lacks something to keep me playing. Yes i can work my way up form a measly frigate to a unstoppable cosmic fortress of doom but then what? My only motivation to start fights is to keep my fleet running smoothly, so that i can fight to keep my fleet running smoothly. I have no purpose :( Now, i'm quite interested to hear what Josh is going to implement to add this sense of purpose to the game. Whatever it is i'm sure it would be brilliant.

Is it just me who has experienced this? I've tried playing certain fleet styles, mixing things up etc. and i still lose motivation. I would like to hear what you guys think?

Atm, the vanilla game does get a bit boring, But I find the Exerelin mod to really spice up the game.

I think it should go without saying tho, that this game is still in alpha and should be regarded as such. Vanilla game play is more then likely to change, expand, and improve b4 release.