Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another misc/suggestions list  (Read 1273 times)

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Another misc/suggestions list
« on: November 03, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »

• Make fighters REQUIRE docking/undocking for battles. At start of battles, if i want to spawn fighters, i need to spawn the ship that has the fighters inside. And do add to that is it possible to make proper hull/animation in reguards to landing/docking/takeoff? Like having fighters actually fly into the hull and disappear inside instead of phasing into nothingness.
  • Any plans for a proper drone ship? A ship with no weapons or maybe just PD but with lots of drones and focusing on drone combat. Perhaps have "weapons" that manage said drones, say i want X drone i fit in X "weapon", if i want drone Z i install a Z "weapon".
  • Different types of shields, deflector shields that deflect shots back into space, reflector shields that reflect energy shots, ramming shields that do increased damage, etc...
  • A smooth visual transition between travel and combat mode. Similar to final fantasy's WOOSH effect when zoning into battle perhaps? Doesn't need to be very accurate, just a fake representation. Something like instantly loading into battle screen but seeing the entire fleet still in warp and then chosing which ships to deploy and the camera, then, pans into the battle map area and the fight starts.
  • More "terrian" types. Right now we have asteroids (dynamic blocking) and clouds (slowing). Maybe introduce warp winds, storm clouds, accretion disks, condensates, etc.. that modify or affect ship's movement.
  • Boarding as part of the battle. Have new ships that have battle docking hoses that allow for in-combat boarding and capture.
  • Speaking of boarding. This idea has nothing to do with the above one. So picture the boarding system like in the game FTL: ships dock and the characters fight eachother in a 2D top-down battle with very simple combat mechanics with a, mostly, rock-paper-scisors logic. Now i imagine this would be automatic and all the player would chose is which troops participate  so we would watch the AI battle it out.  I think it would be a lot of fun to board a new capital ship with 50 crew on board and i send my own cruiser in with 70 soldiers and engineers to take the ship. Soldiers kill enemies and breach doors, engineers slow down the self-destruct or break away of the ship by "hacking" each of the rooms giving soldiers more time to clear the ship. This, as i said, would all be fully AI driven and it's pretty much like watching ants battle.
  • Engine contrails. Make it happen!
  • New missiles, faster flight and less damaging. These are ment to be fired often like other guns. Right now i never find myself using any missiles cus of lack of ammo or realistic damage.
  • Healing/repairs. Was talked about before and i still think it would be fun to have at least the API for it and let mods make it happen.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Another misc/suggestions list
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »

The annoying thing about requiring a carrier to unload fighters is if you are retreating then you have to deploy a slow ass ship to deploy the fighters that screen your retreat.  I think the lore explanation is that the ships don't engage their faster "travel drives" during combat (that's why they rocket in then slow down at the beginning) and I guess the fighters can combat launch from ships in "travel drive" so the carrier doesn't have to disengage "travel drive" and get "deployed" on the map because the fighters don't need the carrier to do that.

We have enough drones, teminator drones and sensor drones, and some drone fighters (mining drones?) as well.

I don't think boarding needs FTL graphics.  Those graphics are a LOT of work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:59:34 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Another misc/suggestions list
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »

Originally fighters themselves were weapons. That's where the "launch bay" in the editor comes from I believe. If you read the blog post on it they decided not to do it this way because then fighters would be limited to carriers only and they wanted fighters to be able to assist in all sorts of fleet engagements.

Fighters are not assigned to carriers for logistical reasons that bog down the macro part of the game to micromanagement.

That being said... I agree!! haha. Drone ships I think could be an exception to the rule here. But I'm sure that has or will be done with the great modding community we are blessed with.

I really would like to see animated launch and landing bays and combat launching from carriers as well, but I feel like it would be low priority compared to getting things like an economy and industry into the game.

For eventual polish? Definitely.

And I think the logistical downsides of such an approach could be marginalized with some nice U.I implements. Saved fighter deployment formats for instance that would automatically set up a set number of fighters/bombers for each ship based on hangar space after originally being designated by the player once. Things like that.