Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: No fighters in Hyperspace battles  (Read 4886 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
No fighters in Hyperspace battles
« on: October 29, 2013, 07:01:09 AM »

In the current lore, fighters have to be berthed when travelling in hyperspace, so it makes sense for them to not be able to participate in hyperspace battles. Might spice up the game play, though not necessarily a good idea for gameplay or for the added complexity.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: No fighters in Hyperspace battles
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »

Not sure if necessary

i think fighter only fleets (and maybe fightered fleets without carriers) shouldnt be allowed in hyperspace though. This reinforces the lore and make carriers more valuable as a force projector able to bring powerful assets to a foreign system
mmm.... tartiflette

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »

Fleets with fighters but no carriers being unable to use hyperspace doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a realism/believability standpoint.

When a ship's cargo/fuel is overloaded, it's my understanding that the excess (that cannot be stuffed into other internal spaces) is 'strapped' onto the hull. There's little reason the same can't be done with fighters.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

In the current lore, fighters have to be berthed when travelling in hyperspace

Mh, where does it say so? If any text says that its probably leftover from the "hangar space" value that existed before the last update.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:40:59 AM »

I like this idea if only because it spices up hyperspace.
Hey brah.

Coolrah

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:35:02 AM »

Your all forgetting the balance that this would ruin. Seeing as how where going to be spending a decent amount of time in hyperspace and banning fighters from being used in it makes no sense. What about bombers and the major role they play in taking down the larger ship now fights would be decided by who has the biggest or most ships. Fighters to me tip the balance in a sense that yeah I may only have 3 medusas, daggers, and wasp.  That's a deadly combo now because the medusas are dishing out the constant steady damage while the wasp force the enemies ships to focus on them thus allowing your daggers to deliver their bombing run and delivering large amounts of damage but if you just remove the daggers and the wasp now I have 3 destroyers which are paper thin and will probaly get destroyed early on because of the lack of a screen and extra damage that the fighters make. They draw shots that would otherwise be focused on other ships and it feels like the game itself is built around the whole Big ship vs Big ship with fighters or specialty ships tipping the scales in either direction.
Its always a good day to die

Obscure

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »

Of course this would completely change the balance in hyperspace combat! that's what we want to see!

a direct combat mechanic change in the way you fight in hyperspace would be wonderful! I love the idea that half my force would be rendered useless if i ventured into hyperspace with a large contingent of fighters.

I also think some tweaks to the way flux is handled in hyperspace would make for a fun and interesting challenge to the game as well!

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »

Fighters are already underpowered in my opinion. If anything we need to nerf them upwards. Perhaps increasing wing sizes by 50% XD

Dex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:05:52 AM »

hows about a compromise?

when in hyperspace (no fighters allowed)the defending fleet has the option to drop out of hyperspace (fighters allowed) just for the battle for a large fuel cost, and the attacking fleet has the option to follow them.

If the defending fleet cant afford the fuel cost they must try and fight or flee without fighters.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:13 AM »

hows about a compromise?

when in hyperspace (no fighters allowed)the defending fleet has the option to drop out of hyperspace (fighters allowed) just for the battle for a large fuel cost, and the attacking fleet has the option to follow them.

If the defending fleet cant afford the fuel cost they must try and fight or flee without fighters.
Thats a great idea. It gives the player more options as well as emphasizes the fact that your in hyperspace. I like it. It also doesn't change the balance because you should be able to spare the fuel. If you can't, that was a risk you took when you bought such little amount of fuel for the travel.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »

I like that one, too.  It'd add a meaningful choice to the equation :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Obscure

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:48 PM »

I like that one, but I think that you need a gravity well to exit hyperspace..