Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Open TTD  (Read 2515 times)

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Open TTD
« on: October 29, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »

So I don't know if any of you guys ever played "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", but basically, it was a old MS-DOS game (Remember DOS???) where you had to reboot the computer in DOS with the disk in the tray to start the game. Well, a group has recently (by "recently" I mean at least several years ago) made an open-source version of this game and released it for free to the public. If you've never played it, it's a classic pre-2000's game where you set up your own transport company from (default) 1960's and see how long you can last.
My record: 2050 with $100B, made my own town and connected 2 lakes with a long-term terraforming and relocation project that cost at least 300bil.

Download link: http://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable

Give it a try and tell tales of your exploits. If you need a hand, just ask on here.
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Open TTD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »

I can give a link to a torrent with the game pre-installed, but I'm not sure what the mods would say to this even though the game is entirely free.
Help me out here, guys.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 03:35:47 AM »

A torrent is nothing illegal, no problem with that. Just make sure that the file does not contain any copyright protected data (like the original TTD files) and there are no links to such data.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:48:58 AM »

Might just play it safe and stick with the official download. It's not that hard to install anyway. (And I think the torrent was Mac only...)
Just follow these instructions and you should be good to go:
1. Download the OpenGFX, OpenMSX and OpenSFX .zip folders
2. Download and run the installer
3. Once the installer is complete, paste the extracted OpenGFX, OpenMSX and OpenSFX folders into the "baseset" folder of the install directory.
4. Run "openttd.exe"

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »

Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Spent many many fun hours playing this :)

Other than OpenTTD (which greatly improves and expands on the original) I haven't found anything that really compares to it.