Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 new Ship types  (Read 5907 times)

kingofhell213

• Ensign
    • View Profile
2 new Ship types
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »

So i've noticed that if you look at the area where you see info on ships at the bottom left, you can see that there are 2 free areas((if you space it correctly and have a decent planning/imaginative ability you can see what i'm talking about)where you mark which types of ships you want to see) for 2 new ship types. So i was thinking that you add Titan and Mothership types. Titans would be bigger than capital ships and Motherships would be much bigger than titans. I don't quite know yet how many weapon slots, ordinance points, crew, and other stats should be so i would leave that up to Devs or other Idealists. I just want to know if having 2 new ship types to take command of that are bigger than the biggest ships in the game and even bigger than that. It would be awesome seeing titan vs titan or mothership vs mothership or even possibly seeing 1 mother ship taking out a huge fleet.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 new Ship types
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

"Capital ship" cover the whole variety of types, since both of those are simply very large capital ships. and they already exist, in mods.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »

I feel like the ships we have now are plenty big; however, I still think there are a few niches that could still be filled.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:26:14 PM »

The ones we have are plenty big indeed, and the problem is that they can't be much bigger than that, because of the collision radius and AI behaviour, if its to big or too long or wide or whatever, the AI won't be able to hit it as effectively, since they shot at your collision radius. and balance also comes into play there, since the bigger the ship is, the harder it will be to balance.

Still, mods add plenty of such ships in, if you miss em, there is always the modding subforum. ;D

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »

I'd more like to see a Corvette class that bridges frigates and destroyers.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »

aren't corvettes smaller than frigates? So more like bridging between fighters and frigates?
mmm.... tartiflette

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »

aren't corvettes smaller than frigates? So more like bridging between fighters and frigates?

Fair point.  Something like that would be fun as well, though.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

No matter how big we make a ship in vanilla Starsector, someone will always want to make one bigger than the official biggest so they can have one bigger. I won't attempt to explain the psychology of it but you must know it will always be the case.

The current size of (vanilla) capital ships was determined so that we can fit a reasonable number of them on-screen at as close to the default 1:1 resolution as possible and still see what is going on fairly well. I expect to make nothing larger than the current largest except perhaps in special circumstances which I would not be able to discuss at this point if they even existed.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:40 AM »

No matter how big we make a ship in vanilla Starsector, someone will always want to make one bigger than the official biggest so they can have one bigger. I won't attempt to explain the psychology of it but you must know it will always be the case.

The current size of (vanilla) capital ships was determined so that we can fit a reasonable number of them on-screen at as close to the default 1:1 resolution as possible and still see what is going on fairly well. I expect to make nothing larger than the current largest except perhaps in special circumstances which I would not be able to discuss at this point if they even existed.

I'd like to point out valkyriaL did a ship that is so big, its twice the lenght of the hegemony SDF circle on the map screen
 ;)

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

:P i didnt intentinaly make the BISO D1 so huge... it was just the first time i tried making a model for starsector, and it turned out huge...

im buessing alot of the big ships in mods are due to this effect
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Modest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

Personaly I am feeling like adding bigger (titan) ship, and even bigger (mothership) ship would be following simmilar path that Supreme Commander 2 did - they added big experimental units, and even bigger experimental units :/ Hate it personaly so I would go agains addign ships bigger and even bigger (no matter how to call them). But adding two more ship types that would nicely fit in... Why not? Especially if one of those types would be corvetes (as mentioned before) lying betwen fighters and frigates.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »

I like to think of the really heavy 2-Fighter wings as Corvettes. Xyphos for example are huge and generally behave kind of like a corvette would if it's a class between fighter and frigate.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »

David, i would love to see you making a 700-900+ long/wide pixel vessel for this game, i mean, the lead artist, who has made all the amazing ships already in here, just imagine what a super-capital ship made by you would look like. =D

Speedycake582

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »

what i would like to see added would be some medium to large ships containing forward fixed weapon emplacements in the center of their hull up front with somewhat small aim angles so that you would have to fully face your enemies to hit with em

for example take the halo series and their MAC cannons most of em are in the middle of their ships and fire a single large shot (except for pillar of autumn which in the book series was capable of three smaller shots in a small burst) those ships i would love to see mainly because of the fun to be had launching kinetic shots that do heaps of shield damage along with a heap of forward facing missile pods XD.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »

what i would like to see added would be some medium to large ships containing forward fixed weapon emplacements in the center of their hull up front with somewhat small aim angles so that you would have to fully face your enemies to hit with em

for example take the halo series and their MAC cannons most of em are in the middle of their ships and fire a single large shot (except for pillar of autumn which in the book series was capable of three smaller shots in a small burst) those ships i would love to see mainly because of the fun to be had launching kinetic shots that do heaps of shield damage along with a heap of forward facing missile pods XD.
Or hell, someone should just make a Halo mod! THAT would be interesting!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: [1] 2