Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use for extra deployment points  (Read 4003 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Use for extra deployment points
« on: October 29, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »

It would be nice if the many DP that remain after deploying a small fleet could be used for something useful. It would certainly add to the attractiveness of operating (or at least actively fighting with) smaller fleets. Would work well as part of the leadership aptitude.

Ideas what that use could be, all options to be chosen in the deployment menu :

- deploying ships from the map sides for double DP
- re-deploying an already retreated ship for double DP (no extra CR cost)
- extra long initial burn-phase for tripe DP
- using one of your reserve ships for deploying (flushing out) a random enemy reserve ship four quadruple DP

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Use for extra deployment points
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »

hm...

not sure how it would work since DP isn't just a resource, but a setting as well...

this could mean that it would be desirable to set low DP for when you're outnumbered, and high DP when you outnumber the enemies.
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:52:33 AM »

not sure how it would work since DP isn't just a resource, but a setting as well...

The required DP could scale with the max DP setting, so at 400 max DP you'd need double the DP for any kind of stunt.

this could mean that it would be desirable to set low DP for when you're outnumbered, and high DP when you outnumber the enemies.

Can you even change that setting within a save? If yes, that's already an desirable "tactic", although I'd consider it plain cheating.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:29:47 AM »

I believe that you can access that setting while in game making one battle with 100 DP and the other subsequent - at 400.

Yeah, it looks like cheating.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »

Make all those options cost more cr for the ship instead of costing DP.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:47:04 PM »

Gothar has a point. Deployment points are practically useless now. There are a ton of ways they can be used to improve gameplay and this is one of them.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

How about using extra DP to alter the amount of CR lost?  So DP saved = CR earned (or at least, not spent)? 

That would reward frugal fleet usage and under-deploying somewhat but not reward any particular build too much.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 03:21:45 AM »

Maybe you can use your deployment points for command points instead?

It's kinda like leading a smaller, more well knit force, where your command staff has more resources to issue much more intricate orders and watch over the whole fleet than deploying many more ships and stretching the CNC to the limit.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »

Again, then the cp skill is useless since you can turn dp to 500 (or higher via modding) and get all the cp u desire
mmm.... tartiflette

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »

Yeah, I was under the impression that Deployment Points were simply there to keep the game running smoothly in the larger battles.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »

How about using extra DP to alter the amount of CR lost?  So DP saved = CR earned (or at least, not spent)?  

That would reward frugal fleet usage and under-deploying somewhat but not reward any particular build too much.
Why would deploying less than the maximum number of ships I'm allowed to reduce the CR cost for deploying the ships I did deploy? CR costs represent in one way or another the stresses imposed by battles upon the crews and ships involved, if I'm not mistaken. If that is the case, then if anything deploying more ships should reduce the CR hit for each ship deployed in battle, not deploying fewer ships.

Maybe you can use your deployment points for command points instead?

It's kinda like leading a smaller, more well knit force, where your command staff has more resources to issue much more intricate orders and watch over the whole fleet than deploying many more ships and stretching the CNC to the limit.
This would be more reasonable to me, as long as the bonus isn't directly dependent on the total number of deployment points available. In other words, you'd have your basic number of command points plus (some constant)*(deployment points used)/(maximum available deployment points), rather than (command point bonus) = (unused deployment points)*(some constant). I'd argue that it's more of a command and control issue than one where you have a more tightly knit task force, because you'd still be able to make use of the bonus with large fleets if you aren't in the habit of deploying as much as you can at once. If this were done, I would also suggest giving the Advanced Command skill a bonus to deployment points which scales with the game deployment point setting, which I think should partially answer gunnyfreak's concerns about making Advanced Command less useful through the introduction of this kind of system. Also, the command point bonus formulas given above are example formulas.

Regardless, I don't see any real reason why there necessarily should be any particular bonus for not making use of the full deployment cap. I also tend to prefer Gothar's suggestions, as they relate to the deployment of ships, which is the stated purpose of deployment points, rather than to arguably unrelated aspects of the game.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:14 PM »

Yeah, I was under the impression that Deployment Points were simply there to keep the game running smoothly in the larger battles.

Right. But since there are already there and lay around useless half of the time, why not make them useful? It's just this feeling of wasting resources whenever I deploy a small fleet that's bugging me.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »

The DP-for-CP thing could work, if it was kept proportional to the DP setting :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack