Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Point Defense Weapons Ingoring Allies  (Read 1593 times)

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Point Defense Weapons Ingoring Allies
« on: October 21, 2013, 03:41:07 AM »

Sorry if this has been posted before - I used the search feature, nothing came up, and nothing in the last few pages of threads looked similar to this.

Normal weapons will cease fire if an ally ship gets between you and your target. Point defense weapons will not. I actually had my pure-PD Paragon (was having fun with an odd build) KILL one of my cruisers when an enemy fired a missile at the cruiser.

(Paragon) ---- (ally ship) ---- (missile)
----PEWWWW----(boom)-----<=<

Turns out 4 Guardian PD's and like 20 various burst lasers will drop an Eagle QUICK if it hits the unshielded rear section, lol. Since the Paragon couldn't hit the missile, the PD's just kept firing until the cruiser died (then fired into his wreck until the missile impacted) Hilarious, but somewhat problematic...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Point Defense Weapons Ingoring Allies
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:04 AM »

Thanks for the report! Hmm. Looking at the code, PD weapons should behave exactly the same with regards to friendly fire as normal weapons; that part of the code makes no distinction between the types.

I just set up a quick test, with a Paragon with a single Guardian PD on autofire, an Eagle blocking its way, and a Condor launching LRMs. The Guardian won't fire as long as the Eagle is in the way.

Were the Eagle's engines flamed out, by chance? There was a bug (fixed a couple of days ago) that caused ships with flamed-out engines to appear much smaller than they were for purposes of friendly fire detection. If not, any other ideas for what might have made these circumstances special?

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:37 PM »

I saw it happen just the other day... I'll try to get it to happen again and I might see if I can get a video, and I'll definitely keep track of what the circumstances are at the time.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »

Thanks, appreciate it! (Hoping it's just another manifestation of the "flamed out engines" issue.)