Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A simple message to Alex.  (Read 6863 times)

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
A simple message to Alex.
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

This game had a lot of potential to be fun, it could've been a great game.

Now after playing around 0.6 i think you strayed away from any fun and success this game could've ever had, look at Battlecruiser 3000 and what became of it

It saddens me to see Starfarer going down the same road.

Aufwiedersehn, this was fun until 0.52, i think i'll just savor that memory than this.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A simple message to Alex.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »

Now after playing around 0.6 i think you strayed away from any fun and success this game could've ever had, look at Battlecruiser 3000 and what became of it

Aufwiedersehn, this was fun until 0.52, i think i'll just savor that memory than this.

And of course, instead of giving a detailed explanation of why you feel that way, you chose to write "this game sucks now" with some shoe polish on top.
 ::)

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »

C'grats you've done the Internet equivalent of yelling insults at passing hitch-hikers on the highway.

Except the hitchhiker is someone who's poured endless hours and passion into creating something you yourself have enjoyed.

This really ought to be locked.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »

A simple message to Alex:

Thank you for the greatest game ever, that gets better and better each release :)

I like yelling compliments at hitch-hikers on the highway... :)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »

Gosh, I don't see the point of these "ohgodCRwhy'dyoudoitkthxbai" posts. Just leave quietly! Anyways, this game is the best game on earth, topping Minecraft, COD, LoL, ect. easily!

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A simple message to Alex
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 12:44:29 AM »

I do like the CR mechanic. But the game had really changed since 0.52. Back then it was a lighthearted space arcade Starfarer, now it's Star Sector the hardcore fleet strategy game.

I do find the new version more stressful to play, as some components of the game are quite unforgiving, much like how it is in a real life. It requires more thinking as well, as you now have to plan ahead and weight the pros and cons of each action. While I do like this, it isn't everybody's piece of pie.

Imagine the average joe, coming home from work, tired, fires up Star Sector hoping to get some quick action fun. But his mind too numb from all that accounting crap at work, too fed up with spreadsheets from his day job to worry about his fleet inventory. He runs out of supply midway trying to intercept the Pirate Plunder fleet, gets pwned because half of his fleet can't fight. For him, it was another bad day.

Andy H.K.

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A simple message to Alex
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 01:17:23 AM »

I do like the CR mechanic. But the game had really changed since 0.52. Back then it was a lighthearted space arcade Starfarer, now it's Star Sector the hardcore fleet strategy game.

I do find the new version more stressful to play, as some components of the game are quite unforgiving, much like how it is in a real life. It requires more thinking as well, as you now have to plan ahead and weight the pros and cons of each action. While I do like this, it isn't everybody's piece of pie.

Imagine the average joe, coming home from work, tired, fires up Star Sector hoping to get some quick action fun. But his mind too numb from all that accounting crap at work, too fed up with spreadsheets from his day job to worry about his fleet inventory. He runs out of supply midway trying to intercept the Pirate Plunder fleet, gets pwned because half of his fleet can't fight. For him, it was another bad day.
At least I think I have more fun figuring out ships fitting and fleet composition than taking stocks at the shop.

Open world strategic space combat simulation RPG is what this game set out to be....

It seems after so many patches people have forgot about the missions..... If you want something light-hearted, there's always Turning the Table.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 03:29:23 AM »

The next update will most likely make a number of changes and simplifications of the CR system, I would not make a final decision before that.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 04:01:02 AM »

Being a bit hasty there with your judgement don't you think? This is a game in development and it's rolling out a new mechanic that has no predecessor in any other game to speak of that I know. Have a bit of faith in your fellow human beings, man. If you checked out the most recent blog post, it's quite clear that Alex isn't adverse to changing how this works.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »

I think all the complaints about CR fail to see the big picture. the game right now may not be how you want it, but remember theres many other features not yet implementing. Direct combat and looting isnt intended to be the only or even primary way to make money.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

I find it funny that people don't seem to realize that the game is currently in a very transitionary phase. The last version was fine because there weren't a lot of loose ends to worry about. Everything worked well enough together, and the game delivered a fairly unified experience.

Problem is, that experience from the old 0.5 versions in no way represents what the final version of the game will be. With the campaign starting to take shape, Alex can't really develop in modules anymore. There comes a point where you have to start adding in features that will more or less appear in the final game, and because, obviously, 0.6a isn't a feature-complete Starsector, there are going to be some pretty big holes in those features.

Boarding is probably the best example. I find it hilarious that people don't realize that the new version of boarding isn't really designed to acquire new ships--it's meant to acquire new blueprints in the future (At least, this is what I recall Alex saying a while back), which is something that hasn't been implemented yet.

So really, instead of everyone going "baaaaww CR ruined the game" or "baaaaawww boarding ruined the game", people just need to chill out and wait for the game to near completion. If Alex made the 0.5a versions as fun as they were, I'm 100% confident that version 1.0 will be infinitely more fun.

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »

I find it hilarious that people don't realize that the new version of boarding isn't really designed to acquire new ships--it's meant to acquire new blueprints in the future (At least, this is what I recall Alex saying a while back), which is something that hasn't been implemented yet.
Blueprints? For real? Well, I don't mind to get rid of old boarding if we will get something like this in exchange. In this case I can understand where boarding changes were aiming.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »

Thats what i said! but "people" didn't seem to agree and they called me bad things and gave me me a sadface :'(

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 01:21:17 PM »

Boarding is probably the best example. I find it hilarious that people don't realize that the new version of boarding isn't really designed to acquire new ships--it's meant to acquire new blueprints in the future (At least, this is what I recall Alex saying a while back), which is something that hasn't been implemented yet.

Uh, that is not quite what I remember. You can acquire ships you can't buy in stations by boarding, which will become much more important once there actually are ships you can't just buy.
I think blueprints will be much harder to come by, at least if they work as I imagine and one blueprint allows you to manufacture an infinite number of ships of that class.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »

Uh, that is not quite what I remember. You can acquire ships you can't buy in stations by boarding, which will become much more important once there actually are ships you can't just buy.
I think blueprints will be much harder to come by, at least if they work as I imagine and one blueprint allows you to manufacture an infinite number of ships of that class.
Hmm. I could have sworn I'd seen Alex say that it was possible to acquire blueprints via boarding somewhere. Either way, whether you can or not, the mere existence of blueprints and the ability to manufacture your own ships sort of kicks boarding down a peg when it comes to effective ways of acquiring new ships.
Pages: [1] 2