Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A simple message to Alex.  (Read 6891 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: A simple message to Alex.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

If you could find that quote, I'd be happy.

There's another possibility, maybe he meant that you can eventually steal items (like blueprints) from ships after boarding them. That would be something I'd like for a number of reasons.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 04:11:30 AM »

This game had a lot of potential to be fun, it could've been a great game.

Now after playing around 0.6 i think you strayed away from any fun and success this game could've ever had, look at Battlecruiser 3000 and what became of it

It saddens me to see Starfarer going down the same road.

Aufwiedersehn, this was fun until 0.52, i think i'll just savor that memory than this.

[shameless advertisement]

Go play Ironclads mod and see what is the potential of the core game once it grows larger and gets more 'meat'. Surely my attempts to create trading, mining, exploration and player proficiencies are quite primitive, but even with those you can see what the ending result of the Starsector might be.

[/shameless advertisement]

Well, Ironclads have their own CR values and supplies/fuel costs that are somewhat less demanding from player.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:13:39 AM by Okim »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

Yeah, it's not at all clear that boarding's how we get Blueprints... and it seems like that would be pretty contradictory to current lore, where Blueprints are more-or-less DRM-protected packages that are available to Stations that can manufacture new ships.

I think it's more fair to say that Alex has been trying to figure out how to make Boarding hard, rather than just a Monty Haul scenario, but that he ended up constructing a RNG system that was a bit less fun than the Monty Haul of 0.54 was while also being more complicated in presentation.  Anyhow, it'll get fixed I'm sure- new mechanics take time to smooth out :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

The problem with this release is hte fact there is still zilch to do other than bashing heads.
CR is supposed to simulate the slow degradation of equippement when the crew is too strained to perform routing diagnostics and repairs.

It would work great if more of the game was ready alongside it like trading (to get credits without bashing heads), diplomacy ETC because cutting supply routes to an outpost would be simulated by lowered CR of its garrison (planetary morale?).
Right now CR is just a feature that hinders the games only... well... gameplay.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:52 AM »

The problem with this release is hte fact there is still zilch to do other than bashing heads.
CR is supposed to simulate the slow degradation of equippement when the crew is too strained to perform routing diagnostics and repairs.

It would work great if more of the game was ready alongside it like trading (to get credits without bashing heads), diplomacy ETC because cutting supply routes to an outpost would be simulated by lowered CR of its garrison (planetary morale?).
Right now CR is just a feature that hinders the games only... well... gameplay.

Whilst your post does have some truth in it, its rather like complaining that the foundations of a building don't keep the rain off.
Its completely true, but its missing the point. Cr needs to go in at some point, and like foundations, the sooner they go in, the easier it is to handle flaws and the more stable the final construction will be.

Yes, the addition of new features is more exciting, and it would be great to have trading, and economy, and so forth, but Alex is employing a very methodical approach of getting existing stuff right, before adding a dozen new things all at once and then failing to properly balance, integrate and flesh them all out. (which is often the ruin of many an otherwise promising project)

Personally I feel this is the best approach, and whilst I would love very much to see the final work right now, I think it will be all the better for our continued patience.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:39:59 AM by zakastra »
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...
Pages: 1 [2]