Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the best Hyperion loadout?  (Read 11200 times)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
What is the best Hyperion loadout?
« on: October 18, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

Hyperion is my favorite scout ship because the phase teleport makes it uncatchable and a burn level of 7 is great.  I hope the Apogee gets some kind of exploration upgrade in the future so it can compete.

What are the best loadouts for the hyperion?

The medium energy mounts are my biggest problem.  Beams are pointless because then the Hyperion cannot get past the flux dissipation of capital ships.  Point Defense in that slot is even worse.  That only leaves heavy blasters and pulse lasers for the medium energy mounts, but those use so much flux that antimatter blasters are much better.

The two small energy mounts of course should be point defense.  A reaper torpedo in each missile slot because phase teleport overcomes the torpedoes' unguided slowness.

Does the phase teleport make vents unnecessary because you are hopefully far enough away to vent for a long time?

What are the best armor mods for it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:43:29 PM by Hari Seldon »
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best Hyperion loadout?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »

*Obligatory mention that " Best " is subjective and that you will get a wide variety of different responses*

I personally prefer a Hyperion with no PD at all. The Hyperion's shield is extremely efficient and comprehensive so fighters and missiles are rarely -if ever- a threat. It's not uncommon for me to leave the small energy slots empty.

I wouldn't personally recommend Antimatter Blasters, mostly because they're limited to 24,000 (36,000 with extended magazines) total damage which a Heavy Blaster achieves in 60 shots (60 seconds).

My ideal loadout is typically 2 Heavy Blasters, 1 Ion cannon, 2 annihilators, 10 vents, ITU, flux resistant conduits, Stabilized Shield, Hardened shield. With some leftover OP if you've leveled up enough to get ITU in the first place.

Basically the intention here is to vent after EVERY shot where possible to maximize potential damage, letting the Ion cannon fire where/when appropriate.

I've also tried a burstier approach with two Mining Blasters which while less efficient in terms of flux-> damage hit a lot harder per shot therefore punching through the armor of say.. a Dominator much more quickly. It has its problems if you don't play it perfectly though.

Keep in mind that your Peak Performance time will NOT go down while on 0 flux, another subtle bonus of vents is that they'll increase your actual combat time.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »

Cool, yeah no PD could work.

So the best thing to do against slower ships is teleport in, fire your heavy blasters, then teleport out and vent?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

It depends on how much OP, hullmods, and perks you have available.  At a minimum, you want Hardened Subsystems and maximum capacitors and vents.  If you use blasters in medium slots, you also want something that can zap fighters in the light slots.  Missiles are optional.

If I have no Combat and no Technology, I would probably use Mining Blaster x2 and PD or Tactical Lasers x2.  One mining blaster is half as strong as antimatter blaster, but two mining blasters can be fired once, then Hyperion can teleport away, vent, and repeat.  Actually, without more than ten capacitors, the Hyperion does not have the flux capacity to fire more than one antimatter blaster at a time.

If I have max Combat and max Technology...
Super Hyperion configuration:
Weapons:  Heavy Blaster x2, IR Pulse Laser x2, Harpoon MRM (Single) x2
Hullmods:  Accelerated Shields, Extended Shields, Hardened Subsystems, Integrated Targeting Unit, Resistant Flux Conduit
Capacitors:  20 (requires Flux Dynamics 5)
Vents:  10

I do not need point defense for missiles, but I do for fighters because blasters are flux-hungry and Hyperion will need to vent sooner, wasting time on the CR clock.  IR pulse lasers are effective against fighters.

As for hullmods, Extended Shields for 360 coverage; Accelerated shields because they become fast enough to raise instantly in case you teleport your rear pointed at an enemy's barrel; Hardened Subsytems because you want to extend your performance; and Resistant Flux Conduit to vent even faster.  The ITU is only there because I have nothing left worth spending OP on (or rather not enough OP left for Flux Coil Adjunct or two burst PD lasers).  If you have max Flux Dynamics, excess points can go to more vents.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »

So the best thing to do against slower ships is teleport in, fire your heavy blasters, then teleport out and vent?
This is what I do.  If you do not have weapons in your light slots, you will also do this against fighters, which is inefficient.  Hyperion versus fighters will be a common matchup if it is sent to capture objectives or pursue faster ships.

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »

With regards to Hardened Subsystems, keep in mind you've already "payed" 75% CR so you can literally burn through 75% after your peak performance has ended before it becomes a logistical problem. You're only contending with the Malfunctions threshold which is pretty lenient.

Basically you get 120 seconds of Peak performance and then (75% / 0.33CR/sec) 227 seconds of your CR degrading before it goes below the 75% threshold that you've already "payed" for deploying it in the first place.

Frankly I don't entirely understand why Hardened Subsystems exists... Nobody needs a Hyperion for 9.5 mins O.o

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »

Borgoid:  It depends what task the Hyperion is used for.  If Hyperion is used only for pursuit, then Hardened Subsystems may not be needed.  If it is used as a flagship (of a frigate swarm) that can fight against a huge defense fleet, it needs to stay out as long as possible, and two minutes is not enough time to defeat the fleet.  Hardened Subsystems is also useful for Tempests that have OP to burn.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »

i personally have two layout for it.
either 4 AM blaster with torpedoes, or swap a pair of AMs with pulse lasers to cover the sluggin' aspect of fighting if i feel thats needed.

Past that, i usually put whatever OP is left equally in capacitors and vents

Borgoid

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

I've used frigate swarms of all kinds including pure Hyperions ( amusing by the way ) and I've never found a use for Hardened Subsystems for the reasons I've already covered.
True performance time is much longer than the Peak Performance time would suggest.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »

Not heavy blasters, use anti matter. By the time a heavy blaster fires a second shot, the enemy will have raised its shields. Btw, it takes the Hyperion the same time to vent from full flux as it takes for antimatter blaster to reload.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

All AM-Blasters, all the time. Any spare OPs invested in vent and capacity. Possibly Harden or Fix-forward those shields as well to get even more flux. Or Flux Conduit. All Blasters gets you enough Alpha to take out Cruisers in one salvo, even without maxed out damage skills, with enough capacity to spare to teleport away a few screens to vent in peace.

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »

2x typhoon reapers
2x am blaster (forward mounts)
2x burst pd

10x vents
3x capacitors

resistant flux conduits
hardened shields

later:

manuvering jets
5x capacitors

shoot em up till it overloads and then bomb it

although i consider the hyperion one of the worst ships in the whole game... for its fleet point cost i can get a cruiser
its basicaly a glorified wolf
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:35:38 AM by dmaiski »
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »

How the HELL can people stand using the Hyperion without Heavy Armor and Goddess forbid Maneuvering Jets!?!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

In my case, I put no points in the skill that gives armor hullmods.  I cannot add Heavy Armor if I do not have that hullmod unlocked.  (Even if I did, I still prefer perks and hullmods that enhance speed or firepower over tanking.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »

In my case, I put no points in the skill that gives armor hullmods.  I cannot add Heavy Armor if I do not have that hullmod unlocked.  (Even if I did, I still prefer perks and hullmods that enhance speed or firepower over tanking.)
How do you control it easily then? Do you just use turn to cursor and fly nothing but frigs?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: [1] 2