Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sproginators Ban  (Read 4368 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Sproginators Ban
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »

So, i've recently been talking to sproginator via steam, and apparently he got banned by gothars (first temporary, later on perma) for apparent offences against him (against gothars, that is), and insults that were thrown on steam (which were obviously not - there's evidence to support this).

(The evidence is condensed - it's all in this spoiler though)

steam logs
Spoiler
Steam logs removed by Trylobot on 10-19-2013, because it was rude of you to post them in the first place, without Alex's permission. Do not do this again.
[close]

I don't really see how this would deserve a permanent ban - yeah, i could understand a temp ban but a perma... seems a bit overkill to be honest.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:06:42 PM by Trylobot »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Sproginators Ban
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »

he'll be unbanned before he knows it, he's just a little to upset about this update right now, give him some time to calm down.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »

ok, seriously...

insulting the moderator after a temp ban? Not a good idea -_-

which were obviously not - there's evidence to support this
er... were the evidence supposed to support NO insults? Because it proves there is insult being thrown around...

mmm.... tartiflette

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »

I always try to keep in mind that using someone else's forums is a privilege, not a right.

That said, I wouldn't ban someone for personal communications sent/received outside of the forums; in my mind that's acting beyond your jurisdiction & comes off as vengeful & vindictive.

Perhaps a more rational solution would be for Gothars to have simply unfriended him on Steam.
If that had precipitated further hostility by Sproginator through the forums, then a ban would have become appropriate.

p.s.

Where is the personal attack?
Sproginator was obviously hostile, and critical, but I see nothing offensive.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:18 PM »

That said, I wouldn't ban someone for personal communications sent/received outside of the forums; in my mind that's acting beyond your jurisdiction & comes off as vengeful & vindictive.

ya ok... that's a good point, probably a bit uncalled for

Where is the personal attack?
Sproginator was obviously hostile, and critical, but I see nothing offensive.

Some of the more offensive things I saw:
Sproginator: Actually, thats just pathetic of you
Sproginator: I can see why so many people dissaprove of your moderator status within the forum
Sproginator: your just unwilling to listen to any form of critisicm
Sproginator: you are incompetent
Sproginator: and a horrible moderator
mmm.... tartiflette

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

he'll be unbanned before he knows it, he's just a little to upset about this update right now, give him some time to calm down.

Will he though? Thats a perma ban...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:49:31 PM »

You never know, its happened before, hes not the first and probably won't be the last, just cause hes permabanned doesn't mean hes gone forever, he could just apologize when he's calm and collected, i don't think Gothars or any other mod would ban him and keep him so just because he got angry over an update and threw strong words around.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

look, i don't care how you talk to each  outside or anywhere else
if "insult" was NOT on this forum then i don't see ANY reason to ban anyone
thats just childish
let's just wait what  Game Master has to say about this
but persanally i don't see any reason to maintaine this ban
PS:Sproginator is quite a talker  ;D
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

ya... a temp ban is cool just cuz of the swear filled thread, derailing the blog post update, and reposting the swear rant on the remove escape thread...

it was offensive what he said to Gothars on steam, but that's no reason to take it out here....

really hope it can be reduced to like a week or something
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

Going to lock this thread, discussing bans (or other moderator decisions) in public is a bad idea.

1. There's always more to the story. I (or a moderator) could talk about all the details that went into the decision, but in my mind that amounts to speaking ill of someone - in public! - where they can't defend themselves. I'm not comfortable with that. The alternative is allowing a discussion about a sensitive subject that's at best lacking all the facts; that's no good either.

2. The person starting a thread like that could be seen as enabling the banned individual to post on the forum by acting as their proxy. That could get that person in trouble. (I'm not saying that's necessarily what's going on here.)

3. Making moderator decisions a subject of public debate is a bad idea in general. It's a slippery slope; it undermines their authority; the moderators are all level-headed folks whose judgment I trust; and they're volunteering their time to help keep these forums a nice place. They deserve better than to have to spend even more of their time defending every decision in public, and likely getting into a fruitless "he said she said" type of situation.

look, i don't care how you talk to each  outside or anywhere else
if "insult" was NOT on this forum then i don't see ANY reason to ban anyone
thats just childish
let's just wait what  Game Master has to say about this
but persanally i don't see any reason to maintaine this ban
PS:Sproginator is quite a talker  ;D

Speaking hypothetically, if someone uses a different communication channel to harass a moderator about (or because of) a moderation-related decision they made, then I think it's perfectly reasonable to take further disciplinary action.

If the communication was unrelated to that and was purely personal in nature, that might be a different story and would depend on the severity of the situation.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 03:18:52 AM »

Just one thing I'd like to add:

A weighty judgement like a permanent ban (or usually even a temp ban) is never rendered by a single moderator, it is a consensus. We do not take these decisions lightly at all. In this case I'm personally saddened that it was necessary.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.