Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24)

Author Topic: Hello and First Impressions  (Read 4485 times)

DarkMecha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • www.darkmecha.com
Hello and First Impressions
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

Hi everyone, got this last night. I've played about 2 hours so far, and I have to say - this is GREAT!

Even in the early state it is, there is so much potential. It's already quite fun just to fight these mission battles.

First Impressions:

+ Awesome art, I really like the look of the game. As an artist myself, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into designing great ships.
+ Detailed ships are detailed, I love the complexity on offer in terms of weapons arcs and such.
+ Flux is a neat concept, forcing you to choose between defense (shields) and offense (fire all guns!), at least if I'm understanding it right.
+ The map objectives (nav buoys ect) are rather cool, and I'm sure stations and other stationary objects / "space terrain" could be added later.

A few suggestions:  (and only that, I realize you have your own vision)

+ Turning ships feels good, but I really think this game would benefit greatly from a SFC style 'click to steer' control option. Especially with some of the
larger ships, it would not only add to the naval feel but also just be great to set a course with a mouse click, set speed, then focus on the weapons.
+ This one is likely just personal preference, but I thought I'd just mention it - the battle pace feels abit quick for such complex ships. I think if weapons did
abit less damage and you got to slug it out abit longer that would also add to the game's naval feel.
+ Any plans to add systems like ECM / ECCM, cloaking, probes (to find enemies on the map), mines, or repair ships? Just asking! :D

Once again great game! I like it alot, and am excited for it's future.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

Hi, thanks for dropping by to share your impressions! Glad you're liking the game overall.

Some responses to your suggestions:

+ Turning ships feels good, but I really think this game would benefit greatly from a SFC style 'click to steer' control option. Especially with some of the
larger ships, it would not only add to the naval feel but also just be great to set a course with a mouse click, set speed, then focus on the weapons.

SFC? I see what you're getting at, though. I don't think this'll happen - even for larger ships, manual piloting can be the difference between a narrow torpedo miss and your ship becoming a charred hulk. Besides, with inertia and all, it's actually quite easy to set your ship on a course you want, and only adjust it here and there when you need to.

+ This one is likely just personal preference, but I thought I'd just mention it - the battle pace feels abit quick for such complex ships. I think if weapons did
abit less damage and you got to slug it out abit longer that would also add to the game's naval feel.

Hmm. Are you basing that on smaller or larger ships? Combat lasts decidedly longer, and is slower paced, in larger ships (such as, say, the Apogee or the Conquest, in "Hornet's Nest" and "The Last Hurrah", respectively). The idea is to suit different playstyles with different-sized ships. If you can clarify, though, I'll definitely keep it in mind - it's something I'm already thinking about in the back of my mind.

+ Any plans to add systems like ECM / ECCM, cloaking, probes (to find enemies on the map), mines, or repair ships? Just asking! :D

Yeah - I think there are actual plans for all of those except probes :) No timeframe, though - pretty much whenever we can work them in between larger features.

DarkMecha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • www.darkmecha.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »

SFC = StarFleet Command (3d graphics, but 2d gameplay) - basically you'd click and it would bring up a graphic showing an arc from your current heading to your desired heading and you'd just turn towards that heading. It's a minor thing though, and with the abundance of fixed forward guns in this game, I can see how it might not work so well.

I'm basing the combat length more on the smaller ships, just feels like they pop so quickly. However I've only played 2 hours so, might just be me! Yeah nevermind on that - I was interpreting some of the graphic effects wrong. I notice how your hull actually visually heats up due to laser weapons, that rocks! I totally thought it was my hull being nearly destroyed instantly.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:47:03 PM by DarkMecha »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »

SFC = StarFleet Command (3d graphics, but 2d gameplay) - basically you'd click and it would bring up a graphic showing an arc from your current heading to your desired heading and you'd just turn towards that heading. It's a minor thing though, and with the abundance of fixed forward guns in this game, I can see how it might not work so well.

Sounds like a game I'd like ... and so should probably stay away from :)

I'm basing the combat length more on the smaller ships, just feels like they pop so quickly. However I've only played 2 hours so, might just be me! Yeah nevermind on that - I was interpreting some of the graphic effects wrong. I notice how your hull actually visually heats up due to laser weapons, that rocks! I totally thought it was my hull being nearly destroyed instantly.

Hah! I admit, that effect can get a little out of hand for small/poorly armored ships. "Oh no, it's a pile of molten slag! Wait a minute, looks like the paint got seared off, but that's about it."

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »

I have noticed that as well. the effect is cool, but could maybe be a little more subtle.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Alendor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

while combat does slowdown once youg et the hang of it in my expierience.  i have noticed that ships can still die far too quick if they get hit with a good amount of stuff.  like one bombing run will kill the beggest of ships.  a little slower probably would be nice.

kwekly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »

yeah the game has a steep learning curve, especially when you take on a capital ship for the first time with the million other parts of the battle going on at the same time. Once you get used to it though, you learn to control the pace of the battle a bit better. The fact that a cleverly timed bomber run can land 3 torpedoes, punch a hole in an onslaught's armour and completely change the momentum of a capital ship battle s'what makes the game tactically so interesting and intense. For me anyway, I'm always on edge when I play, constantly planning 30 seconds ahead for that 2 second window to adjust course and make the decisive strike.

So yes give it a bit more time, come back once you've made it though "The Last Hurrah" and then see what you think.

DarkMecha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • www.darkmecha.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:31 PM »

After practicing abit more in Wolf Pack I now last longer in smaller ships than big ones lol. Game definitely has some depth, loving it.