Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

Vote for or against it (Note this wont change anything, im just curious how many likes it).

I like it.
- 71 (73.2%)
I don't hate or like it.
- 18 (18.6%)
I hate it.
- 8 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: October 19, 2013, 05:55:04 AM

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Combat readyness poll.  (Read 9379 times)

Pentarctagon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Combat readyness poll.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

I don't hate it, but at least for now it tends to make the game less fun.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »

I (and others) can write about what is finished so far and complain about stuff that is bad, so that it can get better before the game gets done.  We can evaluate future, more complete versions after they are released.

I dislike CR because it discourages non-stop action and fighting (with everything).  It also means I need a fleet (either backup combat ships and/or freighters), which is unfriendly to solo cruiser/battleship play.  CR also feels artificial, a way to limit ships by blatant game mechanics.

Stingray

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »

Guys you realize that your discussing about something that isn't finish yet, like reading book that's half way written or watching picture that is not yet completed. As far i can see Alex is doing great job to make this game, well, great. There is like kazilion topic and posts where people saying that's this mechanic isn't good, that its ruining their game, that game isn't fun any more etc. You know, a lil bit of faith in Alex and his dream aint gonna hurt anybody.

It IS good to bare in mind the game is not yet finished (and hopefully everyone IS all doing that) but that doesn't mean we should stop giving feedback. With software development, constructive feedback is invaluable and the earlier it's received in the dev cycle the better.

LarvaLounge

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:27 PM »

I voted that I like it. 

I think it can use some tweaks for sure, but it does add something to the game in my opinion. 

Without CR, the strongest fleet becomes a wrecking ball that no number of enemy fleets can stop.  The CR mechanic allows for a fleet to get worn down even if it isn't losing ships.

For a long time I didn't know the details of what the 'Harry' 'Send Out Salvage Teams' 'Stand Down' options really did in game.  Using 'Stand Down' can, at times, keep you fighting much longer than pursuing an enemy to finish them off.

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »

For a long time I didn't know the details of what the 'Harry' 'Send Out Salvage Teams' 'Stand Down' options really did in game.  Using 'Stand Down' can, at times, keep you fighting much longer than pursuing an enemy to finish them off.

Ahh, or do you salvage to top off supplies to keep you fighting long-term (at your short-term expense) in the lion's den, so to speak? That's what I like about CR; there's important choices to be made.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »

why isn't Combat bonus CR reduction applied to all ships?
Because the Combat tree is for solo ships (and the only reason Optimized Assembly is fleetwide is because it's simpler than trying to apply it solely to flagship in a non-circumventable way). Fleetwide CR bonuses go in the Leadership tree, which needs to have more skills anyway.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:33 AM »

I would say it's fine for the vanilla game even if I'm not really partial to it. If people want it to be removed, I would figure someone will eventually make a mod or put it in a TC compilation.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »

Because the Combat tree is for solo ships (and the only reason Optimized Assembly is fleetwide is because it's simpler than trying to apply it solely to flagship in a non-circumventable way). Fleetwide CR bonuses go in the Leadership tree, which needs to have more skills anyway.
I am well aware most Combat bonuses go to the flagship.  However, Combat Readiness is all about combat, and I would think that the Combat tree would give something to mitigate CR for all ships (beyond the slightly expensive Automated Repair Unit hullmod).  What I fear somewhat is that Leadership might become the Combat tree for AI ships, making Combat superfluous unless the player really wants the Combat perks for a highly responsive flagship, which may not be enough to offset the loss of power from max Leadership (Fleet Logistics) and/or Technology.  (Even Leadership is required to pilot a single capital without losing LR, which was not the case previously.)  Having a leadership skill, say Drill Instructor, that gives a fraction of current flagship only bonuses to the rest of the fleet, could be fun.

Sealgaire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

Huh, judging from forum discussions I was expecting the poll to be much more skewed towards the hate option. That's the vocal minority effect at work I suppose. Can't wait to see how CR is further integrated into the campaign myself.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

I love the CR addition, but I agree that supplies are hideously expensive. Perhaps decreasing their price would make everyone happy.

Joush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 03:16:27 AM »

Like a lot of people my feelings are conflicted. I think CR, as it works now, is not implemented well and hurts the pacing and fun of the game. It's also counterinutitive. (60% CR is good and represents better then average performance.) If someone told me they were 60% ready for a fight, I'd tell them that they should get that last 40% before they go throwing punches.

I love the idea of complicated systems, however. I don't want CR removed so much as I'd like to see it replaced by Ship Condition, Crew Condition and Ammo.

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 04:11:48 AM »

ive found CR makes the game more fun to play, making a game more complex and dificult, usualy improves it. there is a point where you reach pointless complexity level, but starsector is not even close to that point...

the only improvment i can think for cr is changing it so that CR scales such that there is a diferanve between capital ship and frigate CR states
(see my sugestion thread on subject, i update it based on the responses i get)
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »

I didn't get to vote but I love the CR system, and I think that most people who hate CR actually hate something other than CR...something that CR is just highlighting... having problems with earning too many/too few supplies/profits from fleets you destroy isn't actually a problem with the CR system, it's a problem the CR system is now highlighting, but it's actually just a problem with some of the maths and numbers on enemy fleet makeups and how they reward you.  If you go around in frigates hunting buffalos you'll be swimming in credits and supplies with no downsides... if you're fighting opponents without a lot of weak freighters in their fleet though your profit margins might not be so nice.  I love how some high tech ships have totally prohibitive CR costs and some low tech but still decent ships can be deployed three times as often if you wish making them a lot better for pursuit duty whereas the higher cr cost ships are good for a tough fight.

I do agree that 60% is an odd amount to be considered perfectly fine/ready maybe the CR numbers need a bit of a tweak so that all the numbers are raised to be nearer 100%? but the costs would be raised to make the balance exactly the same?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:58:48 AM by namad »
Pages: 1 [2]