Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crew Readiness: A great concept, but WHY U SO HARD?  (Read 2904 times)

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Crew Readiness: A great concept, but WHY U SO HARD?
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

I'm a newb to the alpha of Starsector, so pardon me coming in here and being a big greenhorn and everything! I'm loving everything I've seen so far and i've been able to learn most aspects of the campaign by flipping through the forums and looking at tooltips in the campaign itself, and I assume a tutorial for the campaign will come when the game is more complete, but there's one thing I haven't been able to fully understand.

Crew Readiness, aka ER MA GERD MAH SHIPS CAN'T FIGHT!

I'm not mad or anything of the like - I actually like having a unique resource such as "Crew Readiness" that makes your fleet management much more intuitive and thought demanding than just "Whole fleet, go and ruin all things all the time." But, I don't really have a full understanding of all the ways you can regain Crew Readiness or what it means to set the maximum CR that a ship/fleet can have. In particular, is there any way to just dock with a station and regain CR by waiting while docked within the station, like a kind of shoreleave? I know you can fully repair your ships, but according to my CR log I have like a total of -200% CR readiness due to recent combat/some hull damage, and only like +90% or so due to hull repairs. I understand that you can regain combat readiness by letting time fly, but I find myself getting into fights when my CR readiness is like at 0 even while i'm at the Hegemony home base.

Is there a thread explaining the inner-workings of CR? I tried to skim through the manual for Starsector but I couldn't find anything speaking of CR. That's 100% fine since the game isn't complete, so obviously the manual can't be complete. Still, I'd just like to understand the CR resource better so that I can have more fun working with it!

Thanks.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Crew Readiness: A great concept, but WHY U SO HARD?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »

First thing, its Combat Readiness, not "Crew" Readiness. Just pointing it out to ease the concept. Let me try and explain it.

Combat readiness is the capability of a ship to engage in combat. It's been akined to having the cargo locked down, the crew to battlestations, weapons loaded, damage controlled and repairs issue.. that sort of stuff. You also have to understand the background lore points to the technology behind the ships workings and such being almost forgotten, and in general, a harsh and unforgiving place.

That combat readiness is dictated by a lot of factors from crew, the presence of an officer (you/flagship), damage taken, any refits done recently (outside a station) and other such items. I assume you're interested in maximum combat readiness and how to increase it since i have the opinion that you're going way over some limits.

Your capability as a commander allows you to oversee the logistical capabilities of your fleet, the act of maintaining an efficient and proper organized fighting force. That is represented in the logistics bar. From ships to crew and marines, each of the resources need a careful guiding hand and attention. Thus, they drain on your supply/day and increase the logistics bar, which is exactly around how much supplies you can juggle per day. Ideally you'd sit inside the limit, but carrying extra cargo, more people, more strain than you can manage will lead to very serious max CR limits (even saw -60%) which can force your fleet under its deploying need and you end up with 'dead' ships. If i know correctly if you use less, you might get a bonus to max CR, but don't quote me on that.

Second thing is crew and officers. So far we only have one officer, you, which increases the max CR of a ship by 10%. As for crew, each crew level adds 10% more max CR. With a full elite crew ship and you 'flagshipping it' you can get 100% CR.

As for recovering, be careful that at stations you need one to repair, and again to regain CR. Also, it can be grayed out even if it's unneeded, or if you don't have enough supplies to regain CR. Check up with the hover over text to see how much you need.

If the above is followed and you have max CR positive, supplies and time, if not repairing at a station, you should regain CR per day as listed in your fleet panel.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

...and Cosmitz was faster

Hi and welcome to the forum Chroma :)

You can regain maximum CR instantly (it means combat readiness BTW, not crew readiness) at stations just by clicking repair, like you did. Now obviously that did not work to your satisfaction, which might have several reasons.

1. You need the supplies to do all your repair and CR regeneration at once
2. The CR log only records sudden changes by external impacts, but your CR is regenerating allt he time. So when your total negative was -200% and your regenerated +90% through repairs, that means you regenerated +110% through normal means while in flight. Since your CR can never surpass 100%, losing 200% would be impossible otherwise.
3. As said, stations regenerate your ships to their maximum CR. But if the current maximum CR is lowered or even zero, that's not much use. So check if your logistic rating, the big fat %-number in the UI panel in the corner shows 100%. If not, uh, report back and I'll tell you what to do.

Regarding the manual, I'm currently working on the update. Can still take a while, though.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:52:01 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PixiCode

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »

Ah, so you need one series of supply to repair and another to replenish CR? That makes sense. Thanks! You all pretty much answered all of my questions and concerns now.

Thank you for the very hasty but well thought out replies!!!! I now feel like I have a proper understanding of CR.

((I also completely overexaggerated the percentages, as you probably guessed <.<))

EDIT:
Also my logistics rating is 100%. I have 1 point in leadership and 2 perk points ((Totally calling them perks)) in leadership. I'm guessing logistic % goes down if you try to support more ships than your logistics rating allows? How exactly is Logistics calculated? It says I use up 7.3 logistics by having my Hammerhead and Wolf ship. I thought each ship cost someone 1 point of logistics each...

EDIT EDIT: Also, I had already understood what CR was from a lore perspective. Obviously on a starship you can't expect someone to be ready for everything 100% of the time. I was just joking around with the "ER MA GERD MAH SHIPS CAN'T FIGHT!"
...Because that's exactly what happened to me once, and my first fleet of 3 ships was reduced down to 1 while retreating. :C
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:08:10 PM by Chroma »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:10:49 PM »

See under each ship how much supplies/day does it use. A Hound uses 1 if i remember correctly, but destroyer can use from 3 to 5 per day. Also, each crewmember uses 0.01 supplies per day and marines a LOT more, so you can't exctly keep hundreds of marines unless you want to be bleeding supplies for no real gain. And yes your logistics goes down the more you overstretch it and while it does, it decreases max CR of the ships involved.

As mentioned, the easiest way to think about it is how many supplies/day can your character process in organizing the fleet. If you played Starsector's earlier versions, those replace the old fleet-point system.

Edit: As for 'series' just be careful and look at the hover-over menu when you move hte mouse over the repair dialogue option, it will say exactly what it does, either repair or regen CR.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:15:20 PM by Cosmitz »