Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [0.6.1a] Sector of Sins v0.7 [UPDATED] TEC faction added!  (Read 28340 times)

Wunder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Sector of Sins v0.6 UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:27:19 AM »

Dude, Love both games, merging them will get your butt kicked by sins (Maybe)
I just wanna keep my new self propelled nuke Up In 3D space.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Sector of Sins v0.6 [NEW] TEC Sprites
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 12:38:37 AM »

New TEC ship sprites created. They are now included under the spoiler tag on the original post.

Wunder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 05:16:27 AM »

DAMNITT! Now I might have to reconsider...

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:43:58 AM »

Your mod gave me the idea to re-play SOASE. Bam, dozens hours drowned in it again. That game is such a drug.

For your sprites, i think you should be careful about the scale. The capitals ships are huuuuuuge. It's even more apparent when the Titans looks pretty much the same size. I know that the Ankylon is the smallest titan while the Ragnarov is (i think) the longest thing in the whole game. So yeah, most of your ships could be a bit smaller.

Also watch out, as a dedicated TEC player, i'll be merciless about the balance for this faction. ;D

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »

Yeah, I have noticed my scales are a bit off. What I'm planning to do, is get all the ships of all the factions into the mod, and get it working. Once that is all sorted, I can tweak things such as the scale and balance until it all fits.

As for the titans, they won't be directly playable, unless via debug simulator. I'm thinking of making them into a sort of boss fight fleet. I dunno, I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.

As to the ships themselves, I'm using the SOASE wiki to look at the armaments and suchlike, to try and find direct StarSector analogs. Then I'm having a StarSector ship of equivalent class open in a second editor, so I can make sure the ship I'm working on is not too over- or under-powered.

Also, Advent for the win. TEC sucks. :P

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 02:59:07 PM »

They might as well be playable, but require enough player skills that it's not feasible early on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the balance of high-end toys like that, Flash Frozen's Unsung capital ship is a great example of something so powerful it's a beauty to play around with.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

Oh come on! Let us play with the Titans in the campaign! ;D

As Ishman said, they will be probably very strong but not utterly game-breaking. A bit like the Unsung or Vatican MKIV. Also they'll have big weakness, like huge CR and supply cost.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »

I changed my mind. I sorted the scale out now, instead of doing it later. The updated sprites are in the first post.

However.

I did it a bit differently - the sprites are now all in scale with the StarSector sprites, rather than to Sins scale. So, for example, the Destra is just under three-quarters the length of a Halcyon, instead of just under half, because that's how the cruisers vs capitals scale in StarSector.

I suppose I could work out a way of scaling the ships with each other, as well as to the StarSector scale, but I don't have time, what with work and all. However, if someone volunteers pixel sizes to get the official scale right, I'll do that. The unscaled ships are saved as .psds, so it's easy enough to change the .pngs.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 12:15:04 PM by Xalendi »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »

Much better. Ships are more reasonable sized while Titans still remain frightening. By the way, will you add the rest of the Advent and TEC fleet later?

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »

The ships I haven't included don't really fit into Starsector gameplay. For example, the starfish, that's just awkward to get working. The Iconus is a destroyer chassis, but hardly any guns, and the Revelation is the same, but even worse as it's a capital ship.

As for the TEC, I forgot to sprite the trade drone, though I might do that at a later date. As for the main ships though, I think the only ones I'm missing are the Ogrov - because I forgot to sprite it - and the Cielo, for the same reasons as the Iconus and the Revelation. Not to mention, it's bloody hard to sprite.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:39:13 AM »

Goddamn American English. It's not enough that I have to spell "defence" wrong, so the ship name is accurate, but I've just spent half an hour trying to work out a bug in my code...all because Americans can't spell "manoeuvre".
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:31:57 PM by Xalendi »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

I disagree, while those ships are indeed under-armed. They still fill the role of support ship, like the Condor in Starsector. The Iconus could be a very interesting addition in the game by adding a drone shield system which would work like the shield projection. Just like that:

Spoiler
[close]

The Revelation is still decently armed, i counted 6 guns, 7 if you had the bombardment cannon. The clairvoyance ability could be interpreted as a ship system that increase the radar range during battle, like the sensors drone of the Apogee.

The Solanus isn't that tricky, it just need a new personal weapon. A modded short range MIRV with the sprite of a Flare will do the trick.

The Domina Subjugator would probably be a simple EMP support destroyer.

For the TEC, the Cielo got "Designate target" which increase damage. Shouldn't be too difficult to make it a ship system, the Hauberk from the Kadur Theocracy mod got a similar system that buff the range of your fleet.
I don't know if is possible to replicate something like the Hoshiko's reparation system, might need to ask the scripts wizards of the forum. Alternatively the Demolition bot should be pretty easy to do, basically kamikaze drones with EMP damage.

Also, how about converting the constructing frigates from the game as tug boats?

But yeah, please don't overlook the "crappy" ships. Even if they will lack firepower in the mod, they'll make up with fancy support systems. I think that's really where your mod could shine.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »

Sounds good. Let me finish all the ones I can do without learning code first, though. Then, I will go seek out the code monkeys. I like the tugboat idea.

The Ankylon is incredibly fun to play. However, I'm worried that it's a bit too strong. It can take on a Paragon and an Onslaught at once, and win. Granted, I have to target the onslaught first, otherwise the paragon's shield holds me off long enough for the onslaught to wear me down, but still...

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

I think that's the point, titans are a step above capital ships. Up to you if want to balance them that way, but I figured Titans should be that much stronger. Depends on what you're trying to balance against, really

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 09:28:35 PM »

I want them as a boss fight. Tough to beat, even for multiple capitals, but ultimately, defeatable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3