Login with username, password and session length

Poll

after you have read this post

Genius, mad genius!
well its a start
meh...
no, not really suitable
AWAY WITH YOU FOUL BEAST!
TL:DR/im so lost... how did i even get here?

Author Topic: Trade (most basic start)  (Read 2174 times)

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
Trade (most basic start)
« on: October 06, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »

I know htere have been several trade threads but this is difrent!! (so they have all said)

to introduce trade, you can do it at various levels, but lets go with the most basic comodities that we all use:
crew
suplies
fule

now what can we do with these to make them trade worthy???

first steps:
seperate the [comodities] into faction specific subsets
hemogeny crew
Tri tech crew
Pirate crew...

give a bonus to having crew that fits the race of your ship (10-15% malus)
hem crew wont work as well on tri ships ect
this will encourage people to shop around for crew

implement a demand/suply system, where stations use a % of all available comodities
ie.
100hem crew
50tri crew
10 pirate crew

turns into:
90hem crew
45tri crew
9pirate crew

and have price adjust depending on what comodity is "rare" and thus in demand
ie selling pirate crew to that station will give you a profit, and buying hem crew will be cheap

;D and thus you have the most rudimentary trade system and more fiddly stuff for people to fiddle with, wich is allways fun, because fun should be gained through dificult fiddly stuff!!!
Spoiler
[close]

if you are going for bonus points and want to make the comodity trade system FUN:
Spoiler
bonus points
+crew
--hem 100
--tri 50
--pir 10

in your trade menue cause a seperate box for each would be hell

more bonus points, instead of "factions" give crew flavours to determin their worth, ie stats

stats crew have
race, engeneering, combat, leadership,
hem, 108, 225, 42,
tri, 245, 175, 132,
pir, 85, 156, 206,

so the station has:
engeneering: 108*100+245*50+85*10=13900
combat: 225*100+175*50+156*10=32810
ledership: 42*100+132*50+206*10=12860
making both TRI and PIR crews in high demand because they can fill the defecite in engeneering and leadership stats
although in this case TRI crew is in verry high remand because it can fill both roles at the same time

hint:
although i didnt base the numbers on faction colurs did you know that faction colurs have 3 main variables that determine their colour???
hint hint hint hint [hit with the hint stick] [hit] [hit] [hit]

[close]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:46:37 PM by dmaiski »
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Trade (most basic start)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:49:35 PM »

Meh, To me that really doesn't fit with the game. Like I see where your coming from but let me say this.

A pirate can still fly a high tech ship if they have good training or experience. Although I guess that's not the point.

Well there is kinda something with that crew thing already in the game, but based aroud experience.

But the high tech low tech thing gives me an idea. Heg would probobly want high tec ships, and the tri need supplies for making high tech ships, an prirates, are the middle ground, and heg won't need supplies and tri dont need ships. So good idea, but personally I don't like the crew thing.
But.....there are going to be officers that you can hire so that could be heg tri pirate, but not for regular crew.

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »

The way things are presently set up, there are not enough items to trade to make trade a viable mechanic. Ideally, you want to start with resources you can obtain, like minerals, gases, etc. Once we have things we can do with planets, asteroids, and other stuff, you can tie the value of things with their rarity in a given system and the distance required to obtain them.

I think crew are mostly happy to fly around in space and not have to try to grow wheat from rocks on arid, crappy planets. They probably aren't super picky about who they fly for. It might be nice to sell pirates to the Hegemony for bounty money, or exchange prisoners for experienced crew, or some other thing, but since the game is going to have so many factions in it, and quite possibly a lot of fringe independents, crew by faction isn't necessarily a good way to manage costs.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »

The way things are presently set up, there are not enough items to trade to make trade a viable mechanic. Ideally, you want to start with resources you can obtain, like minerals, gases, etc. Once we have things we can do with planets, asteroids, and other stuff, you can tie the value of things with their rarity in a given system and the distance required to obtain them.

I think crew are mostly happy to fly around in space and not have to try to grow wheat from rocks on arid, crappy planets. They probably aren't super picky about who they fly for. It might be nice to sell pirates to the Hegemony for bounty money, or exchange prisoners for experienced crew, or some other thing, but since the game is going to have so many factions in it, and quite possibly a lot of fringe independents, crew by faction isn't necessarily a good way to manage costs.

This is sounding a lot like the system in Mount & Blade, where certain regions produce certain goods that others want.  Also, capturing crew, rather than killing them, you could have an option for recruiting your prisoners, selling them off, jettisoning them, or letting them go at the nearest port.

Either way, I believe ships need to be more of a valuable commodity, and not just something you get around in... they're supposed to be rare!

thebrucolac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »

The way I sell people on trying this game is by saying "It's basically Mount & Blade in space." Their faces light up like you wouldn't believe.  :)

Ships are planned to be rare and special later. That is why the present boarding mechanics are so brutal. They are being tried out for later. The map that exists now largely exists as a combat test. You need to be able to afford a ship to try it out, so they are all stunningly cheap. I imagine having a Paragon will require a small empire to accomplish in the campaign.