Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship to 0CR after buying new ship and mothballing it  (Read 3780 times)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
Ship to 0CR after buying new ship and mothballing it
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:28 AM »

Essentially what happens if you buy a ship that sends your active ships to not enough crew, and then mothball the new ships before leaving the station, your pre-existing ships still take the CR hit.

Looks like you're applying the CR hit from changes in skeleton crew requirements in station, rather than just previewing them.

Edit: this is most visible if you're in a frigate and buy a destroyer or cruiser :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:44:37 AM by Taverius »
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship to 0CR after buying new ship and mothballing it
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:05:03 AM »

Something similar happened to me twice, but without mothballing. I had a ship with high CR, bought another one at a station and my crew was spread thin, I bought new crew, departed and noticed that both of my ships were not combat ready. I can't reproduce this, though. Some step is missing.

One time I had a Hound and bought a Gemini, the other time I don't remember.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »

Yeah, can't seem to reproduce this, either. Just started a new game, bought an Onslaught, mothballed it, and the starting frigate went right back up to its maximum CR. Tried a couple of other things and it seems to be behaving.

Did make a tweak to something that could possibly be responsible, but not sure whether it actually is.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

I'll see if I can reproduce it reliably and post steps.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:27:03 AM »

Got it. It happens when you use the simulator.

To reproduce, load this save. All vanilla, saved devmode, though.
- Buy the Onslaught at the station.
- Go into the simulator with the Onslaught.
- Leave the simulator.
- Either the Tempest or the Onslaught should have 0% CR (or maybe it's just random, I have no idea).

A probably unrelated thing I noticed is that the Onsaught always has the "not combat-ready" symbol on the command UI in the simulator, regardless what level of CR is set.
Oh and peak time/fighter degeneration doesn't work in the sim, but that's probably intentional?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

Thanks, finally tracked it down! Just opening the refit screen would reset the CR to the understrength-crew-modified value. (It was doing something where it was saving the CR before adjusting it to the value specified by the top-left bar, and then resetting it... except it was resetting it to the crew-strength-modified value rather than the original.)

A probably unrelated thing I noticed is that the Onsaught always has the "not combat-ready" symbol on the command UI in the simulator, regardless what level of CR is set.

Right; let me see about that. May become a moot point if some things I want to test out work out :)

Oh and peak time/fighter degeneration doesn't work in the sim, but that's probably intentional?

Seems to work; maybe you're just not using shields/flux/etc? It won't deteriorate unless you're doing something other than flying around.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »

Seems to work; maybe you're just not using shields/flux/etc? It won't deteriorate unless you're doing something other than flying around.
[/quote]

Oops, right...must have been in 0.6a. I clearly remember infinite fighters being spawned in the sim.

May become a moot point if some things I want to test out work out :)

He, I knew you were fiddling around with that :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »

Tired late-night observation: In 0.6a the game discerned with different text messages between wings that got kicked out of combat because no flight decks were available to reproduce them in time, and 0%CR -wings that had no replacement hulls left.
In 0.61a both cases seem to get "no combat-capable craft remaining". Bug or simplification?

BTW, I still notice the "low CR fighters start and land again on carriers repeatedly"-bug, but since it's not in the patchnotes you're aware of that...?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »

Tired late-night observation: In 0.6a the game discerned with different text messages between wings that got kicked out of combat because no flight decks were available to reproduce them in time, and 0%CR -wings that had no replacement hulls left.
In 0.61a both cases seem to get "no combat-capable craft remaining". Bug or simplification?

Fairly sure it was a simplification.

BTW, I still notice the "low CR fighters start and land again on carriers repeatedly"-bug, but since it's not in the patchnotes you're aware of that...?

Yeah, haven't tracked this down or been able to reproduce it, unfortunately.

(Btw: Cpt. Bughunter looks like he/she means business, with the visor down and all. Don't mess with him/her!)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 02:27:17 AM »

Yeah, haven't tracked this down or been able to reproduce it, unfortunately.

Bam, got it! Very simple: If a bomber/fighter is set to return to carrier when its missile weapons are spent - guess what happens if he starts from the carrier without missile weapons due to low CR. You can easily reproduce this by loading an enemy trident_wing and a carrier into the simulator and then whittle it down.  

Fairly sure it was a simplification.

I agree with that, but maybe use a different message if a wing is permanently destroyed due to the absence of any flight decks?

(Btw: Cpt. Bughunter looks like he/she means business, with the visor down and all. Don't mess with him/her!)

She's actually just helping out her brother Cpt. Manual, who is travelling the sector as a photographer to take informative pictures of local game mechanics and is sometimes stumbling over some space bugs in the process :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:19:05 AM by Gothars »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »

Ahh, thank you! I wasn't testing it with the right types of fighters. Why would it happen with Piranhas, as was reported a few times? The bombs aren't the "missile" type and are fully loaded at 0 CR.

The "missile" aspect of CR probably just shouldn't apply to fighters, period - made the change.

So, that's good, and I was able to reproduce the problem with Daggers and confirm it's fixed. The question of why it was happening with Piranhas still remains, though. Actually, I got it - it'd happen with Piranhas because their Swarmer is out of ammo and the enemy had no more destroyer+ sized ships left, causing them to disregard the bomb bay entirely when making the decision to return. Ok, good - this is all fixed up.